NEWS
200 Lecturers Resign from Kaduna Varsity as ASUU Threatens Indefinite Strike
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Kaduna State University (KASU) chapter, has raised the alarm over the resignation of more than 200 lecturers from the institution amid concerns over poor conditions of service and the non-implementation of the 2025 Federal Government-ASUU Agreement.
Chairman of ASUU-KASU, Dr Abubakar Abdullahi, disclosed this at a press conference in Kaduna on Monday.
Abdullahi said the lecturers, including professors, had left the university for newer institutions within and outside Kaduna State.
SEE ALSO: FG Warns ASUU Against Strike, Insists On ‘No Work, No Pay’ Policy
He attributed the mass exodus to poor remuneration and declining welfare conditions, noting that the situation could have serious consequences for teaching, research and academic development at the institution.
According to him, the 2025 Federal Government-ASUU Agreement, which took effect in January 2026, provided improved conditions of service for academic staff in Nigerian universities.
However, he said implementation had yet to commence at KASU, despite several letters written by the union to the university management and governing council.
He added that the Visitor to the university, Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani, had also been notified of the situation.
Abdullahi expressed concern that more than eight months after the agreement was signed, KASU had yet to commence implementation, while many federal universities and some state-owned institutions had already started implementing the agreement.
He said some universities had also announced timelines for the payment of accrued arrears.
The ASUU chairman said the delay had made KASU academic staff among the least-paid university workers nationwide and warned that continued inaction would lead to the accumulation of salary arrears from January 2026.
He further warned that replacing experienced academics who had left the university would take years and require significant resources.
“Replacing highly skilled academics would take years and require significant resources,” he said.
The union has consequently issued a two-week ultimatum to the Kaduna State Government and university authorities to implement and domesticate the agreement.
Abdullahi warned that failure to meet the demands within the stipulated period could result in a total and indefinite strike at the university.
He disclosed that the ASUU-KASU congress met on August 12 to review the situation and resolved to declare an industrial dispute.
According to him, the decision was consistent with a resolution of ASUU’s National Executive Council following its meeting at the University of Abuja on August 8 and 9.
Beyond the implementation of the agreement, Abdullahi listed other unresolved issues affecting members of the union, including university autonomy, excessive workload, promotion arrears, death benefits, group life insurance coverage, wage awards and pension remittances.
He urged the relevant authorities to urgently address the issues, saying timely intervention would help preserve peace and stability within the university.
The ASUU-KASU chairman also appealed to parents and other stakeholders to support efforts to avert industrial action.
He reaffirmed the union’s commitment to pursuing its demands through lawful means and expressed hope that the government and university authorities would take concrete steps before the ultimatum expires.
International News
Ferrari’s First Electric Car Makes History With Record $40m Auction Sale
Ferrari’s first fully electric car, the Luce, has made automotive history after a bespoke version of the vehicle sold for a record $40 million at a charity auction in California.
The tailor-made Ferrari Luce “Chassis 0” was sold during Monterey Car Week on Saturday, becoming the most expensive new car ever sold at auction, according to collector car auction company RM Sotheby’s.
The winning bid was 36 times the car’s original estimate of $1.1 million.
SEE MORE: Police Arrest Man For Driving Fake Ferrari In Italy
Ferrari USA celebrated the landmark sale in an Instagram post, saying, “The bids kept climbing. Then, history was made,” while describing the transaction as a new record for the highest-priced new car ever sold at auction.
The sale comes months after Ferrari unveiled the Luce in May. The electric model features a distinctive bubble-like design that differs significantly from the Italian automaker’s traditional angular styling and has received mixed reactions from some Ferrari enthusiasts.
Ferrari previously described the Luce as “a different sort of Ferrari for a different sort of Ferrari client.”
The Luce is powered by four electric motors, with one motor driving each of its four wheels.
The exclusive “Chassis 0” features a pearl-like semi-gloss finish with a personalised pigment that produces changing reflections ranging from green to violet when struck by light.
Its interior is equally distinctive, featuring Perla Le Mans metallic leather and black design elements against a predominantly white background.
Ferrari said proceeds from the record-breaking auction will go to The Ferrari Foundation to support educational initiatives.
Following the auction, the vehicle will return to Maranello, northern Italy, where it was built, before being delivered to the unnamed winning bidder in the first quarter of 2027.
Meanwhile, deliveries of the regular Ferrari Luce, priced at about €550,000 ($640,000), are expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2026.
NEWS
ICPC Moves Against Corruption, Trains 100 Lake Chad Research Institute Staff
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has sensitised 100 staff members of the Lake Chad Research Institute (LCRI), Maiduguri, Borno State, on the need to uphold integrity, accountability and transparency in public service.
