Connect with us

Politics

PEPT: Court Admits Video Clips As Evidence In Peter Obi’s Petition

Published

on

 

The Presidential Election Petition Court has accepted two video clips presented by the Labour Party and its presidential candidate, Peter Obi, as evidence in their petition against the conduct and results of the presidential election held on February 25.

 

During the hearing on Friday evening, the petitioners’ lawyer, Jubril Okutekpa, SAN, informed the court that they had issued a subpoena to Channels Television to produce the recordings found on two flash drives.

 

During the proceedings, Okutekpa revealed that two separate subpoenas, dated May 30 and June 6, had been served on Channels Television stating that a representative from the TV station had been sent to present the requested evidence.

 

The five-member panel, headed by Justice Haruna Tsammani, accepted the subpoenas as evidence and designated them as Exhibits PBH-1 and PBH-2.

 

One of the flash drives contains video clips of an interview featuring the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmoud Yakubu, prior to the general elections assuring that the election results would be transmitted electronically in real-time.

 

The second flash drive consists of a press conference delivered by Festus Okoye, a national commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), where he reaffirmed the commission’s dedication to electronically transmitting the election results.

 

To present the video clips’ content in the courtroom, Lucky Obese-Alawode, a senior reporter and editor from Channels Television, was called to the witness box.

 

However, the respondents in the petition strongly opposed the petitioners’ action.

 

Akin Olujinmi, SAN, the counsel representing President Bola Tinubu, raised concerns about the competence of the witness, stating that his statement had not been filed alongside the initial petition.

 

Referring to Paragraphs 4 (5) and (6) of the First Schedule to the Electoral Act 2022, Tinubu’s lawyer argued that the law clearly stipulates that a petition must be filed within 21 days following the declaration of the election result.

 

He asserted that the petitioners should have included all the necessary documents and a list of witnesses supporting their case when filing the petition.

 

Tinubu lawyer said “A petition which fails to comply shall not be accepted, that is what the law says. My lords, it was after the proceeding started today that the statement of this witness was served on us.

 

“This is over three months after the declaration of the result of the election was made. This witness was not listed by the petitioners, and his statement was not attached to the petition. To that extent, he is not a competent witness who can testify before this court”

 

He further argued that the petitioners were well aware of their intention to rely on the aforementioned video recordings when they initially filed the petition, yet failed to include them in the list of their documents.

 

Supporting Olujinmi’s objection, Kemi Pinhero, SAN, the lawyer representing INEC, expressed agreement that Obi and the Labour Party should have listed the proposed evidence in their petition.

 

However, the petitioners’ counsel, Okutekpa, SAN, argued that the witness was indeed competent to testify as the subpoena served on Channels Television was a court order that he had no control over.

 

Despite the objections raised, the panel decided to admit the two flash drives as evidence and designated them as Exhibits PBH-3 and PBH-4.

 

Subsequently, when the petitioners’ counsel requested for the video clips from the flash drives to be played in the courtroom, the respondents expressed their disagreement, with the exception of the electoral commission, which remained indifferent.

 

Olujimi reiterated that his client had not been provided with a copy of the flash drive.

 

He further argued that playing the video clips without his clients being aware of their content could potentially deprive them of the right to a fair hearing.

 

He said, “This case is not hide and seek. We are entitled to be served with a copy so that we can know the content and be able to prepare. Until we are served, we will oppose allowing it to be played.

 

Solomon Umoh, SAN, the counsel representing the All Progressives Congress (APC), expressed his view that playing the content of the flash drives without prior service on the respondents would be an ambush on their part.

 

In his ruling, Justice Tsammani, the chairman of the five-member panel, stated that the respondents’ objection was not based on prejudice against playing the video clips, but rather on the lack of prior service.

 

However, due to time constraints, Justice Tsammani adjourned the proceedings to Saturday afternoon, June 10, to allow for the video clips to be played in the courtroom.

Politics

Fresh Crisis Hits APC as Senators, Aspirants Reject Primary Results Across 9 States

Published

on

Fresh crisis has erupted within the All Progressives Congress following widespread rejection of the party’s senatorial and National Assembly primary election results by aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders across nine states.

The controversy, which trailed the APC primaries conducted ahead of the 2027 general elections, has sparked protests, petitions and allegations of manipulation, imposition of candidates and violation of internal democratic processes in Ekiti, Ondo, Zamfara, Nasarawa, Kwara, Plateau, Kaduna, Delta and Benue states.

In Ekiti State, former senator Ayo Arise and fellow aspirant Dare Owolabi rejected the outcome of the APC senatorial primary in Ekiti North Senatorial District, where the incumbent senator, Cyril Fasuyi, was declared winner.

SEE MORE: Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

While the APC election committee announced that Fasuyi polled 14,179 votes to defeat his rivals, Arise insisted he won the election based on ward results in his possession.

He alleged that the process was disrupted in several wards after it became obvious he was leading.

Arise described the exercise as being riddled with irregularities, intimidation and fraud, vowing to challenge the outcome before the national leadership of the party.

Owolabi also faulted the exercise, alleging that supporters were harassed and chased away from voting venues across several wards.

However, Fasuyi dismissed the allegations and maintained that the primary election was conducted in line with APC guidelines.

In Ondo State, former deputy governor and senatorial aspirant, Agboola Ajayi, also rejected the outcome of the Ondo South senatorial primary, describing the announced results as fake.

Ajayi’s campaign organisation claimed the figures declared by the senatorial collation officer did not reflect the actual results collated by its agents across the wards.

In Zamfara State, several aspirants criticised the adoption of consensus arrangements by party leaders instead of direct primaries.

Former governor and Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, had announced that consensus candidates had emerged across the state following agreements among aspirants.

