Connect with us

Politics

Atiku Queries FG’s Accelerated Approval Of Oando, AGIP/ENI Deal

Published

on

 

 

. . . Slams Tinubu Over Subsidy Scam, Rights Abuse

. . .  Demands Release Of Detained Whistleblower, Bristol Tamunobiefiri

Former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has demanded for explanations from the Federal Government on the accelerated approval for Oando to buy the onshore assets of AGIP and ENI while other transactions like the Shell/Renaissance deal and the Mobil/Seplat remained in the cooler.

Biztellers reports that the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in Nigeria’s 2023 election alleged that the Oando Plc owned by the Tinubu family.

ALSO READ; Atiku Showers Praises Enigmatic IBB On 83rd Birthday

This was contained in a statement in Abuja, on Sunday by the Special Assistant on Public Communication to Atiku Abubakar, Phrank Shaibu.

According to Shaibu, his principal also slammed the Bola Tinubu administration for implementing a sham subsidy regime as revealed in the financial statement recently released by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd).

Atiku lamented, “Tinubu visited the FMDQ in New York, visited Qatar, visited France where he told lies about removing petrol subsidies. Obviously, this is not a man who is serious about attracting FDI.

“More worrisome is that he is not even brave enough to admit that subsidy is being paid. The NNPCL admits that N7.8tn is owed to the national oil company by the Nigerian government.

“IMF estimates that subsidy payments this year will constitute 3% of GDP, which is about $7.5bn. This will be about N11.8tn. Yet, the petrol scarcity continues to linger while the Tinubu administration continues to frustrate the Dangote Refinery and even its own NNPCL facilities.

“Obviously, the subsidy regime has become an even wider conduit pipe through which monies for funding the 2027 election will come.”

Atiku, Shaibu wrote, doubled down on his allegation that Oando was being given undue and preferential treatment in the oil and gas sector to the detriment of more competent investors.

Specifically, Atiku knocked the House of Representatives for failing to take proper action on the NNPC Ltd which has now gone ahead to “mortgage the country’s national oil assets to vested interests”.

Atiku said, “Within just eight months, the Nigerian Upstream Production Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) approved a deal which saw the divestment of ENI/AGIP onshore assets to Oando. Within that same period, Nigeria controversially withdrew all litigation against Shell/ENI in the OPL 245 scandal in what has been described as a quid pro quo.

“However, the attempt by SEPLAT to buy Mobil’s onshore assets has continued to stall for the last three years even as the consent letter remains on Tinubu’s table. The deal between Renaissance and Shell continues to stall.

“In fact, the only deal that has fully scaled through so far is the one involving Oando. We now know why it got accelerated approval.

“Ideally, democracy ought to be government of the people, for the people, and by the people. But democracy in Nigeria has become the government of Tinubu, by Tinubu, and for Tinubu and his family members.”

Atiku added, “In July 2023, the House of Representatives, following the adoption of a motion moved by Miriam Onuoha directed NNPC Ltd to suspend the acquisition of OVH assets pending an investigation by its committee.

“The House ad-hoc committee requested the NNPC Ltd to furnish it with information about registration documents/history from CAC for OVH, Nueoil, and NNPC Retail Limited (NRL), Board Resolution of NNPC Ltd on purchase of OVH, Audited Financial Statement and Management Accounts from 2015 to date of OVH, Nueoil, NRL and NNPC Ltd and the payroll from 2015 to date for NRL and OVH; Board Resolution of NRL/CHQ for movement of head office to Lagos and evidence of Tax Payments for NRL and OVH from 2015 to date.

“The NNPC ignored all these and went ahead to transfer its ownership and properties in its retail arm to OVH, thereby mortgaging the future of Nigerians.

“Despite the rot in the oil sector, the head of the NNPC, the head of the NUPRC, and the head of the NMDPRA continue to keep their jobs. This is clear evidence that they are fulfilling the mandate given to them by Tinubu.”

Furthermore, Atiku pointed out that the NNPC lied in its vacuous response to their statement last week, as it is on record that the Kyari-led management appointed Huub Stoksman, a former Chief Executive Officer of OVH Energy, as Managing Director of NNPC Retail, and Mumuni Dangazau, the former Chief Operating Officer of OVH Energy, as his Special Adviser Downstream, long before the consummation of the incestuous marriage of the entitities.

In a related development, Atiku also lambasted the Tinubu administration for the rise in human rights abuses.

According to  the Waziri Adamawa, Tinubu who rode to power over exaggerated claims of being a freedom fighter, had turned against the people by allowing the Department of State Services (DSS), police and even the military to abuse the rights of citizens without any consequences.

He noted that in some instances, citizens were arrested in a gestapo manner without the knowledge of their relatives who go about looking for them for several weeks.

