NEWS
FCT Poll: Votes Allegedly Sold For Up To ₦10,000 — CSO
The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room has alleged that votes were traded for as much as ₦10,000 during Saturday’s 2026 Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections.
Addressing journalists in Abuja, co-convener Celestine Odo said while the elections were largely peaceful, observers recorded widespread vote buying and delays in the commencement of voting across several polling units.
According to Odo, open vote trading was reported in parts of the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), particularly in Gidan Mangoro Ward, where votes were allegedly exchanged for up to ₦10,000 each.
ALSO READ: FCT Elections: ADC Raises Alarm Over Wike’s Presence At Polling Units
In other locations, vote buying was carried out discreetly but still observed.
“The late arrival of officials and electoral materials contributed to delayed polling in many units, with an average start time of about 9:15 am,” Odo said.
He noted that some areas, including parts of Kwali Area Council, saw voting begin on time due to timely arrival of INEC personnel and materials.
Voter turnout was low in parts of AMAC during the early hours, but improved later in Kuje, Kwali, Gwagwalada, and Abaji Area Councils as queues formed.
Some voters also struggled to locate polling units after last-minute relocations, despite receiving notifications from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Odo added that the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) performed efficiently in most units, taking about one minute per voter, though there were malfunctions in a few locations in Gwagwalada and Abuja city centre.
On security, he said police and other agencies were largely professional, though isolated incidents of intimidation and disorder occurred in Kuje, Abaji, and Gwagwalada.
Security operatives quickly contained the disturbances.
Despite these challenges, the Situation Room commended the INEC FCT Help Desk for its swift response to issues raised by observers and urged stakeholders to remain calm as results are collated.
The elections featured 637 candidates from 17 political parties contesting 68 elective positions — 62 councillorship seats and six area council chairmanships — for over 1.6 million registered voters across the FCT.
?
NEWS
With Sights Restored, NNPC/Shell Vision First Outreach Makes Mark in Badagry
Nearly 3,000 people in Badagry Local Government Area of Lagos State benefitted from the latest edition of the Vision First initiative of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Limited (SNEPCo), last week.
Biztellers reports that on the first day alone, 38 patients had surgeries which restored their sights.
The beneficiaries expressed gratitude to the NNPC Ltd/SNEPCo for the treatment, saying the restoration of their sights would help reintegrate them into society.
READ ALSO: Pipeline Surveillance Crucial for $50bn Upstream Investment
A total of 2,297 people were seen by the medical team of which 1,458 had eye care services with 154 surgeries for cataract and 878 spectacles dispensed. This was in addition to more than 200 general surgeries. There were long queues as people turned out early from different parts of the local government area to take advantage of the services in the five-day outreach.
SNEPCo Managing Director, Ronald Adams commented: “We believe that caring for people goes beyond business; it is a responsibility and a privilege. That is why we remain committed to supporting initiatives that strengthen communities and create lasting impact.”
The Badagry outreach was the 6th since the inception of the Vision First initiative in 2022. Late last year, the first session outside Lagos was held in Asaba, Delta State where nearly 2,000 people received healthcare.
The Vision First programme incorporates other aspects of health care such as cardiovascular screening, consultations and treatment for mild and chronic illnesses, laboratory services, pharmaceutical services and distribution of insecticide-treated nets.
The programme has been delivered in collaboration with Kolmarg Eyesight Foundation, an NGO based in Jos, Plateau State, which aims “to provide comprehensive eye care to the poor and underprivileged in Sub-Saharan Africa.”
SNEPCo, which pioneered deepwater oil production in Nigeria through the Bonga field in 2005, also supports the socio-economic development of the country through investments in education, health, employment generation and infrastructural development.
NEWS
Osun 2026: Tinubu Congratulated Adeleke Before INEC Declared Him Winner — Accord Chieftain
President Bola Tinubu congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his victory in the 2026 governorship election before the Independent National Electoral Commission formally declared him winner, an Accord Party chieftain, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has disclosed.
Olajengbesi made the disclosure while speaking with journalists at the INEC collation centre in Osogbo shortly after Adeleke was declared winner of the election.
