NEWS
NNPC Refineries will Never Work Again – Obasanjo
As the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited continues its search for technical partners to operate the Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna refineries, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has once again insisted that the facilities will never work.
Obasanjo spoke during a television interview aired on Saturday night by Sony Irabor Live, which was monitored by our correspondent.
He said, “One of the lessons that I learnt is that PPP (public-private partnership) works. Look, one project that has not been destroyed by the government in Nigeria is the NLNG (Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas), where the private sector has 51 per cent, and the Nigerian government has 49 per cent.
“See what we did with Nigerian railways. See what we did with the national shipping company. See what we are doing now, even with the NNPC. The NNPC has refineries, and I said to people that it will never work. And a man had the audacity to say, ‘Am I a chemical engineer?”
Obasanjo spoke about his failed efforts to woo Shell, a global energy firm, into running the refineries. “Look, when I was there, I called Shell. I said, ‘Look, please, I beg you, come and take 10 per cent equity and run the refinery for us.’ They said no. I said, ‘Okay, if you don’t want to take equity, don’t take equity. Come and run the refineries. They said no,” he stated.
The former president narrated how he invited a top official of Shell for a one-on-one conversation to know why his offers were turned down.
ALSO READ: Dangote Leads East Africa’s Industrial Revolution
“So, I called him, and I said, ‘Tell me, be honest with me. Why don’t you want to handle this?’ He said first, they want to let me know that they make most of their profits on the upstream, not the downstream.
He said they run their downstream without making a loss, but they don’t make a lot of profit from it. It’s more of a service than a major profit-making. So that’s number one.
“Number two: he said our refineries are too small. This was when I was an elected President. He said our refineries are too small. One is 60,000 barrels, and another is 100,000 barrels. He said refineries at that time were in the range of 250,000 barrels to 300,000 barrels. Number three: he said our refineries are not well-maintained. We call quacks and amateurs to come and maintain our refineries. The refineries are not in good order. He said, ‘Number four, there’s too much corruption around our refineries, and they don’t want to be part of that,” Obansanjo explained.
He recalled that he counted the country lucky then when the President of the Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, told him of the willingness to offer $750m to take 51 per cent of two of the facilities.
“Until one day, Aliko (Dangote) came and offered $750m to take two of the refineries; that will be 51 per cent. I said, ‘Wow, God, you are really a God of miracles.’ I told Aliko to bring the money quickly. They brought the money, and they paid,” he said.
However, the Balogun Owu explained further that his successor, the late Umar Yar’adua, reversed the deal after he left office, claiming he was under too much pressure from the NNPC.
He mentioned that only the current NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer, Bayo Ojulari, has said the truth about the state of the refineries so far.
“When I left office, NNPC went to my successor and convinced him. So I got up. I went to Umar. I said, ‘Look, Umar, maybe you don’t know; this is why we did what we did.’ He said, ‘Well, NNPC came to me.’ I said, ‘But you know that NNPC cannot run this thing. He said he knew. I asked, ‘Then why did you give in? He said because of pressure. And I said, ‘Look, when you sell these refineries, you will not get 200 million (dollars) for them, because you will sell them as scrap.’
“Only the present NNPC head has told the country the truth. But in the meantime, I was told that they have spent about $16bn, which is only $4bn short of what Aliko used to build Africa’s largest refinery,” Obasanjo said.
In November 2025, the NNPC announced a fresh target of June 2026 to finalise the selection of technical partners for the refineries.
Ojulari said that despite the rehabilitation and reopening of the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries in 2024 before they were later reclosed, the facilities were operating “well below international standards”, making their products commercially uncompetitive, especially compared to the privately owned Dangote refinery.
Dangote said he built his refinery after the Yar’Adua administration reversed the sale of the NNPC refineries to him and his other associates. He is also of the opinion that the NNPC refineries may never work again.
The NNPC communications office has yet to respond to messages seeking reactions to the former president’s claims.
