International News
Japan’s New PM, Ishiba, Dissolves Parliament Ahead Of Election
Japan’s new Prime Minister, Shigeru Ishiba, dissolved parliament on Wednesday, setting the stage for snap elections on October 27.
The decision comes just one week after Ishiba assumed office, with the aim of strengthening his political mandate as he leads the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) into the polls.
Ishiba’s move marks the start of a high-stakes election campaign, as he seeks to secure more seats for the LDP and push forward his policy agenda.
The LDP, which has governed Japan for most of the past several decades, is widely expected to remain in power, but Ishiba is focused on solidifying support for his leadership and his plans to increase defense spending and provide aid to regions affected by Japan’s demographic challenges.
Read Also: Airlines To Source Jet Fuel Locally From Dangote Refinery, Ticket Prices Expected To Drop
“We are committed to facing this election with fairness and sincerity, in order to gain the public’s trust,” Ishiba told reporters, underscoring his goal of obtaining a broader mandate for his newly formed government.
The dissolution of parliament was officially announced by lower house speaker Fukushiro Nukaga, who read a letter bearing the emperor’s seal as lawmakers chanted the traditional “banzai” cheer.
Ishiba’s decision to call early elections follows the departure of former Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, whose administration had been plagued by low approval ratings and a slush fund scandal, as well as growing dissatisfaction over rising living costs.
Recent polls suggest Ishiba has a stronger public standing than his predecessor, with approval ratings for his cabinet ranging between 45 and 50 percent, compared to the 20-30 percent seen during Kishida’s final weeks in office.
Ishiba’s reputation as a defense expert and a reform-minded leader has helped boost his popularity, particularly among younger voters.
Political analysts say Ishiba’s decision to call snap elections so soon after taking office is a calculated move to take advantage of his current popularity and the disarray among opposition parties, which remain divided and uncertain about how to coordinate in the upcoming vote.
“It’s a strategic decision to hold elections while the momentum is still on his side,” said Yu Uchiyama, a political science professor at the University of Tokyo.
“The opposition is not yet fully organized, and Ishiba’s early elections will likely catch them off guard.”
However, Ishiba has faced some criticism for calling the election so soon, as he had previously pledged to engage the opposition in parliamentary debate before seeking a new mandate from voters.
The October 27 election will serve as a major test of Ishiba’s leadership as he seeks to navigate both internal party dynamics and the broader challenges facing Japan’s economy and national security.
International News
Fresh Violence Rocks Mali as France Orders Citizens to Evacuate
The government of France has issued an urgent directive to its citizens in Mali, advising them to leave the country immediately following a fresh wave of violent attacks.
In a travel advisory released on Wednesday, the French foreign ministry described the security situation in Mali as “extremely volatile,” citing recent assaults carried out by jihadist groups and Tuareg separatist fighters over the weekend.
ALSO READ: Mali’s Junta Leader Assimi Goita Grants Himself Unlimited Presidential Mandate
According to the statement, all travel to Mali remains strongly discouraged regardless of purpose, as authorities warned that the risk to foreign nationals has significantly increased.
“French nationals are advised to make arrangements to leave Mali temporarily as soon as possible on the commercial flights that are still available,” the ministry said.
The advisory comes amid renewed concerns over instability in the Sahel region, where armed groups have continued to intensify their operations despite years of military interventions.
President Emmanuel Macron has repeatedly expressed concern over the deteriorating security climate in Mali, particularly following the withdrawal of foreign forces and the growing influence of insurgent factions.
Mali has been grappling with insecurity since 2012, as jihadist insurgency, separatist tensions, and political unrest continue to undermine stability in the country.
International News
Why UK Is Moving to Restrict Children’s Access to Social Media
The United Kingdom is considering sweeping new restrictions that could limit or completely block children under the age of 16 from accessing social media platforms, as part of a broader push to improve online safety and reduce excessive screen time among young users.
The proposal, currently under government consultation, is being led by Prime Minister Keir Starmer and focuses on addressing concerns over how teenagers interact with platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.
ALSO READ: UK Says ‘No Entry’ to Kanye West Ahead of Big Comeback Show
Officials say the move is driven by growing evidence and public concern that algorithm-driven feeds and “endless scrolling” features may be negatively affecting children’s sleep patterns, concentration levels, and overall well-being.
The government is also reviewing whether additional measures such as app curfews and time limits should be introduced.
Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said the consultation has already attracted widespread public input, with tens of thousands of responses from parents, teenagers, and advocacy groups.
She noted that the government is particularly interested in feedback on addictive platform design features and the use of AI tools targeting younger users.
The UK is also studying policies already implemented in other countries. Australia has introduced stricter age-based restrictions, while Greece and Indonesia have also moved toward tighter regulation of children’s access to social media.
Authorities emphasize that no final decision has been made, but the consultation process is expected to shape future legislation on how tech companies operate and how young users are protected online in the digital age.
International News
You Won’t Believe What Trump Said About Pope Leo
U.S. President Donald Trump has sparked global reactions following his remarks about Pope Leo XIV after the Pope’s recent anti-war message calling for peace in conflict-hit regions.
The controversy began after Pope Leo XIV delivered a strong appeal at the Vatican, urging world leaders to end ongoing wars and prioritise dialogue over violenceviolence.
ALSO READ: Melania Trump to Preside Over UN Council as Middle East Burns
The pontiff warned against the “idolatry of power” and called for global cooperation to restore peace.
Reacting to the message, Trump told reporters he is “not a big fan” of Pope Leo XIV, describing him as “very liberal” and questioning his views on crime and international security.
The U.S. President further criticised the Pope’s stance on global conflicts, suggesting his message overlooks serious security challenges linked to rising geopolitical tensions, including nuclear concerns.
In a follow-up post on Truth Social, Trump intensified his criticism, accusing the Pope of taking a weak position on foreign policy matters and suggesting political factors influenced his leadership position.
The comments have since triggered widespread debate across political and religious circles, adding to ongoing tensions between Washington and the Vatican over issues such as immigration policy, military action, and global diplomacy.
While both sides have previously denied any formal rift, the latest exchange has renewed global attention on their differing positions regarding war and peace efforts.





