Connect with us

NEWS

Plateau set to clear backlog of N18bn gratuities of retired civil servants

Published

on

Plateau set to clear backlog of N18bn gratuities of retired civil servants

The Plateau Government says it will partner with a private finance firm, United Capital, to clear the backlog of about N18 billion of gratuities, death benefits and arrears of pension of its erstwhile civil servants.

The Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr Dan Manja, disclosed this at a media briefing at the end of the State Executive Council meeting on Wednesday in Jos.

“United Capital has agreed to take up the back log of gratuity, death benefits and arrears of pension of civil servants, totaling about 18 billion.

“However, the civil servants have a choice because it is going to be discounted at a rate, so it is subject to negotiation with the civil servants, “ he said.

Manja said the council approved the downward review of prices of properties at the Government Reserve Area in Shendam Local Government Area for its occupants who are retired workers, following appeal from them on difficulty in paying for the houses and the land allocated to them several years ago.

READ ALSO: Insecurity: We’re Gaining Upper Hand in Plateau State – Military

He said council was informed that Gov Simon Lalong had approved and released N114 million as payment for the operational licence fees of the Plateau Radio and Television, noting that the corporation was currently up to date in the payment of the fees.

Manja said that more than N1billion was approved for new projects and variations for previously awarded ones projects.

He said the projects included the Cemetery Road in Dadin Kowa in Jos South LGA and the construction of access road to the Area Command Office of the Nigeria Immigration Service.

Other projects approved included the supply and installation of solar-powered street lights within the new Government House and works at the General Hospitals in Kwal, Mabudi and Riyom.

The commissioner said that the council applauded Lalong for his appointment as the Director-General of the All Progressive Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign saying, it has “positioned Plateau on the national map of national politics“.

He said council also commended Lalong for his efforts in facilitating the reopening of Karl Kuum University which was suspended in 2021 by the National Universities Commission following a disagreement with its host community.

The council also rejoiced on the release of the state`s former governor, Chief Joshua Dariya, and the former governor of Taraba, Rev. Jolly Nyame, in the aftermath of their pardon by President Muhammadu Buhari on April 14.

NEWS

N12tn Subsidy Discrepancy: APM Calls for EFCC Probe of Oyedele, Edun

Published

on

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC,

The Allied Peoples’ Movement, APM, has petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to investigate an alleged N12 trillion discrepancy in savings from the removal of petrol subsidy.

The party also called on the anti-graft agency to question the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, his predecessor, Wale Edun, and relevant officials of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources over the figures.

The demand was contained in a statement by APM National Publicity Secretary, Abubakar Yusuf, who said the alleged discrepancy must be fully accounted for.

SEE MORE: EFCC Brokers Structured Repayment Plan over Nestoil

According to the party, Oyedele had put the savings from petrol subsidy removal at N15.8 trillion, while earlier government figures under Edun indicated that about $20 billion, equivalent to N27 trillion, had been saved as of November 2024.

Yusuf said, “The APM therefore petitions the EFCC to investigate the N12 trillion discrepancy by inviting the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, his predecessors in office, Wale Edun as well as officials of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources for questioning.”

APM also urged the National Assembly to conduct an open inquest into the alleged discrepancy, insisting that Nigerians deserve a clear account of the subsidy savings.

The party argued that the alleged N12 trillion difference could have been used to finance major infrastructure projects and improve the economy.

It said the amount would be enough to build a refinery with a capacity of between 250,000 and 300,000 barrels per day, potentially creating jobs, attracting ancillary investments and helping to reduce petroleum prices.

APM further claimed that the funds could finance about 1,000 kilometres of standard railway linking Lagos, Abuja and other parts of the country.

According to the party, such an investment would ease transportation, boost commerce and reduce pressure on the nation’s roads.

“It is therefore disheartening that due to sheer greed, avarice and incurable corruption of the APC, Nigerians have been denied these life-enhancing benefits,” the party said.

APM alleged that the discrepancy had heightened concerns over the possible diversion of subsidy savings by corrupt officials and associates of the Tinubu administration.

