NEWS
SOKAPU Questions FG’s inability to fight bandits, while it can easily arrest Kanu Igboho
Precious ADELOLA
ABUJA-The Southern Kaduna Peoples Union has carpeted the Federal Government over the arrest and detention of activists across the country, while it displays a questionable inability to curtail the activities of bandits, killer herdsmen and terrorism.
The umbrella body of the Southern Kaduna people urged the government to deploy the same tactics adopted in the arrest of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, and Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho, in tackling the rampaging bandits in the North.
SOKAPU’s National President, Jonathan Asake, stated this while addressing journalists in Kaduna on Thursday.
The SOKAPU leader also alleged that over 100 natives had so far been killed in communities in the Zango-Kataf Local Government Area of the state recently.
According to him, the government must stop the use of force on mere agitators, while pampering terrorists in the North.
Asake, a former House of Representatives member, said, “Again, this year, with the commencement of another rainy season, the onslaughts have resumed, which coincide with the period when our farming communities need to be on their farms.
“With particular reference are the recent attacks on communities in Zangon Kataf LGA, where no fewer than 100 persons have been massacred within seven days, 12 villages completely decimated and over 90 per cent of Atyap land deserted by inhabitants over fears of frightening uncertainties.
“It is sadly unbelievable that 10 days after these massacres and displacement in our communities from all observable indices, there appears to be a conspiracy of silence or a deliberate attempt by the government to downplay the severity of the atrocities and genocides being perpetrated by these attackers across our communities.”
On attacks and kidnapping in the North, Asake added, “We are convinced beyond doubt that the government has a capacity to combat these daredevil bandits, who have made life unbearable for our communities.
“If the government could lure the Benue militant, Terwase Akwaza, aka Gana, out of his hideout in September 2020, and later killed him; if they could trace Mazi Nnamdi Kanu to Kenya and blindfold him to Nigeria in June 2021; if they could trace Sunday Igboho to Cotonou and arrest him just a few days ago; and if they could smoke out the commander of the Eastern Security Network, Ikonso, and later kill him in April 2021, then, it clearly shows that the government has enough capacity to deal with the situation.
“We find it strange to explain how the government is unwilling to tackle banditry and kidnappings in the North, but at the same time hasty in deploying full intelligence and military force against southern and Middle Belt activists, who are engaged in one form of agitation, criminality or otherwise.
“Even when these bandits brought down an air force jet last Sunday, July 19, at the border between Zamafa and Kaduna states, thereby challenging the sovereignty of our country, the government has not shown enough action to tackle the dangers posed by bandits and insurgents, who have now acquired anti-aircraft launchers and sophisticated weapons.
“The survival, unity and progress of the Nigerian state are more threatened by the untamed atrocities of these northern bandit groups and armed Fulani herdsmen more than the actions of the Kanus, Igbohos and Terwases of the southern and Middle Belt regions.
NEWS
FAAN Clears Air on Bolt, Uber Suspension, Says Services Will Resume
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria has clarified its decision to suspend the commercial operations of ride-hailing platforms Bolt and Uber at airports under its management, saying the services will resume once their licence agreements are finalised.
FAAN said the suspension was driven by safety, security and operational concerns and was not intended to prevent passengers from accessing convenient transportation options.
The clarification followed public reactions to an internal memo dated July 30, 2026, and signed by the General Manager, Commercial Services, U.R. Liman.
SEE MORE: FAAN Bans Cash Payments At Airports Nationwide
The memo directed Regional General Managers and Airport Managers to ensure that Bolt and Uber ceased commercial operations at all FAAN-managed airports pending the finalisation and execution of their licence agreements.
The memo read: “Please be informed that pending the finalisation and execution of the License Agreement with Bolt and Uber, the authority has directed Messrs Bolt and Messrs Uber to cease all commercial operations at all FAAN-managed airports immediately. Consequently, you are to ensure that all operations of both Bolt and Uber are suspended until their License Agreements have been finalised and concluded.”
However, FAAN, in a statement issued in response to the public outcry, said its position was not aimed at limiting passengers’ access to transportation services.
“FAAN wishes to clarify that its position is not, and has never been, directed at limiting passengers’ access to transportation options or undermining the important role that e-hailing services play in providing convenient mobility to air travellers,” the authority said.
FAAN explained that airports were highly regulated environments and that commercial transportation providers operating within airport premises were required to operate under an appropriate framework that would provide adequate visibility over their vehicles and drivers.
The authority said this was necessary to ensure that transportation providers were identifiable, accountable and properly integrated into the airport’s operational and security framework.
FAAN also clarified that its ACHRAMS platform was not an e-hailing application and was not designed to compete with Uber, Bolt or other ride-hailing platforms.
“ACHRAMS is not an e-hailing application and is not intended to compete with or replicate the services provided by Uber, Bolt or any other e-hailing platform,” it stated.
According to FAAN, it had received complaints and observed operational challenges linked to commercial transportation activities within and around airport premises, including passenger solicitation and touting.
The authority said it had therefore been engaging Bolt and Uber to establish a workable operational framework that would address safety, security, accountability and passenger-experience concerns while allowing the platforms to continue serving travellers.
“The current situation should therefore not be misconstrued as FAAN declaring a blanket prohibition on e-hailing services,” FAAN said.