The Commission disclosed this via its X account on Monday, following a one-day anti-corruption education workshop organised at the institute’s conference hall.
SEE ALSO: BREAKING: Four Police Officers Arrested for Extorting ICPC Chairman in Abuja
The programme, themed “Promoting Integrity, Accountability, and Transparency in Public Service: The Role of Staff in Combating Corruption,” was aimed at equipping the institute’s workforce with knowledge of ethical standards and corruption prevention strategies.
Speaking during the programme, the Executive Director of the Lake Chad Research Institute, Professor Babagana Kabir, reaffirmed the institute’s commitment to transparency and collaboration with anti-corruption agencies.
Kabir urged staff to embrace professionalism and integrity, warning that corruption undermines institutional effectiveness, research development and public confidence in government institutions.
The Resident Anti-Corruption Commissioner, Mr Linus Gubbi, highlighted the strategic importance of the Lake Chad Research Institute to Nigeria’s socio-economic development, particularly its contributions to agricultural research, crop improvement and land-use strategies that affect food security across the Lake Chad Basin.
Gubbi warned that vital public research could not thrive in an environment affected by corrupt practices.
He noted that when public resources, research grants or administrative processes are compromised through favouritism, procurement irregularities or financial opacity, citizens who depend on the institute’s innovations ultimately suffer the consequences.
The RACC stressed that the fight against corruption is not the sole responsibility of anti-corruption agencies but a collective duty that begins with individual public officers.
A lead paper titled “Anti-Corruption and Work Ethics in Organisations” was presented by ACS Abba Dzikwi.
The presentation examined the legal framework for combating corruption, various forms of corrupt practices in public institutions and the consequences of unethical conduct.
It also emphasised the importance of strong work ethics to organisational efficiency, effective service delivery and national development.
Participants subsequently engaged the ICPC team during an interactive question-and-answer session, seeking clarification on reporting mechanisms, whistleblowing procedures and the Commission’s mandate.
The ICPC team reiterated the importance of confidentiality in handling corruption reports.
Gubbi also encouraged the institute to strengthen its internal controls and transparency mechanisms, assuring the management of the Commission’s readiness to provide guidance and support for institutional integrity initiatives.
In his concluding remarks, he urged participants to go beyond merely receiving the sensitisation and instead put the lessons into practice by challenging unethical practices and promoting a culture of service that reflects the highest standards of the Nigerian Public Service.
NEWS
Kano Records 867 Completed Projects Under Gov Yusuf
The Kano State Government has announced the completion of 867 projects across the state under the administration of Governor Abba Yusuf.
The Commissioner for Public Procurement, Projects Monitoring and Evaluation, Nura Maaji, disclosed this during a media briefing in Kano on Sunday.
SEE MORE: Kano Bans Mobile Movie Downloads, Distribution as Statewide Enforcement Begins
Maaji said the completed projects represent 55.68 per cent of the 1,557 projects undertaken by the administration since its inception, while about 42 per cent of the projects are still ongoing.
According to him, the projects have a cumulative contract value of N996.29 billion, with N695.20 billion approved through Notices of No Objection and N444.75 billion in payment certificates vetted by the ministry.
He said the projects cut across several sectors, including urban infrastructure, rural development, mass housing, roads, bridges, healthcare, education, traffic management and other public infrastructure.
The commissioner disclosed that the eight metropolitan Local Government Areas accounted for 598 projects valued at N299.36 billion, while the 36 rural LGAs accounted for 653 projects valued at N287.90 billion.
He added that cross-cutting projects covering more than one LGA were valued at N159.50 billion, while statewide and other interventions amounted to N249.54 billion.
Maaji listed some of the major projects as the approximately N113.19 billion mass housing scheme at Rijiyar Gwangwan in Dawakin Kudu, N24.77 billion Katsina Road expansion in Fagge and Dala LGAs, and the N21.90 billion Modern Cities infrastructure programme.
Others include the N27.74 billion Madobi-Yako-Kafin Maiyaki-Kiru Road intervention and the N22 billion Rural Model City Project covering the 36 rural LGAs.
However, Maaji said the Dawakin Kudu Mass Housing Project and the Rural Model City Housing Project were among high-value projects still awaiting relevant due process procedures.
On financial oversight, he said N444.75 billion in payment certificates had been vetted, representing 44.64 per cent of the cumulative contract value and about 63.97 per cent of the N695.20 billion approved through Notices of No Objection.
The commissioner said the ministry would continue to monitor project implementation, address bottlenecks and strengthen certification processes to ensure value for money.





