NEWS
Club shooting: Burna Boy’s family is offering us ‘Hush money’, victim’s wife cried out
Briella Neme, the wife of the man shot alongside his friends by singer Burna Boy’s escort at Cubana club Victoria Island, Lagos State, has accused him of attempting to bribe her family with ‘hush money.’
She revealed the information on her Instagram page on Monday, in response to a claim made by a putative eyewitness, who said she went to take a photo with Burna Boy in his VVIP’s top corner when her husband physically dragged her.
She went on to say that the singer and rapper planned to kill them on that fateful night and that the club refused to share the incident’s CCTV footage.
The eyewitness on his Twitter, handle @AfricansOracle, had said, “Briella was the one who went up to Burna Boy to take photos and that Burna Boy’s security men only resisted the confrontational approach.”
In response to the post, Neme posted a video of the scene, claiming that the eyewitness story was fake.
Burna Boy’s family had visited her since the event to address the situation, she added.
In the narration via her Instagram page, @nemebriella, she wrote, “We were visiting Nigeria from America and London for our childhood friend’s wedding.
“On June 18, 2022, @burnaboygram and his friends opened fire at us in @cubanalagos.
“My partner and his friend were shot, with both needing urgent medical care. A bullet grazed my partner’s head and our friend was shot in the thigh, leaving him hospitalised and needing emergency surgery in Nigeria.
“At this point, I couldn’t find my partner or my best friend. I was screaming for help after being lifted and thrown so hard on the floor by one of Burna Boy’s friends and I hurt my left shoulder..
“All our private police officers were not allowed into the club, so, it was left to us to fight for our lives
“One of our friends @theflowolf was trying to get Burna Boy to calm the situation but he only laughed at him and proceeded to get in his car whilst being protected by his security.
“The shootings happened twice at different times. His friends were also shooting at people trying to evacuate the club through the main entrance.
“They were out to kill and didn’t care who got hit. My partner’s head was bleeding profusely and his friend lost so much blood that he needed a donor as soon as he got to the hospital.
“@burnaboygram left @cubanalagos without a scratch and flew out to Spain the next morning.
“Everyone keeps making this about money. Money is not our problem. If you did nothing wrong @burnaboygram, why were your people contacting us to offer us hush money? Why did your parents visit our parents yesterday?”
She further accused club Cubana for not releasing the CCTV footage of the shooting.
“@obi_cubana only reached out to us four days after the event claiming he had no idea and would do everything to get us justice for attempted murder.
“11 days later, there has been no CCTV footage released by the club or even a statement to address the incident publicly. The business has carried on as usual for him
“To sum things up, I’m traumatised. I’ve broken down every day since then. The random flashbacks and nightmares, especially after seeing @burnaboygram’s response.
“The lack of remorse or accountability is beyond me. At least, two people could’ve died that night.”
Meanwhile, Obinna Iyiegbu, also known as Obi Cubana, the Chairman of the Cubana Group, said on his Instagram page yesterday, in response to the development Said: “As regards the issues making rounds the social media, we at Cubana Group have given all information at our disposal to the legal authorities.
“However, we wholeheartedly sympathise with any/all those who may have been impacted by this.
“I and our group would never compromise standards, as we have confidence in the authorities to handle all. Best regards.”
NEWS
N12tn Subsidy Discrepancy: APM Calls for EFCC Probe of Oyedele, Edun
The Allied Peoples’ Movement, APM, has petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to investigate an alleged N12 trillion discrepancy in savings from the removal of petrol subsidy.
The party also called on the anti-graft agency to question the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, his predecessor, Wale Edun, and relevant officials of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources over the figures.
The demand was contained in a statement by APM National Publicity Secretary, Abubakar Yusuf, who said the alleged discrepancy must be fully accounted for.
SEE MORE: EFCC Brokers Structured Repayment Plan over Nestoil
According to the party, Oyedele had put the savings from petrol subsidy removal at N15.8 trillion, while earlier government figures under Edun indicated that about $20 billion, equivalent to N27 trillion, had been saved as of November 2024.
Yusuf said, “The APM therefore petitions the EFCC to investigate the N12 trillion discrepancy by inviting the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, his predecessors in office, Wale Edun as well as officials of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources for questioning.”
APM also urged the National Assembly to conduct an open inquest into the alleged discrepancy, insisting that Nigerians deserve a clear account of the subsidy savings.
