Connect with us

Politics

APC, Tinubu Reportedly Reverse Support For Akpabio In 10th NASS Leadership

Published

on

 

Yesterday, there were strong indications that the prospects of former Senate Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio, in the race for Senate President in the 10th National Assembly may have suffered a setback.

 

It was reported that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has allegedly withdrawn his support for Akpabio, signaling a potential roadblock in his candidacy.

 

It is worth noting that the All Progressives Congress (APC) had previously announced the endorsement of Senator Godswill Akpabio and three other candidates for key positions in the National Assembly.

 

Senator Godswill Akpabio, hailing from the South-South region, received an endorsement for the position of Senate President, Senator Jubrin Barau, representing the North-West region, was endorsed for the position of Deputy Senate President, Tajudeen Abass, also from the North-West, was endorsed for the role of Speaker in the House of Representatives, while Kanu, representing the South-East region, was endorsed for the position of Deputy Speaker.

 

The endorsements made by the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the key positions in the National Assembly have faced criticism and opposition from certain party members, particularly those who have aspirations for the presiding offices in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

 

As a result of the protests and condemnations that followed the party’s endorsements, senators primarily from the South West region have scheduled a meeting for tomorrow.

 

During this meeting, they intend to discuss and potentially reconsider their stance on the selection of Senate leadership, indicating a potential shift in their position.

 

As per a senator from the South West region, the scheduled meeting is primarily intended for senators from that zone to be informed about the outcomes of a crucial meeting among the leading group of senators-elect, which is set to take place on Thursday.

 

It has been strategically arranged for some members to attend this meeting.

 

Allegedly, President Bola Tinubu has taken heed of the advice from his trusted political allies and has tacitly withdrawn his support for Senator Godswill Akpabio, the former governor of Akwa Ibom State.

 

Sources suggest that the President is determined to govern with a focus on eradicating corruption, and he intends to strengthen existing policies and institutions dedicated to anti-corruption efforts in order to achieve this objective.

 

In his inaugural speech, Tinubu declared pointedly that his government would take” proactive steps such as championing a credit culture to discourage corruption, while strengthening the effectiveness and efficiency of the various anti-corruption agencies.”

 

With this statement, the source said ”most of us have come to the full realization of the fact that President Bola Tinubu would not for anything support any senator with myriads of cases of corruption in the anti-graft agencies after declaring before the world that he would strengthen and make them more effective.”

 

A senator from one of the state in the S-West confided in Vanguard: “We have seen the follies in remaining in this camp, it will not work. We have fixed a meeting for Thursday where we are going to chart our next line of action.”

 

However, the Director General for the Akpabio/Barau Stability Group, Senator Ali Ndume, APC, Borno South, said in his reaction to the development yesterday: “It is not surprising that whenever a politically exposed person is contesting elections, some people would be sponsored to raise issues against him or her.

 

“Don’t forget that President Bola Tinubu was also severally accused when he was campaigning to be president.”

 

“We are not actually bothered about what the sponsored groups are saying about Akpabio, the anti-graft agencies know what to do. Why are they teaching them what to do?

 

“They are alleging that some corrupt activities took place under his watch at the NDDC but they did not say he misappropriated funds as governor or as minister.

 

“Akpabio was not the accounting officer of the NDDC, he only supervised the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs.

 

“They also accused him of not constituting the board of the NDDC but that also was not his job. The president of the country is saddled with such responsibility.”

