Connect with us

Politics

Crisis In Edo: LG Chairmen Impeached Amid Violence, Controversy

Published

on

Edo Cult Clash Leave 10 Dead In Three Days

Edo State’s local government councils have been plunged into chaos, with three chairmen facing impeachment proceedings amid accusations of violence, unconstitutional actions, and political interference.

The affected councils — Uhunmwonde, Orhionmwon, and Owan East — are witnessing escalating tensions that threaten governance and stability.

In Uhunmwonde Local Government Area, tensions escalated on Tuesday when gunmen allegedly attacked bystanders, leaving several injured.

READ MORE: Why Arsenal Might Make No Signing In January – Arteta

The council chairman, Kenneth Adodo, accused the attackers of being policemen sent from the Edo State Government House.

“The people who came to shoot were policemen from the Government House,” Adodo alleged.

The incident followed moves by councillors to impeach the local government leadership, intensifying concerns about safety and order in the area.

Leadership Dispute in Orhionmwon

In Orhionmwon Local Government Area, councillors impeached the Leader of the House, Hon. Daniel Osariemen, on Wednesday, replacing him with Hon. Chuks Isan.

The impeachment was reportedly an attempt to preempt a suspected plot by Osariemen to oust the council chairman, Hon. Newman Ugiagbe, and his deputy, Midwest Ogbebor.

Osariemen later led a group of unidentified individuals to seize the council secretariat in Abudu, where he declared himself acting chairman.

Ugiagbe, in a statement issued by his press secretary, Roy Osariemen, dismissed the action as illegal.

“The action in Abudu is illegal. I remain the chairman of the Orhionmwon Local Government Area,” Ugiagbe asserted.

In Owan East, Chairman Prince Aminu Okodo-Kadiri has described his impeachment as unconstitutional and vowed to challenge the process in court.

Addressing journalists in Benin City on Thursday, Okodo-Kadiri outlined several irregularities, including the absence of a seven-member investigative panel as mandated by the Edo State Local Government Law of 2000 (amended in 2002).

He also alleged that the councillors used an unofficial mace during the impeachment and that two of the councillors who participated had been suspended for gross misconduct.

“The process violated the provisions of the law,” Okodo-Kadiri said. “The governor alleged that council chairmen embezzled ₦50 million meant for salaries, but this claim lacks merit. Monthly salary expenditures far exceed ₦50 million, and salaries were paid up to November. If funds were misappropriated, where is the proof? Our bank records are clear, and no salaries are owed.”

Okodo-Kadiri further criticized the lack of due process in reinstating the suspended councillors. “Their participation rendered the proceedings invalid. My office was never notified of their reinstatement,” he added.

The embattled chairman vowed to seek redress through the judiciary. “I trust the courts to restore justice and uphold the rule of law,” he said.

 

 

Politics

APC Gains Over 11,000 Members in Bauchi Amid Leadership Crisis

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Bauchi State has received more than 11,000 new members from various political parties, but the development has been overshadowed by the absence of several prominent party leaders at the reception held in Azare.

The event, which took place at the Azare Township Stadium on Saturday, was organised to formally welcome the defectors into the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Speaking at the event, the APC state chairman, Alhaji Hassan Mohammed Tilde, said more than 150,000 people had recently joined the party across Bauchi State.

ALSO READ: 2027 Race Begins as APC Completes 100% Candidate Upload to INEC

He described the growing membership as evidence of the APC’s increasing popularity in the state and expressed confidence that the party would emerge victorious in the 2027 elections.

Among those formally received into the party were Yusuf Mohammed Bako, a former member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Allied Peoples Movement (APM) and African Democratic Congress (ADC); Hassana Arkila, who defected from the APM; and Hajiya Zainab Baban Takko, a former member of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP).

The APC governorship running mate, Dr Farouk Mustapha, presented the directory containing the names of the new members to the party’s state leader and Minister of Health, Prof. Mohammed Ali Pate.

Mustapha said the list would subsequently be forwarded to the APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda.

Describing his return to the APC as a return to familiar political territory, Mustapha expressed optimism that the party would win all elective positions in Bauchi State in 2027.