The party argued that the alleged N12 trillion difference could have been used to finance major infrastructure projects and improve the economy.
It said the amount would be enough to build a refinery with a capacity of between 250,000 and 300,000 barrels per day, potentially creating jobs, attracting ancillary investments and helping to reduce petroleum prices.
APM further claimed that the funds could finance about 1,000 kilometres of standard railway linking Lagos, Abuja and other parts of the country.
According to the party, such an investment would ease transportation, boost commerce and reduce pressure on the nation’s roads.
“It is therefore disheartening that due to sheer greed, avarice and incurable corruption of the APC, Nigerians have been denied these life-enhancing benefits,” the party said.
APM alleged that the discrepancy had heightened concerns over the possible diversion of subsidy savings by corrupt officials and associates of the Tinubu administration.
The party vowed to continue demanding accountability until every kobo from the subsidy savings is accounted for.
International News
US Military Newspaper Chiefs Sacked Over Editorial Freedom Row
The United States Department of Defense has fired the editor-in-chief, publisher and a reporter of a long-running military newspaper amid a growing dispute over editorial independence.
The newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Erik Slavin, told CBS News that he was dismissed for “insubordination” after speaking to the network about disagreements with the Department of Defense.
SEE ALSO: Iran’s Threat Pushes Brent Over $90
The department had earlier this year said it wanted to steer the publication’s coverage away from what it described as “woke distractions.”
The newspaper’s publisher, Max Lederer, who had served in the position since 2007, was also notified that he was being terminated. His dismissal came just three days after he announced plans to retire from the publication.
Reporter Lara Korte also confirmed that she had been fired for alleged insubordination.
“Today, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes — not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker,” Korte wrote on X.
The dismissals came only days after the newspaper published a report detailing grim conditions faced by crewmembers aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.
The report triggered fresh criticism of President Donald Trump’s handling of the war with Iran. The aircraft carrier had been deployed before the conflict in the Middle East began in February.
Last weekend, the US military announced that a new carrier strike group had arrived in the region, while Trump said the Lincoln would be replaced.
Slavin had also drawn attention last month after publicly opposing what he described as attempts by the Department of Defense to interfere with the newspaper’s editorial decisions.
During an interview on “CBS Sunday Morning,” Slavin was asked whether there were any editorial red lines he would not cross.
“‘Don’t run a perfectly accurate story, run this instead. Here it is, written by the Pentagon.’ That would be a red line,” he said.
Lederer had announced his retirement on Tuesday, with his departure initially scheduled for September 30.
He said his decision followed fundamental differences between his leadership philosophy and the plans the Department of Defense had for the organisation.
Meanwhile, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has faced criticism from sections of the media over his approach to journalism since taking charge of the department in 2025.
The independence of US military media outlets has increasingly come under scrutiny.
Shortly before Lederer announced his retirement, active-duty US Navy Captain William Urban was installed as military deputy to the publisher, a move interpreted by some, including Democratic lawmakers, as weakening the publication’s editorial independence.
NEWS
Tinubu’s Men Bomb Atiku on Fuel Subsidy
Nigeria’s former Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s promise of restoring petrol subsidy if elected president in 2027 has drawn attacks from the corner of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The Presidency reacted sharply to Atiku’s pledge, describing it as a deceptive political jab, capable of undermining Nigeria’s economic recovery.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Communication, Sunday Dare, stated this in a statement on Thursday, following Atiku’s declaration that he would reverse the subsidy removal if elected.
Dare accused Atiku of attempting to manipulate Nigerians for political gain, saying the former Vice President’s position could halt what he described as ongoing recovery across various sectors of the economy.
“Atiku Abubakar: Your pronouncement that you will bring back fuel subsidy is drenched in hypocrisy and deceit. It is an unpardonable manipulation of the public psyche, designed to hoodwink unsuspecting Nigerians into voting for you,” Dare said.
READ ALSO: NUPRC Says Nigeria has Extracted 4.6bn Barrels from Deep Offshore
He added, “The ongoing recovery across various sectors of our national life annoys you, and will be halted if this thinking of yours is implemented. By the Grace of God, it will not happen, and all good men of conscience must rise up against you.”
Atiku had made the pledge during a Facebook Live session while responding to questions on the removal of the petrol subsidy and how the savings from the policy had been utilised.
The former Vice President said he initially did not oppose the subsidy removal but questioned how the savings had been spent.
“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” Atiku asked.
He added, “If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money.”





