NEWS
Deep Blue Project: House Committee On Navy Commends NIMASA Transparency.
The Chairman House Committee on the Nigerian Navy Honorable Yusuf Gagdi has commended the Management of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, for its commitment to transparency in its execution of the Integrated National Security and Waterways Protection Infrastructure also known as the Deep Blue Project.
This commendation was made today when the Agency’s Management appeared before the House Committee on Navy currently investigating the Deep Blue Contract awarded to the HLS International Limited by Nigeria.

R-L: Director General, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Dr. Bashir Jamoh; Coordinator, Abuja Zonal Office NIMASA, Zailani Attah and Deputy Director, Abuja Zonal Office NIMASA, Rakiya Lamai during an investigative hearing with the House of Representatives Committee on Navy at the National Assembly Complex, Abuja
“We in the Committee of the Navy commend your Management team at NIMASA for providing all documents we have requested for. It shows that you have nothing to hide”. Our desire is to ensure public funds are spent not only in public interest but in accordance with the provisions of the laws of the land”. He said.
A member of the Committee Honorable Alao Ajala expressed delight at the fact that Nigeria has exited the global Piracy list. His position was re-echoed by most members of the Committee who also acknowledged the role the Nigerian Navy is playing in securing the nation’s territorial waters.
In his presentation to the Committee, the Director General of NIMASA Dr Bashir Jamoh, said that the Agency acted in line with approval from the Federal Executive Council for the Agency to fund the Deep Blue Project at the cost of $195 million dollars with a management fee of 10%, adding that the funds invested in managing the assets since their deployment is appropriated for by the National Assembly.
He also disclosed that the Korean Government has identified with the Deep Blue Project “The Korean Government is delighted at the concept of the Deep Blue Project and has promised to support Nigeria by donating a vessel to increase itsfleet under the project. The government of Japan has also joined by pledging support via funds”.
Dr Jamoh listed assets acquired by NIMASA for the project to include 17 Fast Intervention Vessels, 2 Special Mission Vessels, 2 Special Mission Aircrafts, 3 Special Mission Helicopters 4 unmanned aerial vessels and 16 armored vehicles. The project also has a command and control center known as the C4i Center located in a NIMASA facility in Lagos which is jointly manned by officials from all the arms of the Nigerian Armed Forces, NIMASA staff and other para military Agencies who are part of the project.
The assets are properties of the Agency manned and operated by the various Military arms of government to enhance security of commercial shipping in the Nigerian maritime domain
In a related development, the Honorable Minister of Transportation, Hon Rotimi Amaechi has disclosed that Nigeria has received an international recognition in form of an award from the African Union for the concept of the Deep Blue Project.
Speaking on Tuesday, at the investigative hearing on the Deep Blue Project Contract to HLS International Limited, by the House of Representatives Committee on Navy, the Honorable Minister of Transportation, said necessary approvals were secured before the implementation of the Deep Blue Project.
He said, “I was to be in Nairobi last week as, the African Union gave us award for the Deep Blue Project. Presently, the crime rate on our waters and the Gulf of Guinea region has gone down. Before now, we ranked number one in the world, but, since the deployment of the HLSI project, piracy has gone down drastically.”
NEWS
FAAN Clears Air on Bolt, Uber Suspension, Says Services Will Resume
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria has clarified its decision to suspend the commercial operations of ride-hailing platforms Bolt and Uber at airports under its management, saying the services will resume once their licence agreements are finalised.
FAAN said the suspension was driven by safety, security and operational concerns and was not intended to prevent passengers from accessing convenient transportation options.
The clarification followed public reactions to an internal memo dated July 30, 2026, and signed by the General Manager, Commercial Services, U.R. Liman.
SEE MORE: FAAN Bans Cash Payments At Airports Nationwide
The memo directed Regional General Managers and Airport Managers to ensure that Bolt and Uber ceased commercial operations at all FAAN-managed airports pending the finalisation and execution of their licence agreements.
The memo read: “Please be informed that pending the finalisation and execution of the License Agreement with Bolt and Uber, the authority has directed Messrs Bolt and Messrs Uber to cease all commercial operations at all FAAN-managed airports immediately. Consequently, you are to ensure that all operations of both Bolt and Uber are suspended until their License Agreements have been finalised and concluded.”
However, FAAN, in a statement issued in response to the public outcry, said its position was not aimed at limiting passengers’ access to transportation services.
“FAAN wishes to clarify that its position is not, and has never been, directed at limiting passengers’ access to transportation options or undermining the important role that e-hailing services play in providing convenient mobility to air travellers,” the authority said.
FAAN explained that airports were highly regulated environments and that commercial transportation providers operating within airport premises were required to operate under an appropriate framework that would provide adequate visibility over their vehicles and drivers.
The authority said this was necessary to ensure that transportation providers were identifiable, accountable and properly integrated into the airport’s operational and security framework.
FAAN also clarified that its ACHRAMS platform was not an e-hailing application and was not designed to compete with Uber, Bolt or other ride-hailing platforms.
“ACHRAMS is not an e-hailing application and is not intended to compete with or replicate the services provided by Uber, Bolt or any other e-hailing platform,” it stated.
According to FAAN, it had received complaints and observed operational challenges linked to commercial transportation activities within and around airport premises, including passenger solicitation and touting.
The authority said it had therefore been engaging Bolt and Uber to establish a workable operational framework that would address safety, security, accountability and passenger-experience concerns while allowing the platforms to continue serving travellers.
