Connect with us

Politics

2023: G-5 PDP Governors Agree To Support Tinubu For Presidency

Published

on

Again PDP G5 Govs, Others In Closed-Door Session In Lagos

 

The five aggrieved Peoples Democratic Party governors have demanded the support of the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, for the PDP governorship and senatorial candidates in their respective states, according to a PUNCH report.

It was gathered on Thursday that this was part of the conditions presented to Tinubu during his meeting with the PDP governors in London, United Kingdom, on Tuesday.

In attendance at the meeting were Governors Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Samuel Ortom (Benue) and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu states.

The governors alongside Donald Duke, Jonah Jang, Olusegun Mimiko, former governors of Cross River, Ondo and Plateau states, respectively, as well as a Board of Trustees member, Chief Bode George, are defiant in their call for the removal of Iyorchia Ayu as the national chairman of the party.

A reliable source disclosed that the five governors were concerned about their political careers and sought assurances from Tinubu.

Though Wike is not contesting for any position in the 2023 elections, he was said to be concerned about his protégé, Siminalayi Fubara, who is the Rivers State PDP governorship candidate and the PDP senatorial candidates in the state.

On the other hand, Makinde is running for a second term while Ortom will be contesting as the Benue North-West Senatorial District candidate in the polls.

Also, Ikpeazu is the PDP candidate for Abia South Senatorial District and Ugwuanyi is running for the Enugu North Senatorial District.

However, there are different accounts of the final decisions of both the governors and Tinubu on the demand.

A source close to Tinubu told newsmen that a final agreement could not be reached as a result of the ‘complex demands’ by the governors.

According to him, the PDP governors made an overture to Tinubu to guarantee both the senatorial and governorship seats in their states, a demand the former Lagos State governor could not grant immediately as he needed to consult with his advisers and loyalists.

The APC chieftain confided in our correspondent that Tinubu may not be willing to concede to the demand with less than two months to the 2023 elections.

He said, “The G-5 governors do not hold the four aces. As it stands, they are actually seeking shelter. The major hitch we have is that all the members of the G-5 demanded for the governorship and senatorial seats in exchange for the big prize.

“Now, the question is, are we going to throw our people in Rivers, Plateau and Benue under the bus? I am worried about Benue, where we have low-hanging fruits. Of course, it is obvious we are set to win Benue with Reverend Father Hyacinth Alia, who we are sure will sweep the governorship poll.

 

“There is also the APC governorship candidate (Teslim) Folarin who is prominent in Oyo. These are complex situations we are still grappling with and I can tell you that is where we are. The PDP governors are astute people who are very good in politics.’’

The source also noted that there were increasing pressures on the APC presidential candidate to call the bluff of the Integrity Group by not conceding any positions to them.

Except for Rivers, the party chieftain said it had been projected that Benue and Oyo would fall because of the volume of mobilisation campaigns that had been carried out in the two states.

“Whether Makinde likes it or not, Oyo will fall. Abia has never been our ground. We also lost in Enugu and Benue in 2019 where we failed to get 25 per cent. Yet, we still won the presidency.

“I can tell you without Ortom, we have a very good chance of winning Benue in 2023 with Reverend Father Hyacinth Alia. But we know Rivers State is where we are very vulnerable and may need Wike to push up. These are the five states that we lost yet won the presidential election in 2019.

“The truth, however, remains that Asiwaju knows that these five states are not the tipping points to win. It is just to make his victory double sure that we have to pitch tent with them. But as I told you, they are not in a position to stamp their feet, draw the line and impose conditions on Asiwaju. Their support is inevitable because these governors really have nowhere else to go,” he said confidently.

On whether there is a chance Tinubu might meet the group again in January before they announce their preferred candidate, the politician disclosed that the negotiation had not ended.

 

He said, “It is an ongoing conversation. The point is that Asiwaju must carry the people (candidates) within those states along with our internal structures. Asiwaju must consider these factors before opting for a pyrrhic victory. He will talk to other leaders of our party.”

But a source in the PDP governors’ camp confirmed the demand they placed before Tinubu. He, however, said that a decision had been taken regarding the governors’ support for the APC standard bearer.

“Agreements have been reached and decisions have been taken. The announcement will be made in January. The people will be informed on the decisions that have been made,” he said.