The authority added that it recognised the convenience and additional transportation choices provided by Bolt and Uber and appreciated concerns from passengers who might experience inconvenience while the issues were being resolved.
FAAN said it was keen to conclude the discussions with the affected operators expeditiously.
“The authority and the affected operators are currently engaged in constructive discussions towards resolving the outstanding issues, particularly those relating to passenger safety and security, operational visibility, accountability and the appropriate management of pick-up activities within the airport environment.”
NEWS
Adeleke Campaign Spokesman Makes U-Turn, Withdraws Remarks Against Okpebholo
The spokesperson for the Ademola Adeleke Governorship Campaign Council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has withdrawn remarks he made against Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, over the governor’s conduct during the Osun State governorship election campaign.
Olajengbesi, in a statement on Thursday, said he was withdrawing comments that may have appeared disrespectful to Okpebholo, who was in Osun State campaigning for the All Progressives Congress during the August 15 governorship election.
ALSO READ: Why Adeleke Defeated APC in Osun, Wike Explains
“I personally withdraw my earlier remarks that may have appeared disrespectful to the Governor of Edo State, His Excellency, Senator Monday Okpebholo,” he said.
The withdrawal followed a series of exchanges involving Okpebholo and supporters of Adeleke during and after the election.
The controversy followed comments by Okpebholo mocking Adeleke’s dancing during an APC campaign rally in Osun.
The Edo governor had questioned whether voters were tired of Adeleke’s dancing, saying the governor danced before signing documents, before breakfast and before drinking tea.
Reacting to the development, Olajengbesi said although he considered Okpebholo’s conduct during the campaign uncharitable, the election was over and political disagreements should not undermine respect for public institutions.
“Governor Monday Okpebholo was in Osun State for the election and, in my view, conducted himself in a very uncharitable manner. But the election is now over,” he said.
Olajengbesi also advised the Edo governor to communicate more through his media aides and reduce the activities of what he described as “two overzealous cheerleaders” around him.
He noted that several prominent Nigerians and APC members participated in the Osun election campaign without publicly disrespecting Adeleke or diminishing the dignity of his office.
“I therefore withdraw any statement that may have appeared unduly insulting or disrespectful. Political disagreements should never prevent us from respecting public institutions and the offices people occupy,” he said.
The development comes amid continued political exchanges following the Osun governorship election, which Adeleke won to secure a second term in office.
Olajengbesi, however, urged residents of Edo State to continue holding Okpebholo accountable, saying such scrutiny remained part of citizens’ responsibility in a democracy.
“I equally encourage the good people of Edo State to continue to hold their Governor accountable. That is the responsibility of citizens in every democracy,” he added.
The statement came days after singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, rejected calls for him to apologise to Okpebholo over an Instagram post concerning the governor’s academic credentials.
NEWS
FG, NADDC Empower NYSC Members in South-East with CNG Conversion Skills
The Federal Government has commenced a Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicle retrofitting training programme for members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in the South-East zone.
The programme, organised under the NYSC Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) initiative in collaboration with the National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC), was flagged off in Enugu on Tuesday.
Earlier, similar training had taken place last week in Abuja and in Lagos on Monday, where corps members were empowered through the training programme.
The training is designed to equip corps members with practical skills in CNG vehicle conversion and create opportunities for them to become self-reliant after their service year.
Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Youth Initiatives, Dr Titi Gbadamosi making her speech in Enugu during the training.
READ ALSO: Shell Reinforces Safety Commitment at CEO Contractors Forum
Speaking at the flag-off ceremony, the Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Youth Initiatives, Dr Titi Gbadamosi, said the initiative was part of the Federal Government’s efforts to prepare young Nigerians for the opportunities emerging from the country’s transition to alternative energy.
Gbadamosi described the NYSC programme as a critical transition between formal education and the wider world, stressing that the government had a responsibility to ensure that corps members were equipped with relevant skills before completing their service.
“It gives me pleasure to be among you today. The Enugu State camp is one of the most coordinated camps I have visited.
“The NYSC is a transition phase between school and the real world. It is our duty to make sure that the transition is not just smooth but perfect. That is why we keep improving on the SAED programme,” she said.
She urged the beneficiaries to take the training seriously, saying the CNG sector offered significant employment opportunities for young Nigerians.
According to her, following the removal of the fuel subsidy, President Tinubu decided to encourage the use of Nigeria’s abundant natural gas resources as an alternative fuel source.
She said the Federal Government had set a target of converting 100,000 vehicles to CNG annually, adding that the target would create opportunities for trained technicians and entrepreneurs in the sector.
Representative of the Director-General of NADDC, Otunba Oluwemimo Joseph Osanipin and Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations, NADDC, Ikechukwu Okoha making a speech during the training in Enugu on Tuesday.
“That is why we thought that we should also introduce CNG conversion into the SAED programme. These young Nigerians were selected from different fields of engineering.
“If you take this seriously, you are the future of the energy space in Nigeria. Your training will continue all year long so that, as you end your service, you will be a certified CNG converter,” Gbadamosi said.
She added that the initiative reflected the President’s commitment to empowering young Nigerians with practical skills that could translate into sustainable livelihoods.
Representing the Director-General of the NADDC, Otunba Oluwemimo Joseph Osanipin, at the event, Ikechukwu Okoha, Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations, said the Council was fully committed to the success of the programme.





