Connect with us

NEWS

#EndSARS Enquiry Report: Sanwo-Olu Sues for Peace

Published

on

#EndSARS Enquiry Report: Sanwo-Olu Sues for Peace

 

…Promises Peace Walk, Whitepaper on Schedule

By Edozie Obasi-Eze

The executive governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has charged Lagosians to eschew sentiments and focus on peace to strengthen the state’s economy which will fuel the individual aspirations.

In a statewide broadcast, on Tuesday evening on the #EndSARS Panel of Enquiry Report, the governor said, “our State deserves true healing after the disturbances that trailed last year’s protests against police brutality.

“It is only the sustenance of harmony that can guarantee the realisation of aspirations of all residents.”

He admonished the public to await the whitepaper on the investigation panel’s report instead of being carried away with sentiments being whipped up by grapevine.

Sanwo-Olu stressed “the importance of ensuring harmony following the recent public debate on the unauthorised leak of the panel of Enquiry Report on #EndSARS.

“I appeal to Lagosians to reject those fueling anarchy and suspicion, clinging to unsubstantiated belief that carries no weight of verifiable evidence and choosing emotion over hard facts.”

He said that his administration was working on restoring harmony among the various segments of the society by facilitating better communication between the youths and security operatives, while he would be leading a peace walk in December to aid bonding by the sensitive segments of the society.

In his words, “The State is currently faced with the hard choice of restoring harmony or doing itself a great harm.

“Our administration is ready to facilitate better communication between the youths and the State’s security machinery to resolve issues before they become intractable.

“To quicken recovery and engender a better understanding, I will lead ‘A Walk for Peace’ in December to herald the healing of the land.

“I have extended an open invitation to the youths, members of the diplomatic corps, civil society groups, students and the media as well as other stakeholders to join me in this Peace Walk.”

The governor emphasised that the citizens must rise up to the challenge of building, instead of tearing down the State and commended the resilience of the people that has helped the State build on the ruins of last year’s civil disobedience to sustain the vibrancy of the economy.

“Let me reiterate that nobody will build this city for us. Let us show the world whom we are. We are Lagosians! A people of great renown, driven by the irrepressible spirit of Lagos.

“It is a testimony to our strength and resilience as a people that, despite the huge losses incurred because of these terrible incidents, we have bounced back, with our economy as vibrant and virile as ever.

“I have no doubt whatsoever that our prospects are as bright as ever and the best lies ahead of Lagos State and Nigeria,” he added.

He promised that the state government would soon issue an official report on the judicial panel of inquiry with a view to drawing the cotton on a sad aspect of the nation’s history.

“On the mixed reactions following the release of the report of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry, our administration is committed to a process that would bring a closure to a painful episode in the history of the State as the White Paper will be issued later in the day in keeping to my earlier promise to release it within two weeks,” the governor said.

NEWS

JUST IN: Edo Assembly in Turmoil as Speaker Agbebaku Resigns

Published

on

Edo Cult Clash Leave 10 Dead In Three Days

The Edo State House of Assembly has been thrown into fresh leadership uncertainty following the resignation of its Speaker, Blessing Agbebaku, amid reported moves by some lawmakers to remove him from office.

Agbebaku’s resignation took effect on Monday, August 17, 2026, as the Assembly prepares to determine his successor.

SEE ALSO: JUST IN: Abducted Kebbi Judge Finally Regains Freedom, Returns Home Safely

The development was confirmed by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, in a brief statement shared on Facebook.

“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she announced, adding that further details on the circumstances surrounding the Speaker’s resignation would be made public later.

The resignation came against the backdrop of reported moves by some members of the Assembly to initiate impeachment proceedings against Agbebaku.

However, the specific issues that may have triggered the reported impeachment moves were not immediately clear.

With Agbebaku’s departure, attention has shifted to the Edo Assembly as lawmakers are expected to begin the process of electing a new Speaker.

The development has plunged the legislature into a fresh leadership crisis and is expected to generate further political developments in the state.

Continue Reading

NEWS

With Sights Restored, NNPC/Shell Vision First Outreach Makes Mark in Badagry

Published

on

Nearly 3,000 people in Badagry Local Government Area of Lagos State benefitted from the latest edition of the Vision First initiative of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd) and Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Limited (SNEPCo), last week.

Biztellers reports that on the first day alone, 38 patients had surgeries which restored their sights.

The beneficiaries expressed gratitude to the NNPC Ltd/SNEPCo for the treatment, saying the restoration of their sights would help reintegrate them into society.

READ ALSO: Pipeline Surveillance Crucial for $50bn Upstream Investment

A total of 2,297 people were seen by the medical team of which 1,458 had eye care services with 154 surgeries for cataract and 878 spectacles dispensed. This was in addition to more than 200 general surgeries. There were long queues as people turned out early from different parts of the local government area to take advantage of the services in the five-day outreach.

SNEPCo Managing Director, Ronald Adams commented: “We believe that caring for people goes beyond business; it is a responsibility and a privilege. That is why we remain committed to supporting initiatives that strengthen communities and create lasting impact.”

The Badagry outreach was the 6th since the inception of the Vision First initiative in 2022. Late last year, the first session outside Lagos was held in Asaba, Delta State where nearly 2,000 people received healthcare.

The Vision First programme incorporates other aspects of health care such as cardiovascular screening, consultations and treatment for mild and chronic illnesses, laboratory services, pharmaceutical services and distribution of insecticide-treated nets.

The programme has been delivered in collaboration with Kolmarg Eyesight Foundation, an NGO based in Jos, Plateau State, which aims “to provide comprehensive eye care to the poor and underprivileged in Sub-Saharan Africa.”

SNEPCo, which pioneered deepwater oil production in Nigeria through the Bonga field in 2005, also supports the socio-economic development of the country through investments in education, health, employment generation and infrastructural development.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Osun 2026: Tinubu Congratulated Adeleke Before INEC Declared Him Winner — Accord Chieftain

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his victory in the 2026 governorship election before the Independent National Electoral Commission formally declared him winner, an Accord Party chieftain, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has disclosed.

Olajengbesi made the disclosure while speaking with journalists at the INEC collation centre in Osogbo shortly after Adeleke was declared winner of the election.

He commended Tinubu for what he described as the President’s decision not to interfere with the electoral process, saying it demonstrated his commitment to ensuring that the election was free, fair and credible.

SEE MORE: Osun 2026: Oyebanji Applauds Adeleke, Says Voters Have Spoken

According to him, the President had earlier directed INEC and security agencies to ensure that the election met the required standards.

However, Olajengbesi said the poll could not be considered entirely free and fair, alleging that opposition supporters were subjected to oppression and arrests.

“Let me be honest with you, we are also appreciative of Mr. President because at the commencement of this election, Mr. President himself announced to the world and gave a directive to INEC and all security agencies that this election must be free, fair, and credible.

“We want to believe that this election is very credible, but we do not agree that this election is free and fair because it was oppressive. Our people are still in detention. As I speak to you today, even during the election, over 11 persons were arrested in the process.”

Despite his concerns, Olajengbesi praised Tinubu for allowing the electoral process to continue and respecting the outcome.

“We are glad that the president was able to stand by his word and insist that the right thing must be done,” he said.

He further revealed that Tinubu had contacted Adeleke to congratulate him before INEC formally announced the result.

“Let me tell you this quickly: even before the result was declared yesterday night, Mr. President called Mr. Governor and congratulated him, and that is good leadership,” Olajengbesi said.

Adeleke won the election with 511,067 votes, defeating his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, who secured 444,815 votes.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.