Connect with us

NEWS

Amnesty International Condemns Tinubu’s 6-Month Rule

Published

on

Six months into his term, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration has been criticized by Amnesty International (AI) for failure to uphold human rights and the rule of law, as per the organization’s assessment.

Mallam Isa Sanusi, Director of Amnesty International, Nigeria, made these remarks during the official unveiling of a report titled “Nigeria: Human Rights Agenda 2023,” in Abuja on Wednesday.

Sanusi emphasized that the agenda was directed towards the Tinubu administration due to a lack of policy actions addressing widespread human rights violations observed throughout the nation during this period.

He highlighted the imperative for Nigerian authorities to prioritize human rights within their policies, urging the implementation of previous investigation panel findings on human rights violations.

Sanusi also stressed the importance of promptly and transparently investigating past government’s human rights violations to uphold justice and ensure accountability.

Sanusi further said, “President Bola Tinubu and his administration must publicly commit to ending decades of human rights violations by ensuring that suspected perpetrators of past violations are brought to justice and implementing safeguards that drastically improve respect for human rights.

“His government must unveil a blueprint for addressing the gross human rights violations that have been committed across the country.”

He pointed out that the current administration had an opportunity to guarantee full access to human rights for all individuals and to hold accountable those responsible for violating these rights.

He revealed that copies of the agenda had been forwarded to President Tinubu and other high-ranking government officials.

This was to assist them in redefining their approach to addressing rights violations and to afford them an opportunity to respond before the official release of the report.

He said, “We implore the government to make human rights protection its priority by ensuring that every Nigerian’s rights are protected and that perpetrators of rights breaches do not go unpunished. We appeal to the government to study the document and come up with a plan on how to implement it.”

The Board Chairman of Amnesty International, Nigeria, Mal Auwal Musa Rafsanjani, clarified that the organization’s stance was not against the government as a whole but against the widespread and severe rights violations present within the country.

He said, “The government must prevent rights violations, and if they occur, it must investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.”

The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun, represented by Commissioner of Police (CP) Kunle Olasunkanmi, asserted that the police were the primary guardians of human rights in the country.

Additionally, he emphasized that the police leadership did not condone police brutality or human rights violations committed by officers and personnel within the force.

 

NEWS

Outrage as Police Officer Who Threatened Nigerians Over Recording Breaks Silence

Published

on

A Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has sparked widespread reactions online after publicly apologising for threatening Nigerians who film police officers while on duty.

The officer came under heavy criticism after a viral video showed him warning that he would “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.

Following the backlash, Isokpehi released a video on Thursday pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu for forgiveness, saying his earlier comments were made out of anger and frustration.

SEE ALSO: Six Arrested as Police Expose Inside Network Behind Oyo School Abduction

“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening,” he said.

Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer clarified that he was not against citizens filming police officers, noting that Nigerians have the right to record security personnel while carrying out their duties.

“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he stated.

Isokpehi, who disclosed that he hails from Edo State and was raised in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who has spent over 12 years serving in the Mobile Police unit.

The officer also displayed several scars and gunshot wounds on his body, claiming they were sustained during dangerous operations while serving the country.

“Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation. We have suffered in this work,” he said emotionally.

Attempting to walk back his earlier remarks, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to harm civilians.

“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.

He further appealed directly to Gwamnishu and Nigerians, admitting that the controversy had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far,” he pleaded.

The apology has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians condemning the officer’s initial comments while others expressed sympathy over the harsh conditions faced by security personnel.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Cubana Chief Priest Explains Why He Dumped Peter Obi for Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Published

on

Nigerian socialite and businessman, Cubana Chief Priest, has explained why he shifted his political support from former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following the 2023 general elections.

Speaking during a livestream session with popular streamer Peller, the celebrity businessman said his decision was motivated by a desire to avoid repeated political disappointment.

SEE ALSO: Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

He stated that he no longer wanted to back a candidate who might lose, saying he made the switch after the last election experience.
“Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest also claimed that President Tinubu remains cautious about him due to his past political alignment with Peter Obi and his ethnic background.

According to him, the President does not fully trust him because of his previous support for the opposition during the 2023 polls.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” he added.

He further dismissed the chances of Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing him as “not serious” and insisting that only “serious people” would emerge victorious.

The comments have since generated widespread reactions on social media, with critics accusing him of political opportunism, while others argue that his position reflects the realities of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political system.

Cubana Chief Priest was a vocal supporter of Peter Obi and the Labour Party during the 2023 elections but later aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

He currently serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement and has become more active within APC circles.

He had also obtained an APC House of Representatives nomination form but later withdrew from the primary election on the day of the exercise.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Yobe Hospital Makes Medical History With First-Ever Lower Jaw Surgery

Published

on

The Yobe State Specialist Hospital has recorded a major medical breakthrough after successfully performing its first-ever lower jaw surgery, a development described as the first of its kind in North-Eastern Nigeria.

The complex procedure, known as a segmental mandibulectomy with reconstruction, was carried out on a 40-year-old female patient suffering from mandibular ameloblastoma, a tumour affecting the jawbone.

Speaking on the achievement, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Usman Abba Giedam, said the surgery marked a significant milestone in the state’s healthcare sector.

SEE MORE: Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency

According to him, the operation involved the removal of a diseased section of the patient’s lower jaw and a sophisticated reconstruction using reconstruction plates and an iliac crest bone graft.

The surgery was led by Dr. Muhammad Ayuba Fusami with support from Dr. Peter Umejiego.

Giedam revealed that the patient is currently recovering well and responding positively to treatment following the successful operation.

He noted that the achievement reflects the growing capacity of the hospital to handle highly specialized medical procedures that previously required referrals outside the state.

The CMD also credited the administration of Mai Mala Buni for investing in healthcare infrastructure, medical equipment, and skilled manpower development across the state.

He added that the hospital remains committed to advancing specialized healthcare services and improving access to quality medical care for residents of Yobe State and the North-East region.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x