The former Vice President said the most affected since Tinubu took office have been journalists whose only crime is reporting the news and exposing government indiscretion.

He argued that the Cyber Crime Prevention Act 2015 had become a tool with which officials in the Tinubu administration were abducting citizens while the Nigeria Police Force National Cybercrime Centre (NPF-NCCC) had transmuted into the defunct SARS.

The dangerous trend of enforced disappearances has become a national embarrassment for a country which claims to be practising democracy. On May 1, 2024, Daniel Ojukwu of the Foundation for Investigative Journalism went missing and was presumed abducted by kidnappers until he was later discovered to be in police custody on the orders of IGP Kayode Egbetokun.

“Ojukwu’s crime was that he exposed the corruption of a government official who currently serves in Tinubu’s administration. On July 23, the DSS arrested one Aliyu Sanusi in Sama Road of Sokoto, the state capital for printing and distributing materials ahead of the #EndBadGovernanceProtest. Even the arrest and release of the former BBC Pidgin Editor and current West Africa Regional Editor of the Conversation, Adejuwon Soyinka, clearly shows a pattern, which objective is to intimidate journalists for speaking truth to this government.

“Now, the police have arrested Bristol Tamunobiefiri, who owns the PIDOM Nigeria blog on X, formerly Twitter. After detaining him for over two weeks, he was granted an administrative bail, which will be impossible to meet. This is despite the fact that the Appeal Court, in the case of EFCC V. Emem Uboh (2022) LPEIR – 57968 (CA) held that administrative bail is illegal. Bristol should, therefore, be arraigned in court immediately or released,” Atiku added.

Atiku advised Tinubu to take cases of human rights abuses seriously or Nigeria would remain at the risk of being slammed with sanctions which would prevent western powers from selling weapons, a development he argues could undermine Nigeria’s ability to tackle insecurity.

“Amnesty International still has a pending petition before the Foreign Committee of the US Congress against the sale of weapons to Nigeria due to human rights concerns in line with the Leahy Law. Tinubu would do well to curb these cases of rights abuses by law enforcement authorities who all report to him as commander-in-chief,” the former Vice President said.

 

Politics

Fresh Crisis Hits APC as Senators, Aspirants Reject Primary Results Across 9 States

Published

on

Fresh crisis has erupted within the All Progressives Congress following widespread rejection of the party’s senatorial and National Assembly primary election results by aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders across nine states.

The controversy, which trailed the APC primaries conducted ahead of the 2027 general elections, has sparked protests, petitions and allegations of manipulation, imposition of candidates and violation of internal democratic processes in Ekiti, Ondo, Zamfara, Nasarawa, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Delta and Benue states.

In Ekiti State, former senator Ayo Arise and fellow aspirant Dare Owolabi rejected the outcome of the APC senatorial primary in Ekiti North Senatorial District, where the incumbent senator, Cyril Fasuyi, was declared winner.

SEE MORE: Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

While the APC election committee announced that Fasuyi polled 14,179 votes to defeat his rivals, Arise insisted he won the election based on ward results in his possession.

He alleged that the process was disrupted in several wards after it became obvious he was leading.

Arise described the exercise as being riddled with irregularities, intimidation and fraud, vowing to challenge the outcome before the national leadership of the party.

Owolabi also faulted the exercise, alleging that supporters were harassed and chased away from voting venues across several wards.

However, Fasuyi dismissed the allegations and maintained that the primary election was conducted in line with APC guidelines.

In Ondo State, former deputy governor and senatorial aspirant, Agboola Ajayi, also rejected the outcome of the Ondo South senatorial primary, describing the announced results as fake.

Ajayi’s campaign organisation claimed the figures declared by the senatorial collation officer did not reflect the actual results collated by its agents across the wards.

In Zamfara State, several aspirants criticised the adoption of consensus arrangements by party leaders instead of direct primaries.

Former governor and Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, had announced that consensus candidates had emerged across the state following agreements among aspirants.

But aspirants including Tijjani Kaura, Dr Sani Shinkafi and Hajiya Lubuna Gusau denied participating in any consensus arrangement and accused party leaders of attempting to impose candidates.

Shinkafi further accused party leaders of misleading President Bola Tinubu by claiming he directed aspirants to step down for incumbent lawmakers.

In Nasarawa State, APC members under the platform of Concerned APC Members staged a peaceful protest over alleged irregularities during the National Assembly primaries.

The group accused the election committee of poor coordination, late arrival of election materials and favouritism towards certain candidates.

Similarly, APC stakeholders in Kwara State petitioned the national leadership of the party over the conduct of the House of Representatives primary election in the Ekiti/Oke-Ero/Isin/Irepodun Federal Constituency.

The stakeholders alleged that no voting exercise took place in some areas and accused local party leaders of releasing unauthorised election results.