5 Comments
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
5 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
custom suit Bangkok
7 months ago

651768 774979Hey. Quite good internet site!! Man .. Outstanding .. Fantastic .. Ill bookmark this web site and take the feeds alsoI am happy to locate so significantly beneficial information here within the article. Thanks for sharing 736379

Sweet Bonanza
7 months ago

43212 279092Cpr KIts extremely excellent read you know alot about this topic i see! 258896

จำนำรถ
6 months ago

117181 767806I saw lots of web site but I believe this one has got something special in it in it 533893

EA Forex
5 months ago

671191 501653I genuinely delighted to uncover this internet web site on bing, just what I was looking for : D too saved to fav. 588205

alyarmook
5 months ago

333783 388374Pretty! This was a genuinely amazing post. Thank you for your provided info. cool desktop 745940

Politics

Fresh Crisis Hits APC as Senators, Aspirants Reject Primary Results Across 9 States

Published

on

Fresh crisis has erupted within the All Progressives Congress following widespread rejection of the party’s senatorial and National Assembly primary election results by aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders across nine states.

The controversy, which trailed the APC primaries conducted ahead of the 2027 general elections, has sparked protests, petitions and allegations of manipulation, imposition of candidates and violation of internal democratic processes in Ekiti, Ondo, Zamfara, Nasarawa, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Delta and Benue states.

In Ekiti State, former senator Ayo Arise and fellow aspirant Dare Owolabi rejected the outcome of the APC senatorial primary in Ekiti North Senatorial District, where the incumbent senator, Cyril Fasuyi, was declared winner.

SEE MORE: Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

While the APC election committee announced that Fasuyi polled 14,179 votes to defeat his rivals, Arise insisted he won the election based on ward results in his possession.

He alleged that the process was disrupted in several wards after it became obvious he was leading.

Arise described the exercise as being riddled with irregularities, intimidation and fraud, vowing to challenge the outcome before the national leadership of the party.

Owolabi also faulted the exercise, alleging that supporters were harassed and chased away from voting venues across several wards.

However, Fasuyi dismissed the allegations and maintained that the primary election was conducted in line with APC guidelines.

In Ondo State, former deputy governor and senatorial aspirant, Agboola Ajayi, also rejected the outcome of the Ondo South senatorial primary, describing the announced results as fake.

Ajayi’s campaign organisation claimed the figures declared by the senatorial collation officer did not reflect the actual results collated by its agents across the wards.

In Zamfara State, several aspirants criticised the adoption of consensus arrangements by party leaders instead of direct primaries.

Former governor and Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, had announced that consensus candidates had emerged across the state following agreements among aspirants.

But aspirants including Tijjani Kaura, Dr Sani Shinkafi and Hajiya Lubuna Gusau denied participating in any consensus arrangement and accused party leaders of attempting to impose candidates.

Shinkafi further accused party leaders of misleading President Bola Tinubu by claiming he directed aspirants to step down for incumbent lawmakers.

In Nasarawa State, APC members under the platform of Concerned APC Members staged a peaceful protest over alleged irregularities during the National Assembly primaries.

The group accused the election committee of poor coordination, late arrival of election materials and favouritism towards certain candidates.

Similarly, APC stakeholders in Kwara State petitioned the national leadership of the party over the conduct of the House of Representatives primary election in the Ekiti/Oke-Ero/Isin/Irepodun Federal Constituency.

The stakeholders alleged that no voting exercise took place in some areas and accused local party leaders of releasing unauthorised election results.

In Plateau State, Plateau North Senatorial District aspirant and serving senator, Pam Dachungyang, rejected the APC senate primary, describing the process as a sham that failed to meet democratic standards.

According to him, party officials failed to appear in several areas where voting was expected to take place.

The crisis also spread to Kaduna State, where aggrieved aspirants staged protests across Kaduna metropolis over the outcome of the senatorial primaries.

The protesters alleged that the APC abandoned the approved direct primary system and instead adopted an unauthorised delegate arrangement.

The protest followed the emergence of Sunday Katung, former governor Ramalan Yero and Shehu Sani as winners of the APC senatorial tickets.

In Delta State, the Chairman of the APC National Assembly Primaries Appeal Committee, Chukwuemeka Ujam, confirmed that the panel had received five petitions from aggrieved party members challenging the conduct of the primaries.

