Connect with us

International News

South Korean President Banned From Travel Amid Martial Law Backlash

Published

on

South Korean President, Yoon Suk Yeol has been banned from leaving the country, the Justice Ministry confirmed Monday, following a week of political chaos triggered by his brief declaration of martial law.

The ban marks the first time a sitting president has faced such a restriction in the nation’s history.

Recall that on December 3, Yoon ordered special forces and helicopters to the National Assembly in an attempt to impose martial law.

RELATED NEWS: Martial Law: South Korea Opposition Files Impeachment Motion Against President Yoon

Lawmakers swiftly overturned the decree, forcing Yoon to rescind the order. Although he survived an impeachment motion on Saturday, public anger has continued to mount, with large protests demanding his resignation.

Authorities are now investigating Yoon and his close allies for their roles in last week’s events, including allegations of insurrection.

Among those facing travel bans are former Defense Minister Kim Yong-Hyun, who is in custody, and former Interior Minister Lee Sang-min.

General Park An-su, who led the martial law operation, and Defence Counterintelligence Commander Yeo In-hyung have also been barred from leaving the country.

General Park was questioned by investigators on Monday as the probe intensified.

Yoon’s impeachment failed after members of his ruling People Power Party (PPP) walked out of the National Assembly, denying the opposition the required two-thirds majority.

In exchange for their support, Yoon reportedly agreed to delegate his powers to the prime minister and the PPP chairman.

“This is an unlawful, unconstitutional act of a second insurrection and a second coup,” said Park Chan-dae, floor leader of the opposition Democratic Party.

Critics argue that Yoon’s decision to hand power to unelected officials violates the constitution.

“It seems to resemble an unconstitutional soft coup,” said Kim Hae-won, a constitutional law professor at Pusan National University.

“Their attitude of placing themselves above the constitution mirrors that of insurrectionist Yoon Suk Yeol,” added Park Chan-dae.

Despite Yoon’s apology for the “anxiety and inconvenience” caused by his martial law order, his approval rating has plummeted to 11%, according to a recent Gallup poll.

Opposition leaders have announced plans for a second impeachment vote on Saturday, with massive protests expected outside the National Assembly.

The PPP’s claim that Yoon can remain in office while delegating his powers to party officials has also been widely criticized.

“If there are issues with the president, the constitution lays out clear procedures, such as suspension or impeachment,” said Professor Kim Hae-won.

The ongoing crisis has raised concerns about South Korea’s leadership amid tensions with nuclear-armed North Korea.

The Defense Ministry confirmed Monday that Yoon remains the official commander in chief, despite questions about his authority.

“Legally, (control of military forces) currently lies with the commander in chief,” said Defense Ministry spokesperson Jeon Ha-Kyou.

 

 

1 Comment
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Polish News
1 year ago

There’s a quiet elegance in the way you express your thoughts, each word chosen with such care and precision.

International News

Fresh Violence Rocks Mali as France Orders Citizens to Evacuate

Published

on

The government of France has issued an urgent directive to its citizens in Mali, advising them to leave the country immediately following a fresh wave of violent attacks.

In a travel advisory released on Wednesday, the French foreign ministry described the security situation in Mali as “extremely volatile,” citing recent assaults carried out by jihadist groups and Tuareg separatist fighters over the weekend.

ALSO READ: Mali’s Junta Leader Assimi Goita Grants Himself Unlimited Presidential Mandate

According to the statement, all travel to Mali remains strongly discouraged regardless of purpose, as authorities warned that the risk to foreign nationals has significantly increased.

“French nationals are advised to make arrangements to leave Mali temporarily as soon as possible on the commercial flights that are still available,” the ministry said.

The advisory comes amid renewed concerns over instability in the Sahel region, where armed groups have continued to intensify their operations despite years of military interventions.

President Emmanuel Macron has repeatedly expressed concern over the deteriorating security climate in Mali, particularly following the withdrawal of foreign forces and the growing influence of insurgent factions.

Mali has been grappling with insecurity since 2012, as jihadist insurgency, separatist tensions, and political unrest continue to undermine stability in the country.

Continue Reading

International News

Why UK Is Moving to Restrict Children’s Access to Social Media

Published

on

The United Kingdom is considering sweeping new restrictions that could limit or completely block children under the age of 16 from accessing social media platforms, as part of a broader push to improve online safety and reduce excessive screen time among young users.

The proposal, currently under government consultation, is being led by Prime Minister Keir Starmer and focuses on addressing concerns over how teenagers interact with platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.

ALSO READ: UK Says ‘No Entry’ to Kanye West Ahead of Big Comeback Show

Officials say the move is driven by growing evidence and public concern that algorithm-driven feeds and “endless scrolling” features may be negatively affecting children’s sleep patterns, concentration levels, and overall well-being.

The government is also reviewing whether additional measures such as app curfews and time limits should be introduced.

Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said the consultation has already attracted widespread public input, with tens of thousands of responses from parents, teenagers, and advocacy groups.

She noted that the government is particularly interested in feedback on addictive platform design features and the use of AI tools targeting younger users.

The UK is also studying policies already implemented in other countries. Australia has introduced stricter age-based restrictions, while Greece and Indonesia have also moved toward tighter regulation of children’s access to social media.

Authorities emphasize that no final decision has been made, but the consultation process is expected to shape future legislation on how tech companies operate and how young users are protected online in the digital age.

Continue Reading

International News

You Won’t Believe What Trump Said About Pope Leo

Published

on

U.S. President Donald Trump has sparked global reactions following his remarks about Pope Leo XIV after the Pope’s recent anti-war message calling for peace in conflict-hit regions.

The controversy began after Pope Leo XIV delivered a strong appeal at the Vatican, urging world leaders to end ongoing wars and prioritise dialogue over violenceviolence.

ALSO READ: Melania Trump to Preside Over UN Council as Middle East Burns

The pontiff warned against the “idolatry of power” and called for global cooperation to restore peace.

Reacting to the message, Trump told reporters he is “not a big fan” of Pope Leo XIV, describing him as “very liberal” and questioning his views on crime and international security.

The U.S. President further criticised the Pope’s stance on global conflicts, suggesting his message overlooks serious security challenges linked to rising geopolitical tensions, including nuclear concerns.

In a follow-up post on Truth Social, Trump intensified his criticism, accusing the Pope of taking a weak position on foreign policy matters and suggesting political factors influenced his leadership position.

The comments have since triggered widespread debate across political and religious circles, adding to ongoing tensions between Washington and the Vatican over issues such as immigration policy, military action, and global diplomacy.

While both sides have previously denied any formal rift, the latest exchange has renewed global attention on their differing positions regarding war and peace efforts.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022. Biztellers, powered by Alphaxristi.

1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x