Connect with us

NEWS

Ebonyi Residents Abandon Homes As Herdsmen Kill 16 In Brutal Attack

Published

on

Police Debunk Abakaliki Gunmen Invasion

Amegu Nkalaha, a community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, has been thrown into turmoil following a deadly attack by suspected armed herdsmen on Sunday.

The assault, which began in the morning, has left at least 16 people dead, several others missing, and dozens of homes and properties destroyed.

According to report on Monday, a mass exodus was underway as hundreds of residents, carrying their belongings, fled to neighboring communities.

READ MORE: Ganduje Identifies Four Categories Of Herdsmen Fueling Issues In Nigeria

The atmosphere was one of grief and devastation, with survivors gathering in clusters to mourn their loved ones.

The attack, which lasted for several hours, saw gunmen storming the community, killing residents and setting homes ablaze.

It was observed that at least 25 houses were completely burned, while another five were vandalized. Seven yam barns were also set on fire.

Among the victims were retired police officer James Ogbu, Alloy Nnaji (also known as Eze Nwata), assistant pastor Alfred Igwurube, and his principal pastor, Ibam. Other casualties included Simon Ogbuabor, Nnaji Nwa Omebe, Amos Ogbu, and several others.

Some of the bodies retrieved by families showed signs of gruesome execution.

“Some had their throats slit, while others suffered multiple gunshot wounds,” a resident recounted.

The attack has raised serious concerns about the role of security forces, as residents accused the military and police of failing to intervene despite prior warnings of an imminent attack. Some survivors even alleged that security agencies may have aided the attackers.

“They came on Saturday telling us that nobody should leave the community, only for attackers to strike on Sunday morning, killing 16 people and destroying everything,” a resident lamented.

Another survivor, Edeze, accused soldiers of intimidating residents and confiscating their phones to prevent them from recording evidence of the attack.

“Worse still, when they came, the soldiers seized the phones of our people who were making videos and threatened that if they see the videos of the carnage and pictures of the destruction, they will come back and destroy them,” he said.

“After they carried 10 corpses, including that of a retired policeman, the soldiers returned and handed back the phones they had seized,” Edeze added.

The response of the Ebonyi State government has drawn sharp criticism from residents, particularly the alleged stance of Deputy Governor Patricia Obila.

According to locals, rather than addressing the attack, she called for mass arrests in the community over claims that Fulani herdsmen’s cattle had been killed.

“Even the deputy governor of Ebonyi, Mrs. Patricia Obila, was the one telling the police that they should go for mass arrests in our community, accusing our people of killing cows belonging to the Fulani herdsmen. Till now, she hasn’t visited the community,” Edeze said.

Many residents decried what they see as a double standard in how the government reacts to crises.

“If a cow is reportedly killed in a community, is it not the duty of the security agencies to investigate and fish out the killer? Why would the entire community be collectively punished? After the police extortion for bail and payment for the cow, they will send Fulani militias to invade and slaughter the people who probably knew nothing, and the attackers would raze the community,” one resident lamented.

Mrs. Clementina Ogbu, who lost her home and belongings, described the terror of the invasion.

“On Sunday, we were preparing to go to church when suddenly, we started hearing gunshots. Some had already gone to church, while others were in their farms. The gunshots came from all directions.

“We were in a state of confusion and ran into the bushes to hide. Shortly after, we saw thick smoke rising into the sky—our homes, food barns, and clothing were completely burned,” she recounted.

“We slept in the bushes, and now we have no house, no food, nothing left to live on. My family hasn’t eaten anything since yesterday. We need help from anywhere,” she pleaded.

Elder Simon Idenyi also shared his frustration over the government’s failure to protect them.

“On February 1st, officials from the state government, along with the military and police, visited our community and told us that they had made peace with the Fulani herdsmen. They assured us that we should not leave our homes, that the government and security agencies would protect us,” he said.

“Regrettably, at about 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, strange faces—who we later understood were Fulani herdsmen—wielding AK-47 rifles and machetes surrounded the community and started killing people and burning houses. There was no security agent in sight while the carnage lasted. The attack went on until about 3:30 p.m., and no single security agent came until 5 p.m.,” he revealed.

The Ebonyi State Police Command confirmed the attack, stating that 10 bodies had been recovered so far. The command’s spokesperson, Joshua Ukandu, said investigations were ongoing.