- The Punch
NEWS
Outrage as Police Officer Who Threatened Nigerians Over Recording Breaks Silence
A Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has sparked widespread reactions online after publicly apologising for threatening Nigerians who film police officers while on duty.
The officer came under heavy criticism after a viral video showed him warning that he would “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.
Following the backlash, Isokpehi released a video on Thursday pleading with Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu for forgiveness, saying his earlier comments were made out of anger and frustration.
SEE ALSO: Six Arrested as Police Expose Inside Network Behind Oyo School Abduction
“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening,” he said.
Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer clarified that he was not against citizens filming police officers, noting that Nigerians have the right to record security personnel while carrying out their duties.
“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty,” he stated.
Isokpehi, who disclosed that he hails from Edo State and was raised in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a committed officer who has spent over 12 years serving in the Mobile Police unit.
The officer also displayed several scars and gunshot wounds on his body, claiming they were sustained during dangerous operations while serving the country.
“Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation. We have suffered in this work,” he said emotionally.
Attempting to walk back his earlier remarks, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to harm civilians.
“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.
He further appealed directly to Gwamnishu and Nigerians, admitting that the controversy had escalated beyond what he expected.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far,” he pleaded.
The apology has continued to generate mixed reactions online, with many Nigerians condemning the officer’s initial comments while others expressed sympathy over the harsh conditions faced by security personnel.
NEWS
Cubana Chief Priest Explains Why He Dumped Peter Obi for Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Nigerian socialite and businessman, Cubana Chief Priest, has explained why he shifted his political support from former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following the 2023 general elections.
Speaking during a livestream session with popular streamer Peller, the celebrity businessman said his decision was motivated by a desire to avoid repeated political disappointment.
SEE ALSO: Plateau 2027: “I’m Not in the Race to Fill Numbers” — Bida Declares War on Mutfwang
He stated that he no longer wanted to back a candidate who might lose, saying he made the switch after the last election experience.
“Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool,” he said.
Cubana Chief Priest also claimed that President Tinubu remains cautious about him due to his past political alignment with Peter Obi and his ethnic background.
According to him, the President does not fully trust him because of his previous support for the opposition during the 2023 polls.
“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” he added.
He further dismissed the chances of Peter Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing him as “not serious” and insisting that only “serious people” would emerge victorious.
The comments have since generated widespread reactions on social media, with critics accusing him of political opportunism, while others argue that his position reflects the realities of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political system.
Cubana Chief Priest was a vocal supporter of Peter Obi and the Labour Party during the 2023 elections but later aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
He currently serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement and has become more active within APC circles.
He had also obtained an APC House of Representatives nomination form but later withdrew from the primary election on the day of the exercise.
NEWS
Yobe Hospital Makes Medical History With First-Ever Lower Jaw Surgery
The Yobe State Specialist Hospital has recorded a major medical breakthrough after successfully performing its first-ever lower jaw surgery, a development described as the first of its kind in North-Eastern Nigeria.
The complex procedure, known as a segmental mandibulectomy with reconstruction, was carried out on a 40-year-old female patient suffering from mandibular ameloblastoma, a tumour affecting the jawbone.
Speaking on the achievement, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Usman Abba Giedam, said the surgery marked a significant milestone in the state’s healthcare sector.
SEE MORE: Ex-IGP Usman Alkali Baba Joins Yobe Governorship Race, Vows to End Insurgency
According to him, the operation involved the removal of a diseased section of the patient’s lower jaw and a sophisticated reconstruction using reconstruction plates and an iliac crest bone graft.
The surgery was led by Dr. Muhammad Ayuba Fusami with support from Dr. Peter Umejiego.
Giedam revealed that the patient is currently recovering well and responding positively to treatment following the successful operation.
He noted that the achievement reflects the growing capacity of the hospital to handle highly specialized medical procedures that previously required referrals outside the state.
The CMD also credited the administration of Mai Mala Buni for investing in healthcare infrastructure, medical equipment, and skilled manpower development across the state.
He added that the hospital remains committed to advancing specialized healthcare services and improving access to quality medical care for residents of Yobe State and the North-East region.