On his part, the Media Director of the Tinubu-Shettima presidential campaign council, Bayo Onanuga, declined comments on the issue.

Onanuga stated that aside from knowing that the governors were backing his principal, he had no idea about their alleged conditions.

“I don’t want to speculate on this issue. I don’t know what was discussed. But I know that the G-5 governors are backing Bola Tinubu. I can’t go further than that.

“After all, the governors said they will announce their preferred candidate in January. Why not wait for them?” he stated.

 

Also, a presidential aide, Bashir Ahmad, in a tweet on Thursday, stated, “The offer put forward by the five governors was fantastically positive. That will definitely help us seal our victory. Let us do it together.”

The spokesman for the Tinubu-Shettima presidential campaign council, Festus Keyamo, also shied away from discussing the G-5 demands.

Instead, he blamed the leadership of the PDP for the woes in the party.

Keyamo disclosed that he had always known long before now that collapsing the zoning process to accommodate the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, would lead to the implosion of the party.

He stated, “The PDP has turned to a caricature that people now laugh at. We always knew the PDP implosion will come even before the primaries. We were waiting for it to happen.

“When it was very obvious to zone the presidency to the South, the PDP was too scared to take the bold step. Whereas, this same thing could have happened to us if the Northern APC governors had not risen to the challenge boldly and zoned the presidency to the South.

“Even when the ruling party was dilly-dallying on the issue, the governors took the bull by the horn and zoned it to save the APC from this kind of implosion the PDP is having. This is what they should have done. They actually met and agreed the presidency should come to the South in Asaba but (Delta State governor, Ifeanyi) Okowa stabbed them in the back.’’

Meanwhile, there are indications that the aggrieved PDP governors would arrive in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital on Friday (today) after their meeting with Tinubu in the UK.

The PUNCH gathered that they equally met with a former Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, who has been in detention in London for alleged involvement in an attempted organ harvesting since June.

A close aide of one of the governors dismissed the threat by the PDP leadership to sanction the governors, saying they did nothing wrong to warrant the invocation of relevant provisions of the party constitution on the discipline of members.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity stated, “They will brief the press tomorrow (today) as soon as they arrive in Port Harcourt. They may speak on their preferred candidate of course but their stand is that the party cannot sanction them because they have not done anything wrong.

‘’As it is, they believe they are championing a cause backed by the PDP constitution in matters of fairness and equity. So, their argument is that they are on track in demanding that after eight years of Presidency in the North; the South should be supported to have a shot at it.’’

In his reaction, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Debo Ologunagba told newsmen that the PDP would not address the issue until the governors speak on their preferred candidate, saying, “Ours is a party of order and rules. Until we get to the bridge, we won’t cross it.”

On his part, the immediate past National Secretary of the party and member of NEC, Ibrahim Tsauri said the leadership of the party would act at the appropriate time.

Politics

APC Gains Over 11,000 Members in Bauchi Amid Leadership Crisis

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Bauchi State has received more than 11,000 new members from various political parties, but the development has been overshadowed by the absence of several prominent party leaders at the reception held in Azare.

The event, which took place at the Azare Township Stadium on Saturday, was organised to formally welcome the defectors into the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Speaking at the event, the APC state chairman, Alhaji Hassan Mohammed Tilde, said more than 150,000 people had recently joined the party across Bauchi State.

ALSO READ: 2027 Race Begins as APC Completes 100% Candidate Upload to INEC

He described the growing membership as evidence of the APC’s increasing popularity in the state and expressed confidence that the party would emerge victorious in the 2027 elections.

Among those formally received into the party were Yusuf Mohammed Bako, a former member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Allied Peoples Movement (APM) and African Democratic Congress (ADC); Hassana Arkila, who defected from the APM; and Hajiya Zainab Baban Takko, a former member of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP).

The APC governorship running mate, Dr Farouk Mustapha, presented the directory containing the names of the new members to the party’s state leader and Minister of Health, Prof. Mohammed Ali Pate.

Mustapha said the list would subsequently be forwarded to the APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda.

Describing his return to the APC as a return to familiar political territory, Mustapha expressed optimism that the party would win all elective positions in Bauchi State in 2027.

