Politics
Edo REC Rejects BVAS Allegations, Calls On PDP For Inspection
The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Edo State, Anubgum Onuoha, has dismissed accusations that he denied the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) access to the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) before the recent governorship election.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Onuoha described the allegations as “baseless, misleading, and devoid of truth.”
He firmly stated that no political party or its representatives were denied the opportunity to inspect the BVAS machines ahead of legal proceedings related to the election.
Read Also: ITF Announces Osun As Southwest Zonal Headquarters
“It is the responsibility of INEC to provide access to such materials whenever requested by political parties,” Onuoha emphasized.
The PDP had earlier accused INEC of defying a court order by refusing to allow its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, and party officials to inspect the BVAS machines and other electoral materials used in the September 21, 2024 Edo State gubernatorial election.
According to PDP National Publicity Secretary Debo Ologunagba, INEC’s alleged refusal was part of a larger scheme to frustrate the party’s efforts to challenge the election results.
The party claimed that INEC officials, under the guise of waiting for “directives from above,” allowed thugs and rogue police operatives to disrupt the process at the INEC office in Edo State.
This alleged interference, the PDP argued, prevented the party from accessing key electoral documents necessary for its petition at the Governorship Election Petition Tribunal in Benin City.
Citing an order from the tribunal dated September 29, 2024, the PDP argued that INEC had been mandated to grant “unfettered access” to critical documents, including voter registers, ballot papers, BVAS machines, and various election forms used during the September 21 election.
In response to these claims, Onuoha clarified that political parties seeking to challenge the election results are free to do so through legal channels.
He added that arrangements had been made for all political parties, including the PDP, to inspect the BVAS machines on Wednesday, thus ensuring transparency in the post-election process.
Politics
2027: Kebbi Gov Drops Deputy, Picks New Running Mate
Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, has replaced his deputy, Senator Umar Tafida, with former Commissioner for Finance, Alhaji Ibrahim Augie, as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.
The development was announced on Sunday in Birnin Kebbi by the All Progressives Congress National Organising Secretary, Alhaji Suleiman Argungu.
According to a statement by the Kebbi State Government, Argungu said the decision followed professional legal advice concerning the eligibility of the incumbent deputy governor.
SEE ALSO: 2027 Presidency: ADP Candidate Raises Alarm Over Plot to Replace Him
“The present Deputy Governor was dropped as the running mate to Governor Nasir Idris Kauran Gwandu for the 2027 general election based on professional legal advice,” Argungu said.
He explained that the decision was taken with Tafida’s understanding and consent, stressing that there was no disagreement between the governor and his deputy.
Argungu subsequently announced Augie as the new running mate to Governor Idris for the 2027 governorship election.
He called on APC members, politicians and supporters across Kebbi State to accept the development and unite behind the party ahead of the 2027 election.
Governor Idris also dismissed suggestions of a rift between him and Tafida, urging continued unity, support and cooperation as his administration pursues further development across the state.
Augie, who hails from Augie Local Government Area of Kebbi State, served as Commissioner for Finance during the administration of former Governor Atiku Bagudu.
Politics
Osun 2026: Oyebanji Applauds Adeleke, Says Voters Have Spoken
Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, saying the outcome of the August 15 governorship election reflects the choice of the people.
The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Adeleke the winner of the keenly contested election on Sunday.
Oyebanji, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode, described Adeleke’s victory as an expression of the preference of the majority of Osun voters.
SEE MORE: ‘Retract Your Claims or Face ₦10bn Suit’ — Adeleke’s Campaign Spokesman Warns Fadahunsi
“This is democracy, and the majority of Osun voters have expressed their preference for the re-election of Governor Adeleke,” Oyebanji said.
He congratulated Adeleke on his electoral victory and urged him to be magnanimous in victory by carrying other contestants along in the task of building a more prosperous Osun State.
Oyebanji also commended the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, describing him as “a worthy challenger” and applauding Osun APC members for putting up a strong fight during the election.
He urged the opposition party to return to the drawing board and strategise for future elections.
The Ekiti governor also praised President Bola Tinubu for what he described as providing a level playing field for all candidates, arguing that the move helped reduce tension and contributed to a credible contest.
“We must specially appreciate our dear President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, for providing a level playing field for all the contestants.
This singular act of the President reduced tension and made the contest a credible one,” he said.
Oyebanji further commended INEC and the security agencies for their roles in conducting the election.
He, however, cautioned against interpreting Adeleke’s victory as a rejection of Tinubu by Osun voters, predicting that the state would massively support the President in the 2027 election.
“The outcome of the Osun Governorship election should not be misinterpreted as a true reflection of Osun people about President Bola Tinubu. Certainly not. The people of Osun will massively vote for President Tinubu come January 2027,” Oyebanji added.
Politics
2027 Presidency: ADP Candidate Raises Alarm Over Plot to Replace Him
The presidential candidate of the Action Democratic Party, ADP, Ambassador Aliyu Bin Abbas, has raised the alarm over alleged moves to replace him as the party’s candidate ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Abbas, in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Okpani Jacob Onjewu Dickson, and made available to journalists in Kaduna on Friday, said any attempt to substitute his name without his consent and outside established legal and party procedures would undermine democratic principles.
SEE ALSO: Fresh ADC Twist: Faction Rejects Atiku Camp, Picks Chris Uba for 2027 Presidency
He said he had received information about alleged political pressure concerning the party’s presidential candidacy, although he did not provide independent evidence to substantiate the claim.
According to him, any decision affecting the party’s presidential candidate must comply with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Electoral Act, the constitution and regulations of the ADP, as well as applicable procedures of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
“Any attempt to secretly substitute, withdraw, replace or otherwise compromise my candidacy without my express consent and without strict adherence to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Electoral Act, the constitution and regulations of the ADP, and applicable INEC procedures would constitute a grave assault on democratic principles and the rights of our members and supporters,” he said.
Abbas said he emerged as the ADP presidential candidate through the party’s recognised processes, stressing that any subsequent decision concerning the ticket should be handled transparently and in accordance with the law.
“My mandate is not a personal possession of any individual, neither is it a political bargaining chip to be traded behind closed doors,” he said.
The ADP candidate urged the party’s National Chairman, Engr. Yabagi Yusuf Sani, the National Working Committee, Board of Trustees, state chairmen and other stakeholders to protect the integrity of the party’s presidential nomination process.
He also called on the party leadership to preserve official records relating to the presidential primary, nomination, submission of documents and communications with INEC.
Abbas further maintained that any alteration to the party’s presidential ticket should only be undertaken through lawful, transparent and verifiable procedures prescribed by the party’s constitution and relevant electoral laws.
He urged political stakeholders to respect the rights of party members and supporters and allow democratic processes to determine candidates for the 2027 elections.
“Our party belongs to its members. Our mandate belongs to the people. And our democracy belongs to Nigeria,” he said.





