Crime
Four Ex-Soldiers Arrested For Alleged Murder Of NDLEA Officer
Niger State Police have apprehended four former soldiers in connection with the alleged murder of an officer from the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).
The incident occurred on March 9 near Ramat Junction in the Bida Local Government Area.
Police Public Relations Officer, SP Waisu Abiodun disclosed this in a statement released on Saturday.
According to him, the arrests were made following an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the NDLEA officer’s death.
He said, “On March 9, at about 6:20 p.m, a team of NDLEA officers were on stop and search at Ramat Junction, Bida when two suspected soldiers not in uniform, on a motorcycle were intercepted.
”The team requested for their identifications, which the suspected soldiers did not provide a proper means of identification and nothing incriminating was found on them.
”In the course of the search, there was an altercation, after which the suspects left the scene, returned with additional men reinforced to the scene and allegedly attacked NDLEA officers.”
Abiodun stated that in the midst of the altercation, an NDLEA officer named Kingsley Chimetalo was stabbed in the back with a jackknife by one of the suspects, who then seized his rifle.
Chimetalo was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre in Bida, where he was later pronounced dead by a doctor.
Police operatives from ‘A’ Division Bida promptly launched an investigation, leading to the recovery of the deceased officer’s rifle in a nearby bush, albeit without a magazine.
The investigation, conducted in collaboration with the 18 Brigade, Nigeria Army Bida, identified six soldiers who had been court-martialed and dismissed, while two had escaped.
The suspects, named as Sani Munzani, Abubakar Auwalu from Kano state, Abubakar Sani from Kebbi, and Muazu Hassan from Edo, were handed over to the police for prosecution. Sani Munzani confessed to stabbing the deceased NDLEA officer.
The suspects are currently under investigation at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) in Minna and will face prosecution once the investigation is concluded.
Crime
Kogi Man Allegedly Sets Wife Ablaze After She Burnt His Clothes
A man identified as Jacob Irewa has been arrested by the Kogi State Police Command for allegedly setting his wife, Berida Irawo, ablaze following a domestic disagreement in Lokoja.
The incident occurred on Friday, August 14, 2026, at Oworo Estate, Felele, Lokoja.
ALSO READ: Kogi Polytechnic Suspends Seven Lecturers Amid Sex-for-Marks, Cultism Probe
According to the state police spokesperson, ASP Salisu Afusat, the B Division Surveillance Team, Felele, received a report of the incident at about 8:30pm and immediately mobilised to the scene, where the suspect was arrested.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the dispute started after the victim allegedly burnt some of her husband’s clothes which she believed he was no longer using, without his permission.
The police said the suspect subsequently threatened his wife, fetched petrol from his motorcycle and allegedly set her ablaze.
The victim survived the attack and is currently receiving treatment at Honey Gold Hospital, Felele.
Afusat said the suspect, during interrogation, admitted to setting his wife ablaze, adding that the command had commenced a comprehensive investigation into the incident.
The Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Command, CP Naziru Bello Kankarofi, condemned the alleged attack and reiterated the command’s zero tolerance for violence, particularly domestic violence.
He urged members of the public to resolve domestic disputes through lawful means and avoid actions capable of endangering lives.
The police said Irewa would be charged to court for prosecution after the conclusion of investigations.
Crime
Enugu Church Attack: Three Suspected Kidnappers Arrested, Four AK-47s Recovered
Three suspected members of a notorious kidnapping gang allegedly linked to the August 2 attack on St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Inoyi-Affa, in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State, have been arrested by security operatives.
The suspects were apprehended during a joint operation involving the Department of State Services, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Police Force, Enugu State Forest Guard and other security personnel.
SEE ALSO: Osun Election: Gunmen Invade PVC Centre, Cart Away Voter Cards
One suspected kidnapper was reportedly killed during a gun battle with the security forces, while four AK-47 rifles and ammunition were recovered from the gang.
The development was disclosed on Monday night when Enugu State Governor, Peter Mbah, visited the state DSS headquarters to inspect the arrested suspects.
Representing the governor, the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, said two of the three victims abducted during the August 2 attack had regained their freedom.
The victims, identified as Seminarian Lawrence Igbo and Emmanuel Onwudi, reportedly identified the arrested suspects as the individuals who abducted them.
“There was one fatality in this process. It was one of the criminals that died in the process of apprehending them,” Onyia said.
He added that the arrested suspects would face the full weight of the law.
The SSG said the state government would continue to strengthen its security architecture and collaborate with security agencies to prevent criminal activities across Enugu State.
He warned criminal elements that the state would not provide a safe haven for their activities.
Onyia also cautioned residents against assisting or providing information to criminal groups, stressing that anyone found collaborating with such groups would be investigated and prosecuted.
“We will find you also, just as we have found these people, and we will prosecute you as part of this evil operation and this evil syndicate,” he warned.
The SSG commended the DSS, Nigerian Army, Police, Enugu State Forest Guard and other security agencies for their efforts in apprehending the suspects and recovering the weapons.
He further assured residents that investigations were ongoing and that the government would continue to pursue those involved in criminal activities in the state.
Crime
Ilesa Shooting: Police Release Osun Commissioner on Bail
The Osun State Police Command has released the state Commissioner for Environment, Mr Mayowa Anjorin, on bail following his arrest over an alleged shooting incident during a political procession in Ilesa.
The command’s spokesperson, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, confirmed the commissioner’s release to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday.
SEE ALSO: Osun Election: Gunmen Invade PVC Centre, Cart Away Voter Cards
Ojelabi said Anjorin was released at about 1:00 p.m. after being granted bail.
“The commissioner has been released. He was released around 1.00 p.m on bail,” the police spokesperson said.
He, however, disclosed that an Amotekun operative arrested alongside the commissioner remains in police custody.
“The Amotekun operative arrested alongside the commissioner and the gun found with him (the Amotekun operative) are still with us,” Ojelabi added.
He stressed that investigations into the incident were still ongoing.
The commissioner’s arrest followed an alleged shooting during a political procession in Ilesa on Saturday.
According to the police, suspected armed men allegedly arrived in a government vehicle, alighted and fired into the vicinity of the ongoing political procession.
The suspects were reportedly dressed as personnel of the Osun State Security Network Agency, popularly known as the Amotekun Corps.
The incident reportedly left three people with gunshot injuries. The victims were taken to hospital for medical treatment.
Meanwhile, the police said investigations would continue to establish the circumstances surrounding the shooting and the roles of those arrested.





