Connect with us

NEWS

Court Adjourns Sowore’s Arraignment To October 27

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja has postponed the arraignment of Omoyele Sowore, Sahara Reporters publisher and two-time presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), until October 27.

Justice Mohammed Umar said the adjournment was necessary to give Sowore sufficient time to prepare his defence.

Recall that Sowore is facing a five-count charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) on behalf of the Federal Government. X Incorp. (formerly Twitter) and Meta (Facebook) Inc. were listed as the second and third defendants in the case.

SEE ALSO: Sowore In Court Over Alleged Online Attacks On Tinubu

Sowore is accused of referring to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as “a criminal” on his X and Facebook accounts.

The charges, recorded under FHC/ABJ/CR/484/2025 and dated September 16, allege that the statements were false and intended to “cause a breakdown of law and order in the country, especially among individuals, who hold divergent views on the personality of the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR).”

When the matter was called on Tuesday, Sowore appeared in court alongside Meta’s legal team, while X had no representation. DSS counsel Mohammed Abubakar requested that the charge be read to the defendants so they could take their plea.

However, Sowore’s lawyer, Marshall Abubakar, opposed the request, arguing that the court bailiff had not yet served the charge on his client.

He further stated that in a criminal trial involving three defendants, the appearance of the second defendant, X, is crucial, saying that “X must be represented in court to ensure that all the defendants had been properly served.”

The court confirmed that X and Meta had been served electronically. Following submissions, the DSS lawyer requested that the charge be served on Sowore in open court, which Justice Umar allowed after it was not opposed by Sowore’s counsel and Mofesomo Tayo-Oyetibo, SAN, representing Meta.

Abubakar then sought an adjournment to give Sowore adequate time to prepare for his defence in accordance with Section 282(6) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015. Justice Umar adjourned the case until October 27 for arraignment.

According to NAN, the charges were filed shortly after the DSS had requested the alleged defamatory posts on Sowore’s Facebook and X handles be removed.

Count one of the charge alleges that on or about August 25, Sowore used his official X handle page, @YeleSowore, to send the following message:

“THIS CRIMINAL @ OFFICIAL PBAT ACTUALLY WENT TO BRAZIL TO STATE THAT THERE IS NO MORE CORRUPTION UNDER HIS REGIME IN NIGERIA. WHAT AUDACITY TO LIE SHAMELESSLY!”

The statement is said to have been made knowingly false and contrary to Section 24(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, among other counts.

10 Comments
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
droversointeru
6 months ago

Wow! Thank you! I always needed to write on my website something like that. Can I implement a portion of your post to my site?

live tennis streaming qatar

I’ll immediately snatch your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me realize in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

the brain song
6 months ago

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks

gelatin trick recipe
5 months ago

Some genuinely superb posts on this internet site, thankyou for contribution.

Watch Nascar Online
5 months ago

Well I really enjoyed reading it. This post provided by you is very useful for accurate planning.

rewriter for AI-generated copy

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks a lot

garudamuda
4 months ago

Nice post. I be taught something tougher on different blogs everyday. It’s going to all the time be stimulating to read content from different writers and practice slightly one thing from their store. I’d choose to make use of some with the content on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link in your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

bola24
4 months ago

What i do not understood is actually how you are now not actually a lot more smartly-appreciated than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You know thus significantly when it comes to this matter, made me personally believe it from so many various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated until it¦s something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding. At all times handle it up!

gestione della posta in Svizzera

Hi, just required you to know I he added your site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, I believe your internet site has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make reading your blog significantly easier.

NEWS

Outrage as Police Officer Who Threatened Nigerians Over Recording Breaks Silence

Published

on

A Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has sparked widespread reactions online after publicly apologising for threatening Nigerians who film police officers while on duty.

The officer came under heavy criticism after a viral video showed him warning that he would “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.

Following the backlash, Isokpehi released a video on Thursday pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu for forgiveness, saying his earlier comments were made out of anger and frustration.

SEE ALSO: Six Arrested as Police Expose Inside Network Behind Oyo School Abduction

“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening,” he said.

Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer clarified that he was not against citizens filming police officers, noting that Nigerians have the right to record security personnel while carrying out their duties.

“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he stated.

Isokpehi, who disclosed that he hails from Edo State and was raised in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who has spent over 12 years serving in the Mobile Police unit.

The officer also displayed several scars and gunshot wounds on his body, claiming they were sustained during dangerous operations while serving the country.

“Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation. We have suffered in this work,” he said emotionally.

Attempting to walk back his earlier remarks, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to harm civilians.

“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.

He further appealed directly to Gwamnishu and Nigerians, admitting that the controversy had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far,” he pleaded.

The apology has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians condemning the officer’s initial comments while others expressed sympathy over the harsh conditions faced by security personnel.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Cubana Chief Priest Explains Why He Dumped Peter Obi for Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Published

on

Nigerian socialite and businessman, Cubana Chief Priest, has explained why he shifted his political support from former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following the 2023 general elections.

Speaking during a livestream session with popular streamer Peller, the celebrity businessman said his decision was motivated by a desire to avoid repeated political disappointment.

SEE ALSO: Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

He stated that he no longer wanted to back a candidate who might lose, saying he made the switch after the last election experience.
“Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest also claimed that President Tinubu remains cautious about him due to his past political alignment with Peter Obi and his ethnic background.

According to him, the President does not fully trust him because of his previous support for the opposition during the 2023 polls.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” he added.

He further dismissed the chances of Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing him as “not serious” and insisting that only “serious people” would emerge victorious.

The comments have since generated widespread reactions on social media, with critics accusing him of political opportunism, while others argue that his position reflects the realities of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political system.

Cubana Chief Priest was a vocal supporter of Peter Obi and the Labour Party during the 2023 elections but later aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

He currently serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement and has become more active within APC circles.

He had also obtained an APC House of Representatives nomination form but later withdrew from the primary election on the day of the exercise.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Yobe Hospital Makes Medical History With First-Ever Lower Jaw Surgery

Published

on

The Yobe State Specialist Hospital has recorded a major medical breakthrough after successfully performing its first-ever lower jaw surgery, a development described as the first of its kind in North-Eastern Nigeria.

The complex procedure, known as a segmental mandibulectomy with reconstruction, was carried out on a 40-year-old female patient suffering from mandibular ameloblastoma, a tumour affecting the jawbone.

Speaking on the achievement, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Usman Abba Giedam, said the surgery marked a significant milestone in the state’s healthcare sector.

SEE MORE: Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency

According to him, the operation involved the removal of a diseased section of the patient’s lower jaw and a sophisticated reconstruction using reconstruction plates and an iliac crest bone graft.

The surgery was led by Dr. Muhammad Ayuba Fusami with support from Dr. Peter Umejiego.

Giedam revealed that the patient is currently recovering well and responding positively to treatment following the successful operation.

He noted that the achievement reflects the growing capacity of the hospital to handle highly specialized medical procedures that previously required referrals outside the state.

The CMD also credited the administration of Mai Mala Buni for investing in healthcare infrastructure, medical equipment, and skilled manpower development across the state.

He added that the hospital remains committed to advancing specialized healthcare services and improving access to quality medical care for residents of Yobe State and the North-East region.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

10
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x