Connect with us

Other News

World Cup 2026 Tickets Spark Backlash As Prices Soar 41 Times Face Value

Published

on

Ticket prices for the 2026 FIFA World Cup have triggered widespread backlash after seats for key matches were listed at more than 40 times their original value on FIFA’s official resale platform.

The controversy intensified after a Category Three ticket for the World Cup final scheduled for July 19 at East Rutherford, New Jersey, was advertised for a staggering $143,750.

The same ticket originally cost $3,450 — representing an increase of over 41 times its face value.

ALSO READ: Washington Hosts Historic 48-Team World Cup Draw With Trump Leading Event

Similarly, a Category Three seat for the tournament’s opening match between Mexico and South Africa at the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City on June 11 was listed for $5,324, compared to its initial price of $895.

The surge in resale prices comes just weeks after the main ticket sales phase concluded in January, with many successful applicants only recently receiving confirmation of their allocations.

Although FIFA President Gianni Infantino had previously cautioned that tickets resold on secondary markets could attract exorbitant prices, critics say the governing body’s own resale platform is now reflecting the very concerns it warned about.

Supporters’ groups have expressed frustration over what they describe as the commercialization of access to the world’s biggest football tournament.

Guillaume Aupretre, spokesperson for the France national team supporters group “Irresistibles Francais,” said the inflated prices were disappointing but not surprising.

“These exorbitant prices unfortunately don’t surprise me. It reflects what we know and what we fight against: many people buy to resell,” he said, adding that genuine fans are the ones most affected.

Despite the backlash, demand remains extraordinarily high.

FIFA disclosed that it received approximately 500 million ticket requests for the 2026 tournament, underscoring the global excitement surrounding the expanded 48-team competition to be hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

FIFA has clarified that it operates the resale platform as a facilitator, charging a 15 percent fee, while sellers are responsible for setting ticket prices.

The organization stated that its pricing approach reflects market practices for major sporting and entertainment events in the host countries.

Resale regulations differ across the three host nations.

While the secondary market is largely unregulated in the United States and Canada, Mexico prohibits the resale of tickets above face value when purchased locally in Mexican currency.

Fan advocacy groups, including Football Supporters Europe, have accused FIFA of a “monumental betrayal” over ticket affordability. Although FIFA introduced a limited number of $60 tickets for official supporters’ groups, critics argue the measure is insufficient to ensure broad access for ordinary fans.

Applicants have been notified since February 5 about their success in the second ticket sales phase. A final “last-minute” sales window will open in April and continue until the end of the tournament on a first-come, first-served basis.

 

Other News

Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency

Published

on

Former Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, has formally declared his intention to contest the 2027 governorship election in Yobe State, promising to tackle insecurity and rebuild the state’s economy.
In a statement released Tuesday following a consultation meeting in the state, the retired police chief said his ambition is driven by a desire to restore peace, strengthen institutions, and accelerate development across all sectors.
Alkali pledged to “wipe out insurgency” and revive economic activities disrupted by years of insecurity, noting that his administration would prioritise intelligence-driven security and community partnerships.
“My vision for Yobe State is clear. I want a state where security is strengthened through intelligence and community partnership. I want a state where farmers can return to their farms with confidence, traders can move freely, and children can go to school without fear,” he said.
The former police boss emphasised his experience in national security management, stating that his years in public service have equipped him with the discipline and strategic thinking needed to govern effectively.
According to him, Yobe State requires leadership that understands security, institutional coordination, and human development, adding that insecurity has significantly hindered growth and deepened poverty in the region.
He also outlined plans to boost agriculture, expand infrastructure, and invest in education and youth empowerment. Alkali promised to provide microcredit support for women and equip young people with technical skills and startup kits to drive commerce and industry.
On healthcare, he pledged to combat child-killer diseases, including polio, and introduce free maternal healthcare services, as well as free medical care for children aged zero to five.
“Mothers will not die during childbirth, and children will live and thrive. They will go to school and graduate in a safe and secure environment,” he assured.
Alkali further stated that his administration would focus on inclusive governance, ensuring development reaches all local government areas without discrimination.
While expressing readiness to build on the achievements of the current administration, he maintained that governance must go beyond rhetoric and propaganda, stressing that it requires “vision, action, and the courage to make tough decisions.”

Continue Reading

Other News

Bayern Won’t Sell Olise Even for €200m — Rummenigge Drops Bombshell

Published

on

Bayern Munich have made a strong statement over the future of winger Michael Olise, with Vice-President Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insisting the club would reject even a €200 million offer for the player.

The comments, reported by transfer expert Fabrizio Romano on Monday, highlight Bayern’s long-standing policy of prioritising sporting stability over financial gain.

SEE ALSO: BREAKING: Chelsea Hit With £10.75m Fine, Transfer Ban

Rummenigge explained that the club’s position is rooted in a historic decision made in 2009, when Bayern received a massive bid from Chelsea for Franck Ribéry.

After internal discussions involving then CFO Karl Hopfner and former president Uli Hoeneß, the club chose to reject the offer — a decision that shaped its modern transfer philosophy.

According to him, that principle remains unchanged today.

He stressed that Bayern do not consider selling players who are essential to the team, adding that even a record-breaking €200 million bid would not change their stance on Olise.

The statement is expected to fuel further transfer speculation across Europe, but Bayern officials maintain that Olise is a key part of their long-term sporting project and not for sale.

Bayern Munich continue to uphold their “untouchable players” policy, while Michael Olise remains central to their squad plans.

Continue Reading

Other News

AFCON 2025 Drama: Morocco Defends CAF Ruling Amid Growing Controversy

Published

on

The Fédération Royale Marocaine de Football (FRMF) has defended its position following the controversial ruling by the Confederation of African Football Appeal Board over the disputed 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Moroccan football authority said its appeal was strictly aimed at ensuring the proper application of competition rules, and not to question the sporting merit or performance of any team involved in the final.

The federation emphasized its commitment to fairness, transparency, and the stability of African football competitions, noting that its actions were guided by respect for established regulations.

ALSO READ: JUST IN: Senegal Stuns Hosts Morocco To Lift AFCON 2025 Trophy

“The Federation reiterates that its approach has always been grounded in respect for the rules and stability of African competitions,” the statement read.

FRMF also praised all participating nations in the tournament, describing the 2025 AFCON as a significant milestone in the growth and development of football across the continent.

However, the body revealed that a more detailed position would be made public after a scheduled meeting of its governing organs.

The statement is expected to further clarify Morocco’s stance and outline any possible legal or administrative steps moving forward.

The CAF Appeal Board’s decision has continued to generate widespread reactions among football stakeholders, with growing calls for clearer regulations, improved transparency, and consistency in the administration of African football.

 

 

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x