“The current situation should therefore not be misconstrued as FAAN declaring a blanket prohibition on e-hailing services,” FAAN said.
The authority added that it recognised the convenience and additional transportation choices provided by Bolt and Uber and appreciated concerns from passengers who might experience inconvenience while the issues were being resolved.
FAAN said it was keen to conclude the discussions with the affected operators expeditiously.
“The authority and the affected operators are currently engaged in constructive discussions towards resolving the outstanding issues, particularly those relating to passenger safety and security, operational visibility, accountability and the appropriate management of pick-up activities within the airport environment.”
NEWS
Adeleke Campaign Spokesman Makes U-Turn, Withdraws Remarks Against Okpebholo
The spokesperson for the Ademola Adeleke Governorship Campaign Council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has withdrawn remarks he made against Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, over the governor’s conduct during the Osun State governorship election campaign.
Olajengbesi, in a statement on Thursday, said he was withdrawing comments that may have appeared disrespectful to Okpebholo, who was in Osun State campaigning for the All Progressives Congress during the August 15 governorship election.
ALSO READ: Why Adeleke Defeated APC in Osun, Wike Explains
“I personally withdraw my earlier remarks that may have appeared disrespectful to the Governor of Edo State, His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo,” he said.
The withdrawal followed a series of exchanges involving Okpebholo and supporters of Adeleke during and after the election.
The controversy followed comments by Okpebholo mocking Adeleke’s dancing during an APC campaign rally in Osun.
The Edo governor had questioned whether voters were tired of Adeleke’s dancing, saying the governor danced before signing documents, before breakfast and before drinking tea.
Reacting to the development, Olajengbesi said although he considered Okpebholo’s conduct during the campaign uncharitable, the election was over and political disagreements should not undermine respect for public institutions.
“Governor Monday Okpebholo was in Osun State for the election and, in my view, conducted himself in a very uncharitable manner. But the election is now over,” he said.
Olajengbesi also advised the Edo governor to communicate more through his media aides and reduce the activities of what he described as “two overzealous cheerleaders” around him.
He noted that several prominent Nigerians and APC members participated in the Osun election campaign without publicly disrespecting Adeleke or diminishing the dignity of his office.
“I therefore withdraw any statement that may have appeared unduly insulting or disrespectful. Political disagreements should never prevent us from respecting public institutions and the offices people occupy,” he said.
The development comes amid continued political exchanges following the Osun governorship election, which Adeleke won to secure a second term in office.
Olajengbesi, however, urged residents of Edo State to continue holding Okpebholo accountable, saying such scrutiny remained part of citizens’ responsibility in a democracy.
“I equally encourage the good people of Edo State to continue to hold their Governor accountable. That is the responsibility of citizens in every democracy,” he added.
The statement came days after singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, rejected calls for him to apologise to Okpebholo over an Instagram post concerning the governor’s academic credentials.
NEWS
FG, NADDC Empower NYSC Members in South-East with CNG Conversion Skills
The Federal Government has commenced a Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicle retrofitting training programme for members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in the South-East zone.
The programme, organised under the NYSC Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) initiative in collaboration with the National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC), was flagged off in Enugu on Tuesday.
Earlier, similar training had taken place last week in Abuja and in Lagos on Monday, where corps members were empowered through the training programme.
The training is designed to equip corps members with practical skills in CNG vehicle conversion and create opportunities for them to become self-reliant after their service year.
Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Youth Initiatives, Dr Titi Gbadamosi making her speech in Enugu during the training.
READ ALSO: Shell Reinforces Safety Commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
Speaking at the flag-off ceremony, the Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Youth Initiatives, Dr Titi Gbadamosi, said the initiative was part of the Federal Government’s efforts to prepare young Nigerians for the opportunities emerging from the country’s transition to alternative energy.
Gbadamosi described the NYSC programme as a critical transition between formal education and the wider world, stressing that the government had a responsibility to ensure that corps members were equipped with relevant skills before completing their service.
“It gives me pleasure to be among you today. The Enugu State camp is one of the most coordinated camps I have visited.
“The NYSC is a transition phase between school and the real world. It is our duty to make sure that the transition is not just smooth but perfect. That is why we keep improving on the SAED programme,” she said.
She urged the beneficiaries to take the training seriously, saying the CNG sector offered significant employment opportunities for young Nigerians.
According to her, following the removal of the fuel subsidy, President Tinubu decided to encourage the use of Nigeria’s abundant natural gas resources as an alternative fuel source.
She said the Federal Government had set a target of converting 100,000 vehicles to CNG annually, adding that the target would create opportunities for trained technicians and entrepreneurs in the sector.
Representative of the Director-General of NADDC, Otunba Oluwemimo Joseph Osanipin and Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations, NADDC, Ikechukwu Okoha making a speech during the training in Enugu on Tuesday.
“That is why we thought that we should also introduce CNG conversion into the SAED programme. These young Nigerians were selected from different fields of engineering.
“If you take this seriously, you are the future of the energy space in Nigeria. Your training will continue all year long so that, as you end your service, you will be a certified CNG converter,” Gbadamosi said.
She added that the initiative reflected the President’s commitment to empowering young Nigerians with practical skills that could translate into sustainable livelihoods.
Representing the Director-General of the NADDC, Otunba Oluwemimo Joseph Osanipin, at the event, Ikechukwu Okoha, Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations, said the Council was fully committed to the success of the programme.





