Politics
No one can stop my passion, zeal to improve Nigerians’ livelihood – Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari in the course of the week reiterated the determination of his administration to uplift the quality of life of the citizens in spite of the harsh socio-economic realities.
He said that the passion and zeal for improving the livelihood of Nigerians had not dwindled, calling for more steadfastness as Nigerians.
The president gave the assurance when he received former State Chairmen of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) at the State House, Abuja, on Tuesday.
He, however, urged political leaders to stay focused and uphold the ultimate objective of promoting interest of the country.
The president said the self-centeredness that led to the loss of about a million lives between 1967-1970 must not be allowed to repeat itself.
The president, who is also the Minister of Petroleum Resources, had also consented to the acquisition of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited by Seplat Energy Offshore Ltd., a Nigerian outfit.
ExxonMobil, the parent company had earlier entered into a landmark Sale and Purchase Agreement with Seplat Energy to acquire the entire share capital of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited from Exxon Mobil Corporation of the U.S.A.
The agreement would also enable Seplat Energy to acquire share capital from Mobil Development Nigeria Inc., and Mobil Exploration Nigeria Inc., both registered in Delaware, USA.
Mr Femi Adesina, the president’s spokesman stated on Monday in Abuja that the president’s consent was in consonance with Nigeria’s drive for increased indigenous participation in the energy sector.
Also on Monday, the president congratulated the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Sports Federations and Associations on the performance of Team Nigeria at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, United Kingdom.
Team Nigeria posted an impressive outing at the competition, finishing seventh on the medals table with 12 gold, 9 silver and 14 bronze.
On the same day, Buhari forwarded the name of Muhammad Sabo Lamido to the Senate for confirmation as Executive Commissioner, Finance and Accounts, for the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission.
Buhari, in a letter addressed to President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, said Lamido was being nominated due to the death of Hassan Gambo, who occupied the position until his demise.
The president also received the new Executive Members of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), in the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Tuesday.
At the meeting with the NMA officials, Buhari disclosed that the Federal Government had disbursed N100 billion to indigenous pharmaceutical manufacturers and healthcare investors as loans to expand their capital base.
He said it was also meant to boost local production of medicines and medical consumables.
Buhari stated that the loan was extended through the Central Bank of Nigeria’s support to the private pharmaceutical sector.
The president also announced the appointment of former Permanent Secretary, Ecological Project Office (EPO), Dr Habiba Muda-Lawal, as Special Adviser to him on Policy and Coordination.
Buhari also hosted the Director-General of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Organization, Simon Lalong, in the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Wednesday.
Lalong, who is also the Governor of Plateau, said he was in the Presidential Villa to thank the president for approving the University of Jos as a national cancer centre.
He also lauded Buahri for granting presidential pardon to the former Governor of the state, Joshua Dariye.
According to him, the people of the State will remain grateful to the president for delivering a lot of democratic dividends to the State.
Also on Wednesday, President Buhari joined members of staff and political appointees in the State House in congratulating the Permanent Secretary, Tijjani Umar, on his 59th birthday.
The president congratulated Umar, his family, friends and professional colleagues on the auspicious occasion.
Buhari appreciated Umar’s efforts, sacrifices and dedication to effective management of the State House.
Buhari unveiled the 2023 National Population and Housing Census Project Document, aimed at promoting robust and informed national conversation on procedures for the census.
He unveiled the document at the National Stakeholders Summit on the 2023 census, organised by the National Population Commission (NPC), in collaboration with the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) Nigeria in Abuja on Thursday.
Buhari also hosted representatives of victims of Kaduna train abduction in Abuja, on Thursday.
According to the president, the Federal Government was doing everything within its powers to ensure the safe return of the remaining abducted passengers of the ill-fated Abuja-Kaduna train.
He said, ”since the terrible and cowardly attack by the criminal elements on March 28, the nation had joined them to endure a period of difficulty and emotional pains.”
READ ALSO: Kanu’s life in jeopardy – lawyer writes Buhari’s ministers, Onyeama, Malami
Buhari also explained his reason for discarding the use of lethal military force in extracting the remaining abductees.
The president, therefore, condoled with the families of the victims and those who lost their loved ones.
