Crime
UK Court Jails Nigerian Student For Terrorism Threat
A Nigerian Masters student, Somtochukwu Okwuoha, has been sentenced to 40 months in a UK prison for making terrorist threats against Dundee University.
According to the BBC, Okwuoha asserted he had contacted Isis to aid in bombing the university.
He also informed university staff of his intentions to target the city with a chemical attack. A jury convicted the 26-year-old on seven charges.
Sherifg Williams told him “Your presence in the United Kingdom is not conducive to the public good, and I make a recommendation for your deportation in due course.”
During the trial, it was claimed that Okwuoha arrived in the UK in 2021 and established a relationship with another student, who reportedly rejected his advances.
Sheriff Wood said “You were abusive towards her and tried to have her removed from her university course.
“The university decided to suspend you from your course and you turned your attention towards staff.
“You threatened mass murder, terrorism, said you would plant bombs and use biological weapons.
According to BBC reports, witnesses detailed Okwuoha’s assertions of having a military background and the capability to craft bombs and unleash a deadly virus on the city.
Keith Mackle, now retired at 58 and previously serving as a director of student services, testified at Perth Sheriff Court, expressing his awareness of “serious concerns” in the autumn of 2021.
Quoting Okwuoha, Mackle recounted: “Expect a massive bomb explosion at the University of Dundee. I have contacted Isis terrorists to plant bombs on campus.”
“I can assure you staff and students will die in great numbers. 9/11 will be a joke compared to what will happen. Blood will spill and flesh will be scattered.”
Crime
N33.8bn Power Fraud: EFCC Nabs Ex-Minister Saleh Mamman After Months on the Run
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, over his alleged involvement in a N33.8 billion fraud linked to power sector projects in Nigeria.
The arrest comes months after Mamman was convicted in absentia on multiple counts bordering on the alleged diversion of public funds meant for critical electricity infrastructure, including the Mambilla Power Project and other national power initiatives.
SEE ALSO: JUST IN: Court Remands Buhari’s Power Minister, Mamman In Kuje Prison
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, confirmed that the former minister was apprehended at about 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday in the Rigasa area of Kaduna State following weeks of intelligence-led surveillance operations.
According to him, Mamman had evaded arrest since his conviction and sentencing, prompting a sustained nationwide search by EFCC operatives.
He said the arrest represents a major breakthrough in the commission’s efforts to ensure that all individuals found guilty of financial crimes are brought to justice, regardless of their status or influence.
Two suspects arrested for allegedly harbouring ex-minister
The EFCC also disclosed that two other individuals were arrested during the operation for allegedly assisting and providing shelter to the former minister while he was on the run.
Investigators are currently questioning the suspects to determine the extent of their involvement in aiding a convicted fugitive.
Properties and assets under investigation
The anti-graft agency further revealed that it has identified additional properties suspected to be linked to Mamman, adding that asset recovery processes are already underway.
EFCC boss Olukoyede noted that the case has exposed weaknesses in monitoring high-profile corruption trials, adding that reforms would be introduced to prevent similar lapses in future cases.
Prosecutor confirms enforcement of court order
The Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), said the arrest marks the enforcement of a court judgment, stating that Mamman’s conviction and sentence are now being fully implemented following his capture.
He added that the next step would be the ex-minister’s transfer to a correctional facility in line with legal procedures.
Bizteller recalls that Saleh Mamman was convicted over allegations of diverting funds allocated for major power projects, including the Mambilla hydroelectric scheme, one of Nigeria’s largest and most strategic energy investments.
The EFCC says the arrest underscores its commitment to tackling corruption and recovering stolen public funds across the country.
Crime
Drama in Kebbi as Hisbah Finds Man Hidden Inside ‘Ghana Must-Go’ Bag at Married Woman’s Home
Operatives of the Kebbi State Hisbah Board, an agency under the state Ministry of Religious Affairs, have arrested a man allegedly found hiding inside a “Ghana Must-Go” bag at the residence of a married woman in the Badariya area of Birnin Kebbi.)
The Director of Sharia at the board, Sirajo Kamba, confirmed the incident in a statement issued on Tuesday in Birnin Kebbi.
According to Kamba, residents of the community alerted the Hisbah Board around 12:15 a.m. on Monday, May 18, after noticing a man entering the woman’s residence under suspicious circumstances.
SEE ALSO: Gov Buni Hints On Establishing Hisbah Police In Yobe
He explained that the residents suspected the pair were involved in an illicit relationship considered contrary to Islamic teachings and therefore decided to formally notify the authorities.
“Upon receiving the report, the Kebbi Hisbah Board swiftly deployed officers to investigate the matter,” Kamba said.
He disclosed that when officers arrived at the residence and requested permission to search the premises, the married woman initially denied that anyone else was inside the house.
Kamba, however, noted that the woman later allowed the operatives to conduct a thorough search, which led to the discovery of the suspect allegedly concealed inside a large “Ghana Must-Go” bag.
Further investigations, according to the Hisbah official, revealed that the suspect allegedly had a romantic relationship with the married woman.
He added that both suspects allegedly admitted to the claims during interrogation and would be arraigned before a Sharia court to face legal proceedings under Islamic law.
The incident has since sparked reactions among residents, many expressing shock over the unusual manner in which the suspect was allegedly hidden inside the bag.
Meanwhile, the development comes days after the Kano State Hisbah Board arrested two women and a 35-year-old fish seller over an alleged attempt to engage in immoral acts in the state.
The Director of Public Enlightenment of the Kano State Hisbah Board, Auwalu Sheshe, had disclosed in a statement that operatives found the fish seller, identified as Ali Abubakar from the Kano Cooperative area, alongside his female companion, Fatima Abubakar, a 28-year-old woman from the Niger Republic, inside a room allegedly preparing to engage in immoral conduct.
Crime
“My Properties Are Legitimate” — Malami Challenges EFCC Allegations in Court
Former Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, has strongly denied allegations that his properties are proceeds of crime, as he challenges the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in court over an interim forfeiture order.
Malami, in a sworn affidavit before the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, maintained that all assets linked to him were lawfully acquired through years of legal practice, business investments, loans, and other legitimate sources of income.
He faulted the EFCC’s position, insisting that the agency failed to present credible evidence connecting any of the properties to unlawful activity.
SEE MORE: Court Pushes Malami, Son’s Terrorism Financing Trial to April 15
According to him, the claims were based on speculation rather than facts.
“There is no document before the court showing these properties were acquired with proceeds of crime,” he argued.
The former Minister of Justice also accused the anti-graft agency of inflating the value of his assets, alleging that properties worth hundreds of millions of naira were wrongly presented as being worth billions.
He further stated that independent valuations had shown significantly lower and more accurate figures.
Malami explained that his wealth was accumulated over decades through legal practice, investments in sectors such as hospitality, agriculture, and education, as well as loans from commercial banks, asset sales, and earnings from book-related activities.
He added that all his income had been duly declared to relevant government agencies.
He also alleged procedural violations, claiming that operatives of the EFCC acted outside their legal authority by seizing properties and evicting occupants without a final forfeiture order.
The EFCC, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, had earlier obtained an interim forfeiture order over the assets, linking them to suspected proceeds of unlawful activities.
However, Malami is urging the court to dismiss the order and restore his properties.





