Connect with us

NEWS

Tinubu Proposes Two-State Solution To Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Published

on

 

Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu, on Monday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, called for an end to Israeli aggression in Gaza, warning that “the conflict in Palestine has persisted for far too long, inflicting immeasurable suffering.”

This was revealed in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President (Information & Strategy), Bayo Onanuga.

Biztellers reports that President Tinubu was addressing the extraordinary Arab-Islamic Summit, convened with a view to resolving the current situation in the Middle East.

He expressed deep concern about the humanitarian conditions in Gaza.

ALSO READ: Trump Presidency An Opportunity For African Leaders, Says Yemi Adeoye

The one-day summit was a follow-up to the Riyadh summit last year and was attended by Heads of State and Government of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the League of Arab States.

Reiterating Nigeria’s call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, President Tinubu affirmed the country’s support for a two-state solution where both Israelis and Palestinians can coexist in security and dignity.

He noted that this solution remained a viable part to lasting peace in the region.

”The conflict in Palestine has persisted for far too long, inflicting immeasurable suffering on countless lives.

”As representatives of nations that value justice, dignity, and the sanctity of human life, we have a moral obligation to collectively bring about an immediate end to this conflict.

”It is not enough to issue empty condemnations. The world must work towards an end to Israeli aggression in Gaza, which has persisted for far too long.

“No political aim, no military strategy, and no security concern should come at the expense of so many innocent lives,” he said.

The Nigerian leader called on parties in the conflict in the Middle East to respect the principles of proportionality and the basic rights of civilians, consistent with global legal and diplomatic frameworks.

”In a rules-based international order, States have the right of self-defence. But self defence must take proportionality into account, in line with global legal, diplomatic – and moral – frameworks.

”An entire civilian population, their dreams and futures, cannot be dismissed as collateral,” he said.

Explaining Nigeria’s principled and consistent stance on the two-state solution, President Tinubu noted that it stands as a beacon of hope, representing the rights of both Israelis and Palestinians to self-determination and peace.

”It is not just a diplomatic article of faith; it is a vision grounded in the principles of equality and mutual recognition.

”Achieving this vision requires a commitment to dialogue and respect for history. We all know this conflict did not begin on October 7 in 2023. It can only be resolved through principled compromise, based on appreciation of the proper context.

”This conflict, in the cradle of history, is so visceral that the ripples of division spread far and quickly. The corrosive impact of the images of endless violence, repeated on a billion smart phones around the world is huge. We need to find new pathways to peace, without delay,” he said.

The Nigerian leader commended King Salman of Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for convening the summit, describing it as a vital opportunity to renew diplomatic efforts and work toward a sustainable peace.

He assured that Nigeria, given its own experiences, would continue to support international efforts that advance peace and stability in the Middle East.

”Our own experiences, domestically and regionally, have taught us that identity politics are no substitute for respecting the nuances of diversity,” he said.

According to President Tinubu ”the path to reconciliation may be fraught with challenges, but it is through honest conversation that we can foster understanding.

”The international community has the opportunity to bring to bear new thinking on this most relentless challenge.

”It is our duty to engage in this dialogue with sincerity and resolve, recognising the complexities that each side faces.”

President Tinubu called for the establishment of a secretariat to implement the resolutions of the Summit.

He urged the leaders to mandate a select group of Heads of Government to canvass support globally and oversee the implementation of the Summit resolutions. These heads would provide regular reports to a joint OIC and Arab League leadership until permanent peace is achieved in the Middle East.

In his opening remarks, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman condemned Israeli actions in Gaza and Lebanon, including the targeting of civilians and the continued violation of the Al-Aqsa mosque.

He also condemned the Israeli ban on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) from delivering relief aid to Palestinians and the displacement of Lebanese people.

He emphasised the importance of preserving Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

The Crown Prince highlighted Saudi Arabia’s role in promoting Palestinian statehood based on the 1967 borders, mentioning international recognition and the establishment of a Global Coalition with the European Union and Norway.