But aspirants including Tijjani Kaura, Dr Sani Shinkafi and Hajiya Lubuna Gusau denied participating in any consensus arrangement and accused party leaders of attempting to impose candidates.

Shinkafi further accused party leaders of misleading President Bola Tinubu by claiming he directed aspirants to step down for incumbent lawmakers.

In Nasarawa State, APC members under the platform of Concerned APC Members staged a peaceful protest over alleged irregularities during the National Assembly primaries.

The group accused the election committee of poor coordination, late arrival of election materials and favouritism towards certain candidates.

Similarly, APC stakeholders in Kwara State petitioned the national leadership of the party over the conduct of the House of Representatives primary election in the Ekiti/Oke-Ero/Isin/Irepodun Federal Constituency.

The stakeholders alleged that no voting exercise took place in some areas and accused local party leaders of releasing unauthorised election results.

In Plateau State, Plateau North Senatorial District aspirant and serving senator, Pam Dachungyang, rejected the APC senate primary, describing the process as a sham that failed to meet democratic standards.

According to him, party officials failed to appear in several areas where voting was expected to take place.

The crisis also spread to Kaduna State, where aggrieved aspirants staged protests across Kaduna metropolis over the outcome of the senatorial primaries.

The protesters alleged that the APC abandoned the approved direct primary system and instead adopted an unauthorised delegate arrangement.

The protest followed the emergence of Sunday Katung, former governor Ramalan Yero and Shehu Sani as winners of the APC senatorial tickets.

In Delta State, the Chairman of the APC National Assembly Primaries Appeal Committee, Chukwuemeka Ujam, confirmed that the panel had received five petitions from aggrieved party members challenging the conduct of the primaries.

Meanwhile, in Benue State, two aspirants challenged the victory of Blessing Onuh in the APC House of Representatives primary for Otukpo/Ohinmini Federal Constituency.

The aspirants alleged that election materials were hijacked and claimed the votes allocated to Onuh exceeded the number of registered party members in the constituency.

The growing wave of protests and petitions has further exposed deepening cracks within the APC as the ruling party prepares for the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

Published

on

A governorship aspirant in Plateau State, Commander Yilchin Jan Bida (rtd), has declared that he is fully committed to contesting the 2027 governorship race, insisting that he is “not in the race to fill numbers” but to win.

Yilchin Jan Bida made the statement while addressing journalists in Plateau State on Tuesday, where he reaffirmed his confidence in defeating incumbent Governor Caleb Mutfwang in a free and fair party primary.

SEE ALSO: Violence Rocks APC Primaries in Plateau, Officials Flee for Safety

Caleb Mutfwang is expected to seek re-election in the 2027 polls, setting the stage for what could become a heated internal party contest.

Bida said his ambition is backed by a structured development plan known as the “LIGHT Agenda,” which he described as a comprehensive blueprint aimed at transforming governance across security, infrastructure, education, and economic development.

Security and Infrastructure Focus

The aspirant said insecurity remains a major concern in Plateau State, arguing that poor rural road networks and limited telecommunications coverage have worsened response time during emergencies.

He pledged that, if elected, his administration would ensure full mobile network coverage across the state and expand rural road construction to improve access to remote communities.

Bold Development Promise
Bida also outlined an ambitious infrastructure plan, stating that his government would invest heavily in roads, bridges, and community development projects across all 17 local government areas of the state.

He estimated a projected spending of about N1 trillion over four years, with each local government expected to benefit from at least 40 kilometres of road construction.

Education and Human Capital

On education, Bida expressed concern over what he described as inadequate investment in human capital development, warning that it could affect the future competitiveness of Plateau youths.

He said his administration would prioritise education, healthcare, and youth empowerment while also supporting small businesses and local enterprise growth.

Political Outlook

Bida maintained that his participation in the race is driven by vision and preparation, not symbolism, adding that he is confident of victory in the party primary if conducted fairly.

The 2027 Plateau governorship race is gradually shaping into a competitive political contest as aspirants intensify consultations and policy declarations.

Continue Reading

Politics

Shock in Ogun APC as Aspirant Withdraws, Declares Support for Party Choice

Published

on

There was a surprise development in the political landscape of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ogun State on Tuesday as a House of Assembly aspirant, Ademola Okeowo, withdrew from the race and declared support for the party’s consensus candidate.

Okeowo, who was vying to represent Ijebu North State Constituency I, announced his decision at the APC secretariat in Ijebu North, Ijebu Igbo, before party leaders, stakeholders, and supporters.

SEE MOREBenue APC Primary Turns Messy as Onoja’s Son Battles David Mark’s Daughter Over Victory

He said the move followed extensive consultations with party elders and leaders, stressing that it was taken in the interest of unity and discipline within the party.

According to him, although he had enjoyed strong grassroots support and encouragement from different communities, he decided to step down in line with the party’s consensus arrangement.

“I have decided to step down unconditionally in support of the party’s consensus candidate,” Okeowo stated, adding that his political structure would now be merged with that of the chosen candidate.

He called on his supporters, youth groups, women associations, and coordinators to fully mobilise for the success of the APC in the forthcoming elections.

The APC Vice Chairman in Ijebu North, Alhaji Adesegun Adenola, commended the decision, describing it as a move that strengthens internal unity within the party.

Adenola disclosed that out of about 14 initial aspirants, the number was reduced to four after internal screening, with two aspirants, including Okeowo, stepping down in support of the consensus candidate, Olatunbosun Ipaye.

He added that remaining contenders were also expected to align with the party’s decision ahead of the primaries.

The development highlights ongoing efforts by the APC to consolidate internal harmony and avoid division ahead of the next electoral cycle in Ogun State.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x