Buhari also on Thursday received the new President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr Omar Touray and his Management Team, telling them the kind of sub-regional body West African leaders desire and must have.
Buhari, also on Friday in Abuja, received the Management of BUA Group at the State House led by the Chairman, Abdul Samad Rabiu.
He also inaugurated the National Crisis Management Doctrine (NCMD), to bridge the gap created by extensive deployment of security services through fostering collaboration among Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
The NCMD, which was developed by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), in coordination with relevant MDAs, would ensure greater successes in tackling national crisis.
The president concluded the week with a closed-door meeting with Gov. Hope Uzodinma of Imo in the presidential villa, Abuja, on Friday.
Uzodinma, who spoke to State House correspondents at the end of the meeting thanked the president for graciously granting his request that the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Owerri be converted to Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) Teaching Hospital.
He also disclosed that he sought president’s approval for the Alvan Ikoku College of Education to become Federal University of Education, Owerri
The governor spoke extensively on the forthcoming 2023 General Elections.
HE urged the media to pay more attention to issues like the depletion of the country’s crude oil output and the unsettling security situation in the country.
Politics
Fresh Crisis Hits APC as Senators, Aspirants Reject Primary Results Across 9 States
Fresh crisis has erupted within the All Progressives Congress following widespread rejection of the party’s senatorial and National Assembly primary election results by aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders across nine states.
The controversy, which trailed the APC primaries conducted ahead of the 2027 general elections, has sparked protests, petitions and allegations of manipulation, imposition of candidates and violation of internal democratic processes in Ekiti, Ondo, Zamfara, Nasarawa, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Delta and Benue states.
In Ekiti State, former senator Ayo Arise and fellow aspirant Dare Owolabi rejected the outcome of the APC senatorial primary in Ekiti North Senatorial District, where the incumbent senator, Cyril Fasuyi, was declared winner.
SEE MORE: Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice
While the APC election committee announced that Fasuyi polled 14,179 votes to defeat his rivals, Arise insisted he won the election based on ward results in his possession.
He alleged that the process was disrupted in several wards after it became obvious he was leading.
Arise described the exercise as being riddled with irregularities, intimidation and fraud, vowing to challenge the outcome before the national leadership of the party.
Owolabi also faulted the exercise, alleging that supporters were harassed and chased away from voting venues across several wards.
However, Fasuyi dismissed the allegations and maintained that the primary election was conducted in line with APC guidelines.
In Ondo State, former deputy governor and senatorial aspirant, Agboola Ajayi, also rejected the outcome of the Ondo South senatorial primary, describing the announced results as fake.
Ajayi’s campaign organisation claimed the figures declared by the senatorial collation officer did not reflect the actual results collated by its agents across the wards.
In Zamfara State, several aspirants criticised the adoption of consensus arrangements by party leaders instead of direct primaries.
Former governor and Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, had announced that consensus candidates had emerged across the state following agreements among aspirants.
But aspirants including Tijjani Kaura, Dr Sani Shinkafi and Hajiya Lubuna Gusau denied participating in any consensus arrangement and accused party leaders of attempting to impose candidates.
Shinkafi further accused party leaders of misleading President Bola Tinubu by claiming he directed aspirants to step down for incumbent lawmakers.
In Nasarawa State, APC members under the platform of Concerned APC Members staged a peaceful protest over alleged irregularities during the National Assembly primaries.
The group accused the election committee of poor coordination, late arrival of election materials and favouritism towards certain candidates.
Similarly, APC stakeholders in Kwara State petitioned the national leadership of the party over the conduct of the House of Representatives primary election in the Ekiti/Oke-Ero/Isin/Irepodun Federal Constituency.
The stakeholders alleged that no voting exercise took place in some areas and accused local party leaders of releasing unauthorised election results.
In Plateau State, Plateau North Senatorial District aspirant and serving senator, Pam Dachungyang, rejected the APC senate primary, describing the process as a sham that failed to meet democratic standards.
According to him, party officials failed to appear in several areas where voting was expected to take place.
The crisis also spread to Kaduna State, where aggrieved aspirants staged protests across Kaduna metropolis over the outcome of the senatorial primaries.
The protesters alleged that the APC abandoned the approved direct primary system and instead adopted an unauthorised delegate arrangement.