However, the gathering was notable for the absence of several influential APC figures, including former Foreign Affairs Minister, Ambassador Yusuf Maitama Tuggar; former Bauchi State Governor and Renewed Hope Ambassador/Coordinator for the North-East, Mallam Isa Yuguda; former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara; and governorship aspirants Alhaji Nura Manu Soro and Bala Maijama’a Wunti.

No official explanation was immediately given for their absence.

However, some party members and insiders, who spoke on condition of anonymity, linked the development to lingering disagreements over internal party democracy and the processes surrounding the selection of candidates for the 2027 elections.

Some members also alleged irregularities during recent party primaries, claiming that election materials were not distributed to some polling units and that certain voters were not adequately informed about the exercise.

The alleged grievances have triggered calls for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, to intervene and reconcile aggrieved members and aspirants.

Party stakeholders warned that failure to resolve the disputes could undermine the APC’s recent membership gains and weaken its prospects in the 2027 elections.

While the influx of new members represents a significant boost to the APC’s political structure in Bauchi, the reported leadership disagreements could pose a challenge to the party’s efforts to consolidate its position ahead of the 2027 polls.

Continue Reading

Politics

2027: Kebbi Gov Drops Deputy, Picks New Running Mate

Published

on

Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, has replaced his deputy, Senator Umar Tafida, with former Commissioner for Finance, Alhaji Ibrahim Augie, as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

The development was announced on Sunday in Birnin Kebbi by the All Progressives Congress National Organising Secretary, Alhaji Suleiman Argungu.

According to a statement by the Kebbi State Government, Argungu said the decision followed professional legal advice concerning the eligibility of the incumbent deputy governor.

SEE ALSO: 2027 Presidency: ADP Candidate Raises Alarm Over Plot to Replace Him

“The present Deputy Governor was dropped as the running mate to Governor Nasir Idris Kauran Gwandu for the 2027 general election based on professional legal advice,” Argungu said.

He explained that the decision was taken with Tafida’s understanding and consent, stressing that there was no disagreement between the governor and his deputy.

Argungu subsequently announced Augie as the new running mate to Governor Idris for the 2027 governorship election.

He called on APC members, politicians and supporters across Kebbi State to accept the development and unite behind the party ahead of the 2027 election.

Governor Idris also dismissed suggestions of a rift between him and Tafida, urging continued unity, support and cooperation as his administration pursues further development across the state.

Augie, who hails from Augie Local Government Area of Kebbi State, served as Commissioner for Finance during the administration of former Governor Atiku Bagudu.

Continue Reading

Politics

Osun 2026: Oyebanji Applauds Adeleke, Says Voters Have Spoken

Published

on

Adeleke Dissolves All Non- Statutory Boards In Osun

Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, saying the outcome of the August 15 governorship election reflects the choice of the people.

The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Adeleke the winner of the keenly contested election on Sunday.

Oyebanji, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode, described Adeleke’s victory as an expression of the preference of the majority of Osun voters.

SEE MORE: ‘Retract Your Claims or Face ₦10bn Suit’ — Adeleke’s Campaign Spokesman Warns Fadahunsi

“This is democracy, and the majority of Osun voters have expressed their preference for the re-election of Governor Adeleke,” Oyebanji said.

He congratulated Adeleke on his electoral victory and urged him to be magnanimous in victory by carrying other contestants along in the task of building a more prosperous Osun State.

Oyebanji also commended the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, describing him as “a worthy challenger” and applauding Osun APC members for putting up a strong fight during the election.

He urged the opposition party to return to the drawing board and strategise for future elections.

The Ekiti governor also praised President Bola Tinubu for what he described as providing a level playing field for all candidates, arguing that the move helped reduce tension and contributed to a credible contest.

“We must specially appreciate our dear President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, for providing a level playing field for all the contestants.

This singular act of the President reduced tension and made the contest a credible one,” he said.

Oyebanji further commended INEC and the security agencies for their roles in conducting the election.

He, however, cautioned against interpreting Adeleke’s victory as a rejection of Tinubu by Osun voters, predicting that the state would massively support the President in the 2027 election.

“The outcome of the Osun Governorship election should not be misinterpreted as a true reflection of Osun people about President Bola Tinubu. Certainly not. The people of Osun will massively vote for President Tinubu come January 2027,” Oyebanji added.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x