Connect with us

Energy

BREAKING: NNPC Intensifies Efforts To Steady Fuel Supply

Published

on

 

It appears that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd) is leaving no stone unturned to restore normalcy in the supply of fuel to meet demand in Nigeria.

Biztellers reports that a strong team of the NNPC Ltd and the Nigeria Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) have been out on Tuesday, inspecting activities at the retail outlets in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

The state oil company took to its verified handle on micro-blogging site, X to announce that efforts were being intensified to ensure that normalcy was restored in the shortest possible time.

READ ALSO: BREAKING: NNPC Blames Logistics Challenges, Flooding Cause For Fuel Queues

It stated, “Earlier today, NNPC Ltd and the Nigeria Midstream & Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) embarked on a joint inspection tour of filling stations in the FCT Abuja, to assess the improving fuel supply situation in the Capital.

“During the tour, NNPC Ltd’s Executive Vice President, Downstream, Mr. Dapo Segun and Executive Director, Distribution Systems, Storage and Retailing Infrastructure of the NMDPRA, Mr. Ogbugo Ukoha assured that all relevant stakeholders are working round the clock to resolve the logistics challenges and restore normalcy to the affected areas.”

Energy

UAE Oil Giant Says Vessel Attacked in Hormuz Strait

Published

on

The United Arab Emirates’ state-owned oil giant ADNOC said Saturday one of its vessels came under attack in the Hormuz strait, the latest incident in the waterway at the centre of the US-Iran conflict.

Tehran has imposed an effective blockade of the strait, a vital shipping route for global energy supplies, carrying out strikes on commercial ships since the war began in February.

The Islamic republic has said it wants to charge users for passage, which Washington fiercely opposes.

The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) “confirmed that one of its vessels was attacked while transiting the Strait of Hormuz on the evening of Friday, August 14”, according to the official WAM news agency, but reported no injuries.

In its statement, ADNOC stressed the importance of protecting seafarers and safeguarding freedom of navigation and maritime security.

After the attack, UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash said the Gulf state would defend its “rights to freedom of navigation” in the Strait of Hormuz.

“The repeated targeting of ADNOC tankers will not deter the UAE from pursuing a balanced and prudent policy based on the three pillars of deterrence, diplomacy, and adherence to international law,” he wrote in a post on X.

“We will exert every effort to strengthen a unified Gulf position, as it is a fundamental pillar for protecting the security of the region and the interests of its member states in this ongoing crisis.”

READ ALSO: NGOs Get Long-term Backing from NNPC Ltd, FIRST E&P

The announcement came a day after the UAE accused Iran of attacking two vessels linked to ADNOC as they passed through the strait.

The UAE foreign ministry condemned what it called a “hostile Iranian attack” on the vessels and said no injuries had been reported.

Last week, ADNOC reported that three of its tankers had been attacked in the waterway, while the Emirati foreign ministry separately announced an attack on another ADNOC tanker a day later.

Continued attacks in the strait, which was free to transit before the Middle East war began, led to the collapse of an April ceasefire between the United States and Iran.

A June deal — meant to serve as a jumping-off point for negotiations on a permanent settlement — had said Iran and Oman, also bordering the waterway, would hash out future arrangements for the strait in discussion with other Gulf countries and “in line with the applicable international law”.

Last week, Iranian official Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr set out a series of conditions for reopening the strait fully, including an end to what he described as war against Iran and its regional allies, the lifting of sanctions and compensation for wartime damage.

Courtesy – AFP

Continue Reading

Energy

FG Contemplates Direct Crude Supplies, Discounts to Refineries

Published

on

Nigeria Earns N12.4tn from Crude Oil in 11 Months – Report

In the bid to ease crude oil offtake by domestic refiners, address pricing and logistics challenges, the Nigerian government is taking a look at proposals for direct crude supplies and discounts to domestic refineries.

The Crude Oil Refinery-owners Association of Nigeria (CORAN), revealed that the proposals touch on allowing producers to deliver crude directly to nearby refineries and granting refiners a discount for transportation and handling costs embedded in the price of crude.

This was disclosed in a report by Reuters on Wednesday.

The report read, “The Federal Government is considering changes to crude allocation and pricing rules to improve feedstock access for its refiners, including Dangote Refinery.”

READ ALSO: NMDPRA Licenses LCFE for Petroleum Liquids Trading

The review comes as compliance with the domestic crude supply framework improved sharply in the second quarter of 2026, although refiners continue to complain that the cost and structure of domestic crude transactions make locally sourced feedstock expensive.

A spokesperson for CORAN, Eche Idoko, told Reuters that one of the proposals would enable producers, particularly those operating within international oil companies’ networks, to deliver crude directly to refineries located close to their production facilities.

Under the arrangement, the crude volumes could subsequently be reconciled at the relevant terminal, potentially reducing the need to transport the crude through longer trunkline routes.

Idoko said the proposal would bring crude closer to refineries while reducing some of the logistics costs associated with domestic supply. A second proposal would address the pricing component of domestic crude transactions.

Under the arrangement, refiners that lift crude directly from production facilities could receive a discount corresponding to freight and handling costs incorporated into the Brent-linked price of crude but which the refiners do not actually incur.

Idoko described the proposed arrangement as beneficial to both sides of the transaction. “Under one proposal, a producer linked to an IOC’s network could deliver crude directly to a nearby refinery, with volumes reconciled later at the terminal.

“This would reduce reliance on trunklines and bring crude closer to refiners. A second proposal would allow refiners that lift crude directly from production facilities to receive a discount reflecting the freight and handling costs embedded in Brent-linked pricing but not actually incurred by them. This could be a win-win for both the producers and refiners,” the report noted.

The proposed changes are coming against the backdrop of complaints by local refiners that the pricing structure for domestic crude makes their feedstock more expensive than necessary.

Recall that the Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals (DPRP) had estimated that Nigeria’s pricing structure could add between $3 and $4 per barrel to the cost of crude purchased by domestic refiners because transactions are often routed through trading arms of producers.

Energy analysts have similarly identified pricing, rather than the physical availability of crude, as one of the major challenges facing domestic refiners. The issue is particularly significant for the Dangote Refinery, Africa’s largest refinery, which has a nameplate capacity of 700,000 barrels per day.

Although the refinery has significantly increased its operations, securing adequate volumes of locally produced crude at competitive prices remains a key issue for the development of Nigeria’s refining industry.

Continue Reading

Energy

Nigeria Beats OPEC Quota for Third Month

Published

on

Nigeria’s crude oil production averaged 1.238m bpd in June – OPEC

Nigeria has met and exceeded its Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) quota of 1.5mbpd for the third consecutive month.

The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday.

The statement has it that in July 2026, Nigeria produced 1.505mbpd of crude oil and 0.17mbpd of condensate, making combined daily production to 1.67mbpd.

During the month under review, the daily peak production of crude oil and condensate was 1.78mbpd, while the lowest daily production was 1.57mbpd.

Although Nigeria met its OPEC quota in July, the statistics show that, on a month-on-month basis, production fell by 4 per cent.

READ ALSO: NNPC/Shell Vision First Initiative Impact over 10,000

The NUPRC attributed the decline in production to operational challenges at the Erha and Akpo fields, which affected output during the period under review.

These disruptions constrained production volumes and contributed significantly to the overall reduction in national crude oil output.

Despite the challenges, production operations across most other producing assets remained relatively stable, with operators implementing measures to maintain production efficiency and minimise the impact of operational constraints.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x