The protest followed the emergence of Sunday Katung, former governor Ramalan Yero and Shehu Sani as winners of the APC senatorial tickets.
In Delta State, the Chairman of the APC National Assembly Primaries Appeal Committee, Chukwuemeka Ujam, confirmed that the panel had received five petitions from aggrieved party members challenging the conduct of the primaries.
Meanwhile, in Benue State, two aspirants challenged the victory of Blessing Onuh in the APC House of Representatives primary for Otukpo/Ohinmini Federal Constituency.
The aspirants alleged that election materials were hijacked and claimed the votes allocated to Onuh exceeded the number of registered party members in the constituency.
The growing wave of protests and petitions has further exposed deepening cracks within the APC as the ruling party prepares for the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang
A governorship aspirant in Plateau State, Commander Yilchin Jan Bida (rtd), has declared that he is fully committed to contesting the 2027 governorship race, insisting that he is “not in the race to fill numbers” but to win.
Yilchin Jan Bida made the statement while addressing journalists in Plateau State on Tuesday, where he reaffirmed his confidence in defeating incumbent Governor Caleb Mutfwang in a free and fair party primary.
SEE ALSO: Violence Rocks APC Primaries in Plateau, Officials Flee for Safety
Caleb Mutfwang is expected to seek re-election in the 2027 polls, setting the stage for what could become a heated internal party contest.
Bida said his ambition is backed by a structured development plan known as the “LIGHT Agenda,” which he described as a comprehensive blueprint aimed at transforming governance across security, infrastructure, education, and economic development.
Security and Infrastructure Focus
The aspirant said insecurity remains a major concern in Plateau State, arguing that poor rural road networks and limited telecommunications coverage have worsened response time during emergencies.
He pledged that, if elected, his administration would ensure full mobile network coverage across the state and expand rural road construction to improve access to remote communities.
Bold Development Promise
Bida also outlined an ambitious infrastructure plan, stating that his government would invest heavily in roads, bridges, and community development projects across all 17 local government areas of the state.
He estimated a projected spending of about N1 trillion over four years, with each local government expected to benefit from at least 40 kilometres of road construction.
Education and Human Capital
On education, Bida expressed concern over what he described as inadequate investment in human capital development, warning that it could affect the future competitiveness of Plateau youths.
He said his administration would prioritise education, healthcare, and youth empowerment while also supporting small businesses and local enterprise growth.
Political Outlook
Bida maintained that his participation in the race is driven by vision and preparation, not symbolism, adding that he is confident of victory in the party primary if conducted fairly.
The 2027 Plateau governorship race is gradually shaping into a competitive political contest as aspirants intensify consultations and policy declarations.
Politics
Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice
There was a surprise development in the political landscape of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ogun State on Tuesday as a House of Assembly aspirant, Ademola Okeowo, withdrew from the race and declared support for the party’s consensus candidate.
Okeowo, who was vying to represent Ijebu North State Constituency I, announced his decision at the APC secretariat in Ijebu North, Ijebu Igbo, before party leaders, stakeholders, and supporters.
SEE MORE: Benue APC Primary Turns Messy as Onoja’s Son Battles David Mark’s Daughter Over Victory
He said the move followed extensive consultations with party elders and leaders, stressing that it was taken in the interest of unity and discipline within the party.
According to him, although he had enjoyed strong grassroots support and encouragement from different communities, he decided to step down in line with the party’s consensus arrangement.
“I have decided to step down unconditionally in support of the party’s consensus candidate,” Okeowo stated, adding that his political structure would now be merged with that of the chosen candidate.
He called on his supporters, youth groups, women associations, and coordinators to fully mobilise for the success of the APC in the forthcoming elections.
The APC Vice Chairman in Ijebu North, Alhaji Adesegun Adenola, commended the decision, describing it as a move that strengthens internal unity within the party.
Adenola disclosed that out of about 14 initial aspirants, the number was reduced to four after internal screening, with two aspirants, including Okeowo, stepping down in support of the consensus candidate, Olatunbosun Ipaye.
He added that remaining contenders were also expected to align with the party’s decision ahead of the primaries.
The development highlights ongoing efforts by the APC to consolidate internal harmony and avoid division ahead of the next electoral cycle in Ogun State.