President Tinubu urged more states to join the Global Coalition.

NEWS

Outrage as Police Officer Who Threatened Nigerians Over Recording Breaks Silence

Published

on

A Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has sparked widespread reactions online after publicly apologising for threatening Nigerians who film police officers while on duty.

The officer came under heavy criticism after a viral video showed him warning that he would “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.

Following the backlash, Isokpehi released a video on Thursday pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu for forgiveness, saying his earlier comments were made out of anger and frustration.

SEE ALSO: Six Arrested as Police Expose Inside Network Behind Oyo School Abduction

“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening,” he said.

Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer clarified that he was not against citizens filming police officers, noting that Nigerians have the right to record security personnel while carrying out their duties.

“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he stated.

Isokpehi, who disclosed that he hails from Edo State and was raised in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who has spent over 12 years serving in the Mobile Police unit.

The officer also displayed several scars and gunshot wounds on his body, claiming they were sustained during dangerous operations while serving the country.

“Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation. We have suffered in this work,” he said emotionally.

Attempting to walk back his earlier remarks, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to harm civilians.

“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.

He further appealed directly to Gwamnishu and Nigerians, admitting that the controversy had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far,” he pleaded.

The apology has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians condemning the officer’s initial comments while others expressed sympathy over the harsh conditions faced by security personnel.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Cubana Chief Priest Explains Why He Dumped Peter Obi for Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Published

on

Nigerian socialite and businessman, Cubana Chief Priest, has explained why he shifted his political support from former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following the 2023 general elections.

Speaking during a livestream session with popular streamer Peller, the celebrity businessman said his decision was motivated by a desire to avoid repeated political disappointment.

SEE ALSO: Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang

He stated that he no longer wanted to back a candidate who might lose, saying he made the switch after the last election experience.
“Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool,” he said.

Cubana Chief Priest also claimed that President Tinubu remains cautious about him due to his past political alignment with Peter Obi and his ethnic background.

According to him, the President does not fully trust him because of his previous support for the opposition during the 2023 polls.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” he added.

He further dismissed the chances of Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing him as “not serious” and insisting that only “serious people” would emerge victorious.

The comments have since generated widespread reactions on social media, with critics accusing him of political opportunism, while others argue that his position reflects the realities of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political system.

Cubana Chief Priest was a vocal supporter of Peter Obi and the Labour Party during the 2023 elections but later aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

He currently serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement and has become more active within APC circles.

He had also obtained an APC House of Representatives nomination form but later withdrew from the primary election on the day of the exercise.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Yobe Hospital Makes Medical History With First-Ever Lower Jaw Surgery

Published

on

The Yobe State Specialist Hospital has recorded a major medical breakthrough after successfully performing its first-ever lower jaw surgery, a development described as the first of its kind in North-Eastern Nigeria.

The complex procedure, known as a segmental mandibulectomy with reconstruction, was carried out on a 40-year-old female patient suffering from mandibular ameloblastoma, a tumour affecting the jawbone.

Speaking on the achievement, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Usman Abba Giedam, said the surgery marked a significant milestone in the state’s healthcare sector.

SEE MORE: Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency

According to him, the operation involved the removal of a diseased section of the patient’s lower jaw and a sophisticated reconstruction using reconstruction plates and an iliac crest bone graft.

The surgery was led by Dr. Muhammad Ayuba Fusami with support from Dr. Peter Umejiego.

Giedam revealed that the patient is currently recovering well and responding positively to treatment following the successful operation.

He noted that the achievement reflects the growing capacity of the hospital to handle highly specialized medical procedures that previously required referrals outside the state.

The CMD also credited the administration of Mai Mala Buni for investing in healthcare infrastructure, medical equipment, and skilled manpower development across the state.

He added that the hospital remains committed to advancing specialized healthcare services and improving access to quality medical care for residents of Yobe State and the North-East region.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x