Meanwhile, in Benue State, two aspirants challenged the victory of Blessing Onuh in the APC House of Representatives primary for Otukpo/Ohinmini Federal Constituency.

The aspirants alleged that election materials were hijacked and claimed the votes allocated to Onuh exceeded the number of registered party members in the constituency.

The growing wave of protests and petitions has further exposed deepening cracks within the APC as the ruling party prepares for the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

Published

on

A governorship aspirant in Plateau State, Commander Yilchin Jan Bida (rtd), has declared that he is fully committed to contesting the 2027 governorship race, insisting that he is “not in the race to fill numbers” but to win.

Yilchin Jan Bida made the statement while addressing journalists in Plateau State on Tuesday, where he reaffirmed his confidence in defeating incumbent Governor Caleb Mutfwang in a free and fair party primary.

SEE ALSO: Violence Rocks APC Primaries in Plateau, Officials Flee for Safety

Caleb Mutfwang is expected to seek re-election in the 2027 polls, setting the stage for what could become a heated internal party contest.

Bida said his ambition is backed by a structured development plan known as the “LIGHT Agenda,” which he described as a comprehensive blueprint aimed at transforming governance across security, infrastructure, education, and economic development.

Security and Infrastructure Focus

The aspirant said insecurity remains a major concern in Plateau State, arguing that poor rural road networks and limited telecommunications coverage have worsened response time during emergencies.

He pledged that, if elected, his administration would ensure full mobile network coverage across the state and expand rural road construction to improve access to remote communities.

Bold Development Promise
Bida also outlined an ambitious infrastructure plan, stating that his government would invest heavily in roads, bridges, and community development projects across all 17 local government areas of the state.

He estimated a projected spending of about N1 trillion over four years, with each local government expected to benefit from at least 40 kilometres of road construction.

Education and Human Capital

On education, Bida expressed concern over what he described as inadequate investment in human capital development, warning that it could affect the future competitiveness of Plateau youths.

He said his administration would prioritise education, healthcare, and youth empowerment while also supporting small businesses and local enterprise growth.

Political Outlook

Bida maintained that his participation in the race is driven by vision and preparation, not symbolism, adding that he is confident of victory in the party primary if conducted fairly.

The 2027 Plateau governorship race is gradually shaping into a competitive political contest as aspirants intensify consultations and policy declarations.

Continue Reading

Politics

Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

Published

on

There was a surprise development in the political landscape of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ogun State on Tuesday as a House of Assembly aspirant, Ademola Okeowo, withdrew from the race and declared support for the party’s consensus candidate.

Okeowo, who was vying to represent Ijebu North State Constituency I, announced his decision at the APC secretariat in Ijebu North, Ijebu Igbo, before party leaders, stakeholders, and supporters.

SEE MOREBenue APC Primary Turns Messy as Onoja’s Son Battles David Mark’s Daughter Over Victory

He said the move followed extensive consultations with party elders and leaders, stressing that it was taken in the interest of unity and discipline within the party.

According to him, although he had enjoyed strong grassroots support and encouragement from different communities, he decided to step down in line with the party’s consensus arrangement.

“I have decided to step down unconditionally in support of the party’s consensus candidate,” Okeowo stated, adding that his political structure would now be merged with that of the chosen candidate.

He called on his supporters, youth groups, women associations, and coordinators to fully mobilise for the success of the APC in the forthcoming elections.

The APC Vice Chairman in Ijebu North, Alhaji Adesegun Adenola, commended the decision, describing it as a move that strengthens internal unity within the party.

Adenola disclosed that out of about 14 initial aspirants, the number was reduced to four after internal screening, with two aspirants, including Okeowo, stepping down in support of the consensus candidate, Olatunbosun Ipaye.

He added that remaining contenders were also expected to align with the party’s decision ahead of the primaries.

The development highlights ongoing efforts by the APC to consolidate internal harmony and avoid division ahead of the next electoral cycle in Ogun State.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

5
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x