“Several houses were also burned selectively in the area, and other properties destroyed. Upon receipt of the information, we drafted police operatives to the area. We are currently investigating the incident while normalcy has returned to the area,” Ukandu stated.

Despite this assurance, residents remain skeptical, fearing that justice may never be served. For now, Amegu Nkalaha stands as yet another community devastated by the growing wave of violence sweeping across parts of Nigeria.

Displaced residents are calling for immediate government intervention, demanding shelter, food, and security to prevent further bloodshed.

 

Click to comment
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

NEWS

Outrage as Police Officer Who Threatened Nigerians Over Recording Breaks Silence

Published

on

A Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has sparked widespread reactions online after publicly apologising for threatening Nigerians who film police officers while on duty.

The officer came under heavy criticism after a viral video showed him warning that he would “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.

Following the backlash, Isokpehi released a video on Thursday pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu for forgiveness, saying his earlier comments were made out of anger and frustration.

SEE ALSO: Six Arrested as Police Expose Inside Network Behind Oyo School Abduction

“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening,” he said.

Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer clarified that he was not against citizens filming police officers, noting that Nigerians have the right to record security personnel while carrying out their duties.

“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he stated.

Isokpehi, who disclosed that he hails from Edo State and was raised in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who has spent over 12 years serving in the Mobile Police unit.

The officer also displayed several scars and gunshot wounds on his body, claiming they were sustained during dangerous operations while serving the country.

“Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation. We have suffered in this work,” he said emotionally.

Attempting to walk back his earlier remarks, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to harm civilians.

“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.

He further appealed directly to Gwamnishu and Nigerians, admitting that the controversy had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far,” he pleaded.

The apology has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians condemning the officer’s initial comments while others expressed sympathy over the harsh conditions faced by security personnel.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Cubana Chief Priest Explains Why He Dumped Peter Obi for Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Published

on

Nigerian socialite and businessman, Cubana Chief Priest, has explained why he shifted his political support from former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following the 2023 general elections.

Speaking during a livestream session with popular streamer Peller, the celebrity businessman said his decision was motivated by a desire to avoid repeated political disappointment.

SEE ALSO: Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

He stated that he no longer wanted to back a candidate who might lose, saying he made the switch after the last election experience.
“Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest also claimed that President Tinubu remains cautious about him due to his past political alignment with Peter Obi and his ethnic background.

According to him, the President does not fully trust him because of his previous support for the opposition during the 2023 polls.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” he added.

He further dismissed the chances of Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing him as “not serious” and insisting that only “serious people” would emerge victorious.

The comments have since generated widespread reactions on social media, with critics accusing him of political opportunism, while others argue that his position reflects the realities of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political system.

Cubana Chief Priest was a vocal supporter of Peter Obi and the Labour Party during the 2023 elections but later aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

He currently serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement and has become more active within APC circles.

He had also obtained an APC House of Representatives nomination form but later withdrew from the primary election on the day of the exercise.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Yobe Hospital Makes Medical History With First-Ever Lower Jaw Surgery

Published

on

The Yobe State Specialist Hospital has recorded a major medical breakthrough after successfully performing its first-ever lower jaw surgery, a development described as the first of its kind in North-Eastern Nigeria.

The complex procedure, known as a segmental mandibulectomy with reconstruction, was carried out on a 40-year-old female patient suffering from mandibular ameloblastoma, a tumour affecting the jawbone.

Speaking on the achievement, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Usman Abba Giedam, said the surgery marked a significant milestone in the state’s healthcare sector.

SEE MORE: Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency

According to him, the operation involved the removal of a diseased section of the patient’s lower jaw and a sophisticated reconstruction using reconstruction plates and an iliac crest bone graft.

The surgery was led by Dr. Muhammad Ayuba Fusami with support from Dr. Peter Umejiego.

Giedam revealed that the patient is currently recovering well and responding positively to treatment following the successful operation.

He noted that the achievement reflects the growing capacity of the hospital to handle highly specialized medical procedures that previously required referrals outside the state.

The CMD also credited the administration of Mai Mala Buni for investing in healthcare infrastructure, medical equipment, and skilled manpower development across the state.

He added that the hospital remains committed to advancing specialized healthcare services and improving access to quality medical care for residents of Yobe State and the North-East region.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x