In Plateau State, Plateau North Senatorial District aspirant and serving senator, Pam Dachungyang, rejected the APC senate primary, describing the process as a sham that failed to meet democratic standards.

According to him, party officials failed to appear in several areas where voting was expected to take place.

The crisis also spread to Kaduna State, where aggrieved aspirants staged protests across Kaduna metropolis over the outcome of the senatorial primaries.

The protesters alleged that the APC abandoned the approved direct primary system and instead adopted an unauthorised delegate arrangement.

The protest followed the emergence of Sunday Katung, former governor Ramalan Yero and Shehu Sani as winners of the APC senatorial tickets.

In Delta State, the Chairman of the APC National Assembly Primaries Appeal Committee, Chukwuemeka Ujam, confirmed that the panel had received five petitions from aggrieved party members challenging the conduct of the primaries.

Meanwhile, in Benue State, two aspirants challenged the victory of Blessing Onuh in the APC House of Representatives primary for Otukpo/Ohinmini Federal Constituency.

The aspirants alleged that election materials were hijacked and claimed the votes allocated to Onuh exceeded the number of registered party members in the constituency.

The growing wave of protests and petitions has further exposed deepening cracks within the APC as the ruling party prepares for the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

Published

on

A governorship aspirant in Plateau State, Commander Yilchin Jan Bida (rtd), has declared that he is fully committed to contesting the 2027 governorship race, insisting that he is “not in the race to fill numbers” but to win.

Yilchin Jan Bida made the statement while addressing journalists in Plateau State on Tuesday, where he reaffirmed his confidence in defeating incumbent Governor Caleb Mutfwang in a free and fair party primary.

SEE ALSO: Violence Rocks APC Primaries in Plateau, Officials Flee for Safety

Caleb Mutfwang is expected to seek re-election in the 2027 polls, setting the stage for what could become a heated internal party contest.

Bida said his ambition is backed by a structured development plan known as the “LIGHT Agenda,” which he described as a comprehensive blueprint aimed at transforming governance across security, infrastructure, education, and economic development.

Security and Infrastructure Focus

The aspirant said insecurity remains a major concern in Plateau State, arguing that poor rural road networks and limited telecommunications coverage have worsened response time during emergencies.

He pledged that, if elected, his administration would ensure full mobile network coverage across the state and expand rural road construction to improve access to remote communities.

Bold Development Promise
Bida also outlined an ambitious infrastructure plan, stating that his government would invest heavily in roads, bridges, and community development projects across all 17 local government areas of the state.

He estimated a projected spending of about N1 trillion over four years, with each local government expected to benefit from at least 40 kilometres of road construction.

Education and Human Capital

On education, Bida expressed concern over what he described as inadequate investment in human capital development, warning that it could affect the future competitiveness of Plateau youths.

He said his administration would prioritise education, healthcare, and youth empowerment while also supporting small businesses and local enterprise growth.

Political Outlook

Bida maintained that his participation in the race is driven by vision and preparation, not symbolism, adding that he is confident of victory in the party primary if conducted fairly.

The 2027 Plateau governorship race is gradually shaping into a competitive political contest as aspirants intensify consultations and policy declarations.

Continue Reading

Politics

Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

Published

on

There was a surprise development in the political landscape of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ogun State on Tuesday as a House of Assembly aspirant, Ademola Okeowo, withdrew from the race and declared support for the party’s consensus candidate.

Okeowo, who was vying to represent Ijebu North State Constituency I, announced his decision at the APC secretariat in Ijebu North, Ijebu Igbo, before party leaders, stakeholders, and supporters.

SEE MOREBenue APC Primary Turns Messy as Onoja’s Son Battles David Mark’s Daughter Over Victory

He said the move followed extensive consultations with party elders and leaders, stressing that it was taken in the interest of unity and discipline within the party.

According to him, although he had enjoyed strong grassroots support and encouragement from different communities, he decided to step down in line with the party’s consensus arrangement.

“I have decided to step down unconditionally in support of the party’s consensus candidate,” Okeowo stated, adding that his political structure would now be merged with that of the chosen candidate.

He called on his supporters, youth groups, women associations, and coordinators to fully mobilise for the success of the APC in the forthcoming elections.

The APC Vice Chairman in Ijebu North, Alhaji Adesegun Adenola, commended the decision, describing it as a move that strengthens internal unity within the party.

Adenola disclosed that out of about 14 initial aspirants, the number was reduced to four after internal screening, with two aspirants, including Okeowo, stepping down in support of the consensus candidate, Olatunbosun Ipaye.

He added that remaining contenders were also expected to align with the party’s decision ahead of the primaries.

The development highlights ongoing efforts by the APC to consolidate internal harmony and avoid division ahead of the next electoral cycle in Ogun State.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x