However, the gathering was notable for the absence of several influential APC figures, including former Foreign Affairs Minister, Ambassador Yusuf Maitama Tuggar; former Bauchi State Governor and Renewed Hope Ambassador/Coordinator for the North-East, Mallam Isa Yuguda; former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara; and governorship aspirants Alhaji Nura Manu Soro and Bala Maijama’a Wunti.

No official explanation was immediately given for their absence.

However, some party members and insiders, who spoke on condition of anonymity, linked the development to lingering disagreements over internal party democracy and the processes surrounding the selection of candidates for the 2027 elections.

Some members also alleged irregularities during recent party primaries, claiming that election materials were not distributed to some polling units and that certain voters were not adequately informed about the exercise.

The alleged grievances have triggered calls for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, to intervene and reconcile aggrieved members and aspirants.

Party stakeholders warned that failure to resolve the disputes could undermine the APC’s recent membership gains and weaken its prospects in the 2027 elections.

While the influx of new members represents a significant boost to the APC’s political structure in Bauchi, the reported leadership disagreements could pose a challenge to the party’s efforts to consolidate its position ahead of the 2027 polls.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Kebbi Gov Drops Deputy, Picks New Running Mate

Published

on

Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, has replaced his deputy, Senator Umar Tafida, with former Commissioner for Finance, Alhaji Ibrahim Augie, as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

The development was announced on Sunday in Birnin Kebbi by the All Progressives Congress National Organising Secretary, Alhaji Suleiman Argungu.

According to a statement by the Kebbi State Government, Argungu said the decision followed professional legal advice concerning the eligibility of the incumbent deputy governor.

SEE ALSO: 2027 Presidency: ADP Candidate Raises Alarm Over Plot to Replace Him

“The present Deputy Governor was dropped as the running mate to Governor Nasir Idris Kauran Gwandu for the 2027 general election based on professional legal advice,” Argungu said.

He explained that the decision was taken with Tafida’s understanding and consent, stressing that there was no disagreement between the governor and his deputy.

Argungu subsequently announced Augie as the new running mate to Governor Idris for the 2027 governorship election.

He called on APC members, politicians and supporters across Kebbi State to accept the development and unite behind the party ahead of the 2027 election.

Governor Idris also dismissed suggestions of a rift between him and Tafida, urging continued unity, support and cooperation as his administration pursues further development across the state.

Augie, who hails from Augie Local Government Area of Kebbi State, served as Commissioner for Finance during the administration of former Governor Atiku Bagudu.

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun 2026: Oyebanji Applauds Adeleke, Says Voters Have Spoken

Published

on

Adeleke Dissolves All Non- Statutory Boards In Osun

Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, saying the outcome of the August 15 governorship election reflects the choice of the people.

The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Adeleke the winner of the keenly contested election on Sunday.

Oyebanji, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode, described Adeleke’s victory as an expression of the preference of the majority of Osun voters.

SEE MORE: ‘Retract Your Claims or Face ₦10bn Suit’ — Adeleke’s Campaign Spokesman Warns Fadahunsi

“This is democracy, and the majority of Osun voters have expressed their preference for the re-election of Governor Adeleke,” Oyebanji said.

He congratulated Adeleke on his electoral victory and urged him to be magnanimous in victory by carrying other contestants along in the task of building a more prosperous Osun State.

Oyebanji also commended the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, describing him as “a worthy challenger” and applauding Osun APC members for putting up a strong fight during the election.

He urged the opposition party to return to the drawing board and strategise for future elections.

The Ekiti governor also praised President Bola Tinubu for what he described as providing a level playing field for all candidates, arguing that the move helped reduce tension and contributed to a credible contest.

“We must specially appreciate our dear President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, for providing a level playing field for all the contestants.

This singular act of the President reduced tension and made the contest a credible one,” he said.

Oyebanji further commended INEC and the security agencies for their roles in conducting the election.

He, however, cautioned against interpreting Adeleke’s victory as a rejection of Tinubu by Osun voters, predicting that the state would massively support the President in the 2027 election.

“The outcome of the Osun Governorship election should not be misinterpreted as a true reflection of Osun people about President Bola Tinubu. Certainly not. The people of Osun will massively vote for President Tinubu come January 2027,” Oyebanji added.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x