He commended Tinubu for what he described as the President’s decision not to interfere with the electoral process, saying it demonstrated his commitment to ensuring that the election was free, fair and credible.
SEE MORE: Osun 2026: Oyebanji Applauds Adeleke, Says Voters Have Spoken
According to him, the President had earlier directed INEC and security agencies to ensure that the election met the required standards.
However, Olajengbesi said the poll could not be considered entirely free and fair, alleging that opposition supporters were subjected to oppression and arrests.
“Let me be honest with you, we are also appreciative of Mr. President because at the commencement of this election, Mr. President himself announced to the world and gave a directive to INEC and all security agencies that this election must be free, fair, and credible.
“We want to believe that this election is very credible, but we do not agree that this election is free and fair because it was oppressive. Our people are still in detention. As I speak to you today, even during the election, over 11 persons were arrested in the process.”
Despite his concerns, Olajengbesi praised Tinubu for allowing the electoral process to continue and respecting the outcome.
“We are glad that the president was able to stand by his word and insist that the right thing must be done,” he said.
He further revealed that Tinubu had contacted Adeleke to congratulate him before INEC formally announced the result.
“Let me tell you this quickly: even before the result was declared yesterday night, Mr. President called Mr. Governor and congratulated him, and that is good leadership,” Olajengbesi said.
Adeleke won the election with 511,067 votes, defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who secured 444,815 votes.
NEWS
Empower Police Wives to Boost Officers’ Morale — NPTF
The Nigeria Police Trust Fund (NPTF) has called for greater empowerment of police officers’ wives, saying economically empowered families can boost the morale, stability and effectiveness of personnel.
The Fund made the call after training and equipping 100 wives of police officers in Kogi State with tailoring and hairstyling starter packs.
SEE MORE: State Police Bill: FG Extends Deadline for Nigerians to Submit Memoranda
The empowerment programme, which was held at the 37 Squadron, Police Mobile Force (MOPOL) Barracks, Lokoja, was designed to equip the beneficiaries with vocational skills and tools to establish sustainable sources of income.
Speaking at the closing ceremony, the Executive Secretary of the NPTF, Alhaji Mohammed Sheidu, represented by Salihu Aliyu, said the initiative was aimed at strengthening the families behind police officers who often operate under demanding and hazardous conditions.
He said, “By providing these starter packs, the Fund is creating opportunities for beneficiaries to become economically empowered, develop sustainable sources of income and contribute meaningfully to the wellbeing of their families.
“These starter packs represent opportunity, empowerment, hope and a pathway towards self-reliance.”
Sheidu urged the beneficiaries to regard the equipment as an investment in their future and utilise the skills acquired during the training to establish viable businesses.
Also speaking, the Kogi State Commissioner of Police, CP Naziru Bello Kankarofi, represented by DCP Baba Mallam, stressed the importance of supporting police wives as part of efforts to improve the welfare and effectiveness of police personnel.
He said, “The welfare of the police extends beyond our officers to the families who support them and make their service possible. Our officers make enormous sacrifices in the service of our nation.
“An empowered family is a stronger family. Such families contribute significantly to the morale, stability and effectiveness of officers.”
Kankarofi commended the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Disu, for his commitment to the welfare of police personnel and their families, while appreciating the NPTF for sponsoring the empowerment programme.
He urged the beneficiaries to put the skills and equipment to productive use and turn them into sustainable sources of livelihood.
The Chairperson of the Police Officers’ Wives Association (POWA), Kogi State Chapter, Mrs Asmau Kankarofi, described the starter packs as “seeds of economic independence” for the beneficiaries.
She said police wives remained a vital source of encouragement, strength and support to their husbands and families, particularly given the sacrifices associated with policing.
“We understand the sacrifices that come with the policing profession. As wives, we remain a vital source of encouragement, strength and support to our husbands and families,” she said.
She urged the beneficiaries to utilise the equipment judiciously and support one another in building sustainable businesses.
The beneficiaries expressed appreciation to the NPTF and pledged to make productive use of the equipment to improve the welfare of their families.





