Connect with us

International News

Former Bangladesh PM, Hasina Faces Murder Charges

Published

on

A Bangladesh court has officially opened a murder investigation against ousted former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and six senior officials from her administration.

The above followed the police killing of a civilian during last month’s widespread unrest.

Sheikh Hasina, 76, fled to India by helicopter a week ago, where she remains in exile after massive protests swept through Dhaka, signaling the end of her decade-long, authoritarian rule.

The unrest, which culminated in her downfall, resulted in the deaths of over 450 people.

Related News: Bangladesh Prime Minister Resigns, Flees Amid Deadly Protests

The Dhaka Metropolitan Court has directed the police to initiate a criminal investigation against Hasina and the six others, according to Mamun Mia, the lawyer representing a private citizen who filed the case.

Among those named in the case are former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan and Obaidul Quader, the general secretary of Hasina’s Awami League party, along with four senior police officers who served under Hasina’s administration.

The charges stem from the fatal shooting of a grocery store owner on July 19 during a violent crackdown by police on demonstrators.

The case was brought forward by Amir Hamza Shatil, a local resident and a supporter of the victim.

It is worth noting that Hasina’s government faced serious allegations of widespread human rights violations, including the extrajudicial killing of thousands of political opponents.

Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, who returned from Europe three days after Hasina’s removal, has assumed leadership of a temporary administration tasked with implementing democratic reforms.

At 84, Yunus, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 for his groundbreaking work in microfinance, is credited with lifting millions of Bangladeshis out of poverty.

Yunus has assumed the role of “chief adviser” to the caretaker government, which consists entirely of civilians except for Home Minister Sakhawat Hossain, a retired brigadier general. He has announced plans to hold elections “within a few months.”

Hossain stated on Monday that there are no plans to ban Hasina’s Awami League, which played a crucial role in Bangladesh’s independence.

“The party has made many contributions to Bangladesh — we don’t deny this. When the election comes, (they should) contest the elections.”

International News

US Military Newspaper Chiefs Sacked Over Editorial Freedom Row

Published

on

The United States Department of Defense has fired the editor-in-chief, publisher and a reporter of a long-running military newspaper amid a growing dispute over editorial independence.

The newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Erik Slavin, told CBS News that he was dismissed for “insubordination” after speaking to the network about disagreements with the Department of Defense.

SEE ALSO: Iran’s Threat Pushes Brent Over $90

The department had earlier this year said it wanted to steer the publication’s coverage away from what it described as “woke distractions.”

The newspaper’s publisher, Max Lederer, who had served in the position since 2007, was also notified that he was being terminated. His dismissal came just three days after he announced plans to retire from the publication.

Reporter Lara Korte also confirmed that she had been fired for alleged insubordination.

“Today, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes — not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker,” Korte wrote on X.

The dismissals came only days after the newspaper published a report detailing grim conditions faced by crewmembers aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln.

The report triggered fresh criticism of President Donald Trump’s handling of the war with Iran. The aircraft carrier had been deployed before the conflict in the Middle East began in February.

Last weekend, the US military announced that a new carrier strike group had arrived in the region, while Trump said the Lincoln would be replaced.

Slavin had also drawn attention last month after publicly opposing what he described as attempts by the Department of Defense to interfere with the newspaper’s editorial decisions.

During an interview on “CBS Sunday Morning,” Slavin was asked whether there were any editorial red lines he would not cross.

“‘Don’t run a perfectly accurate story, run this instead. Here it is, written by the Pentagon.’ That would be a red line,” he said.

Lederer had announced his retirement on Tuesday, with his departure initially scheduled for September 30.

He said his decision followed fundamental differences between his leadership philosophy and the plans the Department of Defense had for the organisation.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth has faced criticism from sections of the media over his approach to journalism since taking charge of the department in 2025.

The independence of US military media outlets has increasingly come under scrutiny.

Shortly before Lederer announced his retirement, active-duty US Navy Captain William Urban was installed as military deputy to the publisher, a move interpreted by some, including Democratic lawmakers, as weakening the publication’s editorial independence.

Continue Reading

International News

Ferrari’s First Electric Car Makes History With Record $40m Auction Sale

Published

on

Ferrari’s first fully electric car, the Luce, has made automotive history after a bespoke version of the vehicle sold for a record $40 million at a charity auction in California.

The tailor-made Ferrari Luce “Chassis 0” was sold during Monterey Car Week on Saturday, becoming the most expensive new car ever sold at auction, according to collector car auction company RM Sotheby’s.

The winning bid was 36 times the car’s original estimate of $1.1 million.

SEE MORE: Police Arrest Man For Driving Fake Ferrari In Italy

Ferrari USA celebrated the landmark sale in an Instagram post, saying, “The bids kept climbing. Then, history was made,” while describing the transaction as a new record for the highest-priced new car ever sold at auction.

The sale comes months after Ferrari unveiled the Luce in May. The electric model features a distinctive bubble-like design that differs significantly from the Italian automaker’s traditional angular styling and has received mixed reactions from some Ferrari enthusiasts.

Ferrari previously described the Luce as “a different sort of Ferrari for a different sort of Ferrari client.”
The Luce is powered by four electric motors, with one motor driving each of its four wheels.

The exclusive “Chassis 0” features a pearl-like semi-gloss finish with a personalised pigment that produces changing reflections ranging from green to violet when struck by light.

Its interior is equally distinctive, featuring Perla Le Mans metallic leather and black design elements against a predominantly white background.

Ferrari said proceeds from the record-breaking auction will go to The Ferrari Foundation to support educational initiatives.

Following the auction, the vehicle will return to Maranello, northern Italy, where it was built, before being delivered to the unnamed winning bidder in the first quarter of 2027.

Meanwhile, deliveries of the regular Ferrari Luce, priced at about €550,000 ($640,000), are expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2026.

Continue Reading

International News

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Over Iran Deal

Published

on

US President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb Oman if the country obstructs efforts to reach a deal with Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump made the threat on Monday during an interview with Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, amid ongoing discussions between Oman and Iran concerning control and navigation through the strategic waterway.

SEE MORE: Trump Decrees Lower Petrol Prices

“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them,” Trump told Yingst, referring to the talks between Oman and Iran while the United States pursues its own discussions with Tehran.

Iranian and Omani officials have been negotiating for weeks over future maritime navigation arrangements through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s foreign ministry said on Monday that both sides were working towards a joint declaration.

The Strait of Hormuz has become a major flashpoint amid the ongoing Middle East conflict. Iran effectively restricted traffic through the waterway at the beginning of the war on February 28, while Trump has repeatedly insisted that the strategic route should be under US control.

On Friday, Trump said he could even declare the Strait of Hormuz part of US territory. Iran rejected the position, insisting that the crucial waterway would “remain Iranian.”

Before the outbreak of the US-Israeli war against Iran, the Strait of Hormuz was regarded as an open international waterway. The route is critical to global energy supplies and carries significant volumes of oil and other commodities.

Iran has used its control over the strait as leverage against US-led efforts to weaken its military capabilities and force Tehran to abandon its controversial nuclear programme.

Trump also called on Iran to surrender, saying Tehran should “put up the white flag of surrender.”

Despite the growing tensions and the political pressure surrounding the conflict ahead of the November midterm elections in the United States, Trump said he was not in a hurry to reach a deal.

He further disclosed that his administration maintains a direct back-channel with officials of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.

“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump was quoted as saying.

 

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x