The party vowed to continue demanding accountability until every kobo from the subsidy savings is accounted for.

Continue Reading

International News

US Military Newspaper Chiefs Sacked Over Editorial Freedom Row

Published

on

The United States Department of Defense has fired the editor-in-chief, publisher and a reporter of a long-running military newspaper amid a growing dispute over editorial independence.

The newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Erik Slavin, told CBS News that he was dismissed for “insubordination” after speaking to the network about disagreements with the Department of Defense.

SEE ALSO: Iran’s Threat Pushes Brent Over $90

The department had earlier this year said it wanted to steer the publication’s coverage away from what it described as “woke distractions.”

The newspaper’s publisher, Max Lederer, who had served in the position since 2007, was also notified that he was being terminated. His dismissal came just three days after he announced plans to retire from the publication.

Reporter Lara Korte also confirmed that she had been fired for alleged insubordination.

“Today, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes — not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker,” Korte wrote on X.

The dismissals came only days after the newspaper published a report detailing grim conditions faced by crewmembers aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The report triggered fresh criticism of President Donald Trump’s handling of the war with Iran. The aircraft carrier had been deployed before the conflict in the Middle East began in February.

Last weekend, the US military announced that a new carrier strike group had arrived in the region, while Trump said the Lincoln would be replaced.

Slavin had also drawn attention last month after publicly opposing what he described as attempts by the Department of Defense to interfere with the newspaper’s editorial decisions.

During an interview on “CBS Sunday Morning,” Slavin was asked whether there were any editorial red lines he would not cross.

“‘Don’t run a perfectly accurate story, run this instead. Here it is, written by the Pentagon.’ That would be a red line,” he said.

Lederer had announced his retirement on Tuesday, with his departure initially scheduled for September 30.

He said his decision followed fundamental differences between his leadership philosophy and the plans the Department of Defense had for the organisation.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has faced criticism from sections of the media over his approach to journalism since taking charge of the department in 2025.

The independence of US military media outlets has increasingly come under scrutiny.

Shortly before Lederer announced his retirement, active-duty US Navy Captain William Urban was installed as military deputy to the publisher, a move interpreted by some, including Democratic lawmakers, as weakening the publication’s editorial independence.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Tinubu’s Men Bomb Atiku on Fuel Subsidy

Published

on

Nigeria’s former Vice President Atiku Abubakar’s promise of restoring petrol subsidy if elected president in 2027 has drawn attacks from the corner of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The Presidency reacted sharply to Atiku’s pledge, describing it as a deceptive political jab, capable of undermining Nigeria’s economic recovery.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Communication, Sunday Dare, stated this in a statement on Thursday, following Atiku’s declaration that he would reverse the subsidy removal if elected.

Dare accused Atiku of attempting to manipulate Nigerians for political gain, saying the former Vice President’s position could halt what he described as ongoing recovery across various sectors of the economy.

“Atiku Abubakar: Your pronouncement that you will bring back fuel subsidy is drenched in hypocrisy and deceit. It is an unpardonable manipulation of the public psyche, designed to hoodwink unsuspecting Nigerians into voting for you,” Dare said.

READ ALSO: NUPRC Says Nigeria has Extracted 4.6bn Barrels from Deep Offshore

He added, “The ongoing recovery across various sectors of our national life annoys you, and will be halted if this thinking of yours is implemented. By the Grace of God, it will not happen, and all good men of conscience must rise up against you.”

Atiku had made the pledge during a Facebook Live session while responding to questions on the removal of the petrol subsidy and how the savings from the policy had been utilised.

The former Vice President said he initially did not oppose the subsidy removal but questioned how the savings had been spent.

“I initially did not oppose the removal of the fuel subsidy. But now that it has been removed, where is the money? Where has the subsidy money gone? Has it been used to improve healthcare, education or security?” Atiku asked.

He added, “If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy. And anyone who stole Nigeria’s subsidy funds must return the money.”

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x