Connect with us

International News

Bolivia Re-Arrests Former Interior Minister Murillo After Prison Term In US

Published

on

Arturo Murillo, Bolivia’s former Interior Minister, was taken into custody on Thursday immediately after landing in Santa Cruz, following his deportation from the United States where he had served time for money laundering.

Murillo, 61, had been sentenced in January 2023 to nearly six years in a US prison after admitting to laundering bribes connected to a $5.7 million tear gas procurement contract.

Prosecutors said the supplier inflated the price by almost $2.3 million. Though he was granted early release, a US immigration judge ruled last month that he be deported.

READ ALSO: Trump Imposes 10% Tariff On BRICS, Partner Countries

Murillo held office under the interim leadership of Jeanine Áñez, who assumed power in 2019 after Evo Morales, Bolivia’s first Indigenous president, stepped down amid protests and electoral disputes.

Upon his return, Bolivian authorities wasted no time. Dozens of police officers intercepted and handcuffed him at the Santa Cruz airport.

Government minister Roberto Ríos had announced the night before that officers were under instruction to enforce two outstanding arrest warrants. “The law will take its course,” Ríos declared.

Legal cases against Murillo have mounted over the years. In October 2024, he was handed an eight-year prison sentence in absentia for his role in the overpriced tear gas purchase, the same scandal that led to his US conviction.

In February 2025, he received an additional sentence of more than five years in connection with riot gear imports from Ecuador.

The contracts in question date back to 2019, when Bolivia was experiencing widespread unrest and security forces were urgently acquiring crowd-control equipment.

Murillo’s troubles didn’t end with jail time. In April 2024, a US court ordered him to pay Bolivia $6.2 million in compensation tied to the corruption scheme.

His arrest is the latest development in a series of prosecutions against former Áñez officials, underscoring Bolivia’s effort to hold members of the post-Morales government accountable.

International News

Fresh Violence Rocks Mali as France Orders Citizens to Evacuate

Published

on

The government of France has issued an urgent directive to its citizens in Mali, advising them to leave the country immediately following a fresh wave of violent attacks.

In a travel advisory released on Wednesday, the French foreign ministry described the security situation in Mali as “extremely volatile,” citing recent assaults carried out by jihadist groups and Tuareg separatist fighters over the weekend.

ALSO READ: Mali’s Junta Leader Assimi Goita Grants Himself Unlimited Presidential Mandate

According to the statement, all travel to Mali remains strongly discouraged regardless of purpose, as authorities warned that the risk to foreign nationals has significantly increased.

“French nationals are advised to make arrangements to leave Mali temporarily as soon as possible on the commercial flights that are still available,” the ministry said.

The advisory comes amid renewed concerns over instability in the Sahel region, where armed groups have continued to intensify their operations despite years of military interventions.

President Emmanuel Macron has repeatedly expressed concern over the deteriorating security climate in Mali, particularly following the withdrawal of foreign forces and the growing influence of insurgent factions.

Mali has been grappling with insecurity since 2012, as jihadist insurgency, separatist tensions, and political unrest continue to undermine stability in the country.

Continue Reading

International News

Why UK Is Moving to Restrict Children’s Access to Social Media

Published

on

The United Kingdom is considering sweeping new restrictions that could limit or completely block children under the age of 16 from accessing social media platforms, as part of a broader push to improve online safety and reduce excessive screen time among young users.

The proposal, currently under government consultation, is being led by Prime Minister Keir Starmer and focuses on addressing concerns over how teenagers interact with platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.

ALSO READ: UK Says ‘No Entry’ to Kanye West Ahead of Big Comeback Show

Officials say the move is driven by growing evidence and public concern that algorithm-driven feeds and “endless scrolling” features may be negatively affecting children’s sleep patterns, concentration levels, and overall well-being.

The government is also reviewing whether additional measures such as app curfews and time limits should be introduced.

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said the consultation has already attracted widespread public input, with tens of thousands of responses from parents, teenagers, and advocacy groups.

She noted that the government is particularly interested in feedback on addictive platform design features and the use of AI tools targeting younger users.

The UK is also studying policies already implemented in other countries. Australia has introduced stricter age-based restrictions, while Greece and Indonesia have also moved toward tighter regulation of children’s access to social media.

Authorities emphasize that no final decision has been made, but the consultation process is expected to shape future legislation on how tech companies operate and how young users are protected online in the digital age.

Continue Reading

International News

You Won’t Believe What Trump Said About Pope Leo

Published

on

U.S. President Donald Trump has sparked global reactions following his remarks about Pope Leo XIV after the Pope’s recent anti-war message calling for peace in conflict-hit regions.

The controversy began after Pope Leo XIV delivered a strong appeal at the Vatican, urging world leaders to end ongoing wars and prioritise dialogue over violenceviolence.

ALSO READ: Melania Trump to Preside Over UN Council as Middle East Burns

The pontiff warned against the “idolatry of power” and called for global cooperation to restore peace.

Reacting to the message, Trump told reporters he is “not a big fan” of Pope Leo XIV, describing him as “very liberal” and questioning his views on crime and international security.

The U.S. President further criticised the Pope’s stance on global conflicts, suggesting his message overlooks serious security challenges linked to rising geopolitical tensions, including nuclear concerns.

In a follow-up post on Truth Social, Trump intensified his criticism, accusing the Pope of taking a weak position on foreign policy matters and suggesting political factors influenced his leadership position.

The comments have since triggered widespread debate across political and religious circles, adding to ongoing tensions between Washington and the Vatican over issues such as immigration policy, military action, and global diplomacy.

While both sides have previously denied any formal rift, the latest exchange has renewed global attention on their differing positions regarding war and peace efforts.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x